Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Cast the Next Film Adaptation

[ Edited ]
Many of you are interested in the various film adaptations of the novel. If you were going to cast a new interpretation of this book into film, what actors would you choose to play which parts, and why? Scrooge? Marley? Tiny Tim? Others?

Apparently, Jim Carrey is slated to play Scrooge and the 3 ghosts in a new adaptation coming from Disney.

What do you think of this choice?

I'm thinking Alan Rickman (of "Severus Snape" fame) might make a good Scrooge!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 12-20-2007 03:34 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: Cast the Next Film Adaptation

There's nothing wrong with the Patrick Stewart or George C. Scott versions. New is not generally better, and literature has already been Disnified too much.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

I think I know what you mean. Jim Carrey is an energetic actor, [ although he still mainly plays "Jim Carrey" in all his roles ]... but playing all those four parts seems a bit too much- sort of turning the story into a vehicle for his own brand of humor, and sort of turning it into a kind of game....My choice for Scrooge would possibly be Hugh Laurie, who could certainly carry off the sour, sardonic, sarcastic and mean Scrooge character...I don't really have any opinions on who should play the other parts--- we never go to first-run movies, and catch up on everything via Network [ no Cable ] TV, and by checking out videos from the library...[ so were not always up on who the "Actors Du Jour" are ] ... but I would tend to favor the best of the British actors that might still be available...Perhaps some of the actors who have appeared in "Masterpiece Theater", or "Mystery"- and there would have to be a spot for the great Ian McKellan, who proved himself such a fantastic actor and presence in "The Lord Of The Rings" movies...
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

I guess I got a little carried away on a bit of a tangent with that last reply- I mainly wanted to say that I agree that too many of our Cultural "Icons" [ sorry about that overused word ] have already been "Disneyfied"...I saw the George C. Scott version when it first aired on TV- I remember it as being adequate, but still lacking in some way...I don't think I've seen the Patrick Stewart version yet, though...I think there is always room for another QUALITY production of the story, however...But in the proposed Jim Carrey version, it sounds like the emphasis is all going to be on the special-effects, and on the Jim Carrey personality.
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Users Online
Currently online:20 members 286 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: