Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
Welcome to the Barnes & Noble.com Book Clubs, Abbie! I hope you enjoy the reading group. I have Irish "roots", and I've been to your fair country a couple of times. I always crave going back. I have family in County Mayo. Feel free to ask me any questions about the book clubs. Many readers really enjoy being able to discuss books from the comfort of their homes with readers from all around the world.

I'm also wondering why you have a bias against Dickens. Is it because you "had" to read him in school, or something like that?

~ConnieK

AbbieHalpin wrote:
Hi, I'm Abbie, from Ireland. Just recently I've got a broadband connection which allows me access to the wonderful world of the internet, and to an online reading group. This is my first time to participate in such a group. I'm looking forward to it - I live, by choice, in a pretty remote place and don't meet too many people with whom to discuss books. I do have one longtime friend... but we're so longtime that our ideas on books have become rather predictable to each other. So I'm looking forward to exposure to a much wider variety of opinions and from people that I'd otherwise never meet.
As for "A Christmas Carol" - I've been reading for over 40 years, but I've never read this book! Nor have I seen it on stage, heard it on radio, or met up with it in any other way! I think I grew up with some kind of prejudice against Dickens. Well, it's time to let go of that... at least to decide as an adult with my own mind whether I like Dickens or not. So tomorrow I'm off to my local library where, according to their online catalogue, the book is in stock in the "children's" section... Ha!
I'll catch up with you later.
Cheers, Abbie

Message Edited by ConnieK on 12-01-2007 04:08 PM

Message Edited by ConnieK on 12-01-2007 04:09 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
perfect_hostess
0 Kudos

Hi!

I'm Michelle. I'm a journalist who loves to read. I think the secret to a good writer lies in being a good reader.

I've read A Christmas Carol at least three times before in my life, and am reading it again for this group and another online book group at goodreads.com.

I absolutely LOVE Dickens, and am looking forward to discussing it with people who actually care about reading instead of a bunch of people sitting in a classroom who were forced to read!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Michelle! I hope you enjoy discussing the book here.

~ConnieK

perfect_hostess wrote:
Hi!

I'm Michelle. I'm a journalist who loves to read. I think the secret to a good writer lies in being a good reader.

I've read A Christmas Carol at least three times before in my life, and am reading it again for this group and another online book group at goodreads.com.

I absolutely LOVE Dickens, and am looking forward to discussing it with people who actually care about reading instead of a bunch of people sitting in a classroom who were forced to read!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
LottyAnn
0 Kudos

I read A Christmas Carol for the first time this year, but I wish I hadn't waited so long. I began teaching it this week. My two fourteen-year-old students have never heard the story before or seen any of the film versions.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

LottyAnn wrote:
I read A Christmas Carol for the first time this year, but I wish I hadn't waited so long. I began teaching it this week. My two fourteen-year-old students have never heard the story before or seen any of the film versions.

Wow! That seems impossible! Didn't you and your students ever hear of the book? If so, it didn't rouse up your curiousity about the book? It seems I have watched and read about the Christmas Carol a thousand times or more in my lifetime which is long of course.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

LottyAnn wrote:

Wow! That seems impossible! Didn't you and your students ever hear of the book? If so, it didn't rouse up your curiousity about the book? It seems I have watched and read about the Christmas Carol a thousand times or more in my lifetime which is long of course.

This was the first time I read it as well. It is one of those things you never get around to reading even though you aware of it. Like living in an area and never seeing the usual tourist sites. You know they are there and you will get around to them someday. This group gave me the incentive to finally read it.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

BarbaraN wrote:

kiakar wrote:

LottyAnn wrote:

This was the first time I read it as well. It is one of those things you never get around to reading even though you aware of it. Like living in an area and never seeing the usual tourist sites. You know they are there and you will get around to them someday. This group gave me the incentive to finally read it.

I know you are happy you did. It is a tradional Christmas story everywhere. And so many good lessons at Christmas to learn from it.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, LottyAnn! I hope you'll share some of your experience in teaching the novel with us. It's surprising that the story is so new to your 14-year-old students, but how nice for them that they're encountering it in the original form first!

~ConnieK

LottyAnn wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
earp30wyatt
0 Kudos

Hello all!

I have read A CHRISTMAS CAROL numerous times. I read the whole story outloud to my sons when they were younger,and now every year I read it all again. I also read a shortened version to my class of 5th graders. They love it!

I also ordered a book by his great grandson, Cedric Dickens,and I used it last year to throw A CHRISTMAS CAROL Christmas party for my bookclub. We listened to Gerald Dickens do a dramatization of the story on a Cd,and listened, to each stave with appetizers, and drinks between for breaks, then a full meal, then drinks, then CHRISTMAS PUDDING,and then before the last stave we did presents, and at the end did a toast to GOD BLESS US, EVERYONE! We used recipes from Cedric's book,and my wife and I provided the turkey,and the stuffing,and everyone else brought a dish to share. It was great!!! Everyone raved on and on about what a nice evening it was, and have asked if we can do a repeat performance someday,and i said yes! I loved doing it, that's for sure.

So, to answer your question, I've read the book many times,and need to again for this annual read this year. I also highly recommend the Alistar Sims movie version from 1951.
It's by far the best movie version ever!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

That party sounds like a lot of fun! You must have had a blast!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to the book club, earp! The party sounds like a hoot!

~ConnieK

earp30wyatt wrote:
Hello all!

I have read A CHRISTMAS CAROL numerous times. I read the whole story outloud to my sons when they were younger,and now every year I read it all again. I also read a shortened version to my class of 5th graders. They love it!

I also ordered a book by his great grandson, Cedric Dickens,and I used it last year to throw A CHRISTMAS CAROL Christmas party for my bookclub. We listened to Gerald Dickens do a dramatization of the story on a Cd,and listened, to each stave with appetizers, and drinks between for breaks, then a full meal, then drinks, then CHRISTMAS PUDDING,and then before the last stave we did presents, and at the end did a toast to GOD BLESS US, EVERYONE! We used recipes from Cedric's book,and my wife and I provided the turkey,and the stuffing,and everyone else brought a dish to share. It was great!!! Everyone raved on and on about what a nice evening it was, and have asked if we can do a repeat performance someday,and i said yes! I loved doing it, that's for sure.

So, to answer your question, I've read the book many times,and need to again for this annual read this year. I also highly recommend the Alistar Sims movie version from 1951.
It's by far the best movie version ever!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

Hi everybody!
I'm Emmy. I just finished reading A Christmas Carol before Christmas for school. We watched the movie too. Before that, I had just seen the Mickey version
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 263 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: