Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Audio Versions

Jim Dale Audio

I haven't heard the other audios but I am a fan of Jim Dale since going through the Harry Potter series with him. He does another great job of inventing voices for all the characters. The only problem I have is that I've listened to some 100 hours of his Harry Potters, and though he does manage to come up with new voices, I associate his voice with that series. His Scrooge is a cross between Sirius and Mundungas (and that is quite a combination!) to my ear and the first ghost sounds a bit like Dumbledore with a bit of Voldemort thrown in (another interesting combination!). I've only listened to the first disk so far.

Barbara
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Re: Audio Versions

[ Edited ]
I'll have to try and find this version! I love Jim Dale! Although I've only heard him read the Harry Potter series. (I too will be thinking of the HP character voices.)

(Sorry ConnieK~I always have HP on the brain!)

BarbaraN wrote:
Jim Dale Audio

I haven't heard the other audios but I am a fan of Jim Dale since going through the Harry Potter series with him. He does another great job of inventing voices for all the characters. The only problem I have is that I've listened to some 100 hours of his Harry Potters, and though he does manage to come up with new voices, I associate his voice with that series. His Scrooge is a cross between Sirius and Mundungas (and that is quite a combination!) to my ear and the first ghost sounds a bit like Dumbledore with a bit of Voldemort thrown in (another interesting combination!). I've only listened to the first disk so far.

Barbara

Message Edited by PEGSmom on 11-27-2007 02:00 PM
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Interesting. I wonder if this phenomenon happens frequently with audio books, or if it's mainly a problem when one listens to a long series like HP all wih one actor. Hmm...

~ConnieK

PEGSmom wrote:
I'll have to try and find this version! I love Jim Dale! Although I've only heard him read the Harry Potter series. (I too will be thinking of the HP character voices.)

(Sorry ConnieK~I always have HP on the brain!)

BarbaraN wrote:
Jim Dale Audio

Barbara

Message Edited by PEGSmom on 11-27-2007 02:00 PM

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

BarbaraN--Are you warming up to the Jim Dale audio version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, or does he remain too 'Potter-pinned' for your ear?

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
BarbaraN--Are you warming up to the Jim Dale audio version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, or does he remain too 'Potter-pinned' for your ear?

~ConnieK

Actually, I like it very much. He does a superb job. It was just that I had listened to so many hours of Dale doing Harry Potter that it is hard not to associate his voice with that series.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks, BarbaraN. I thought perhaps after listening for awhile, Dale reading Dickens's prose might take you away. Voices are so distinct, though, that your earlier comment had me wondering if Potter had 'ruined' any future Dale narrations for you.

~ConnieK

BarbaraN wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

Actually, I like it very much. He does a superb job. It was just that I had listened to so many hours of Dale doing Harry Potter that it is hard not to associate his voice with that series.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online:55 members 493 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: