Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Welcome, WJewel! Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well. Feel free to post early and often!

~ConnieK



WJewel wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I was in the play for about five years when I was in high school. I also took two different English classes when I was a junior (I think...long time ago now!) with the same teacher and he read "A Christmas Carol" to the class in both of them. I was dreaming about it as I went through rehearsals and listened to the book twice a day! It has been a long while since I read it and should pick it up again. I look forward to participating in dicussions of this and other books. Literature was one of my favorite classes.


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Welcome, Rachael! You've given me the good idea of starting a thread for film adaptations of the book. That will be an interesting discussion as well. Thanks!

~ConnieK



Rachael_Grimes wrote:
I absolutely love this story and all versions of this story from my first exposre of this story in "Mickey's Christmas Carol," to a few Black and white versions to The mupets version... and the radio station that I listend to, while staying up late one night Christmas eve night, when I was a young child. This story captured my heart in a way no other story has. I hope those of you who have never read it before enjoy it as much as I have... as I re-read it with you all... emjoy


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Welcome, Linda! Feel free to post early and often!

~ConnieK



LindaEducation wrote:
Hello, my name is Linda and I love to read (and write as a hobby).

I am excited to be here. I love Charles Dickens: The Chistmas Carol. I remember reading it when I was younger, and looking forward to discussing it again with others.

Seasons Greetings!


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
New User
smudgecat
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎11-21-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi my name is Steve and I have read the original A Christmas Carol that was actually a series of magazine short stories published in the UK
New User
tomjoad147
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I have been regularly reading "A Christmas Carol" during the Christmas season since I was in high school(long, long ago.) I also watch at least one of the film versions every Christmas eve. My favorite is the 1951 Alistair Sims movie, but the recent version starring George C. Scott is also very good. I am a big fan of Dickens and read (or reread) one of his novels every year. Most recently I read "Bleak House." My favorite Dickens novel, after "A Christmas Carol" is "Barnaby Rudge."
New User
Rae-Ann
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello and Good Evening,

I am from Peoria and this is my first online book club. I have read "A Christmas Carol" every year for the last ten years. Worse, I have probably 10 or 15 film versions (Alistair Sim, Albert Finney, Patrick Stewart, Muppets, etc.) and watch every single one every year in addition to reading the book. I think I have an addiction to the story.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Surprisingly, I have never actually read this book, though I think everyone knows the story by heart. I have seen some of the movies. I am looking forward to reading it for the first time. I guess we don't have to worry about spoilers with this book!

Barbara
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I decided to order the Annotated version of A Christmas Carol. It might make for some more interesting discussions and you people who read it every year might want to find out more about the book as well:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=CDCCCLASSIC&EAN=97803...

Connie, is there any special reason that I should get the recommended book version?

I also ordered the Jim Dale audio. He did such super job on the Harry Potter series.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=CDCCCLASSIC&EAN=97814...

There are several other audios by Patrick Stewart, Paul Scofield and Anton Lessor, all with excellent reviews. If others get audios as well, maybe we can discuss the various versions.

I also ordered three of the movies: George Scott, Alastair Sims and Patrick Steward, though this story seems to come in many (some amusing) forms:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.asp?quickSearchType=TTL&FRM=0&quickSearchText=a+chris...
New User
Yellowfog1
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-21-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

"If you were shipwrecked on an island, what book would you bring?" If I had to answer this question, I'd have to say "A Christmas Carol." I graduate in May with a Master's in British Lit and my focus has been the transition from the Romantic Gothic to the Victorian Gothic. "A Christmas Carol" is a very frightening read and I would definitely consider it to be a Victorian Gothic! I llloooovvvveeee Dicken's imagery! He really was a common genius. My grandfather used to read this story to me when I was finally old enough to handle the Christmas spirits. Now I read it at least once a year during the holiday season.

PS--Did you know that the film adaptation whose dialogue is most faithful to the novel is "A Muppet's Christmas Carol?" If you haven't seen it, please treat yourself. Even though it is a children's film, Sir Michael Caine is brilliant as Scrooge.

Happy Holidays to all and thanks for sharing your comments concerning this wonderful classic.
When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


Yellowfog1 wrote:
"If you were shipwrecked on an island, what book would you bring?" If I had to answer this question, I'd have to say "A Christmas Carol." I graduate in May with a Master's in British Lit and my focus has been the transition from the Romantic Gothic to the Victorian Gothic. "A Christmas Carol" is a very frightening read and I would definitely consider it to be a Victorian Gothic! I llloooovvvveeee Dicken's imagery! He really was a common genius. My grandfather used to read this story to me when I was finally old enough to handle the Christmas spirits. Now I read it at least once a year during the holiday season.

PS--Did you know that the film adaptation whose dialogue is most faithful to the novel is "A Muppet's Christmas Carol?" If you haven't seen it, please treat yourself. Even though it is a children's film, Sir Michael Caine is brilliant as Scrooge.

Happy Holidays to all and thanks for sharing your comments concerning this wonderful classic.




This is the first time I've actually read the story but I never thought of it as Victorian Gothic. I'm really looking forward to your comments. Thanks for the tip on the Muppets. I would never have considered these versions, but after reading your comments, I looked at the reviews and people loved it (except for the comments of Disney ruining the recent release by leaving out a song). See you on the board next week when the discussions get underway.
New User
irishwisdom
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello to everyone! I've read and attended B & N's book club on A Christmas Carol a year or so ago -- but I would love to read it again, especially this time of year. This is, I believe the first time that I've attended the bookclub since it changed the format. Looking forward to finding out what other's think and learning from everyone. Thanks, Irishwisdom
New User
smudgecat
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎11-21-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I am glad to hear a true Christmas Carol Fan Speak
To date there are over 75 modify versions of the story.

Very few are even close. Most would not be entertained with the true version it would not be something you would read to the kids that is certain.
As for the Muppets that is a Christmas tradition in our house
New User
readaholic
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group!

Also, most of us already know the story of A Christmas Carol, but how many of you have actually read the original before?


Hi, my name is Judy. I've never participated in an online book club before, but when I saw a discussion of "A Christmas Carol," I couldn't resist. I read this book every Christmas, beginning with the first day of Christmas break (I'm a teacher).
New User
lvivas
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello Everyone,
My name is Lori. This is my first time participating in a book club. I'm very excited. I have not actually read the original, so I am looking forward to the experience.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


lvivas wrote:
Hello Everyone,
My name is Lori. This is my first time participating in a book club. I'm very excited. I have not actually read the original, so I am looking forward to the experience.




Oh, good! I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world who had not read A Christmas Carol (especially every year!). It will be fun having some one else talking about the book from a first-time perspective. The actual discussions start Monday, which is fortunate, since I haven't received by goodies yet--book, audio CDs, and movies.

I might go out and buy the Muppet movie--but that is proving to be difficult. Seems there is only one B&N store near me that has it in stock. And I live in Los Angeles and have five B&Ns within a few miles! I could not buy the annotated version of the book or the Jim Dale audio at any B&N store in my area either and had to order them online and wait for them.
New User
X-RayWitch
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

This is my first on-line book club. I'm Linda, an X-ray tech from Staten Island NYC.

I've read "A Christmas Carol" every year for about 15-20 years. I have a lovely Hildebrandt illustrated copy packed in with all the Christmas stuff, so I know it's there for the holidays.

I recommend another book about "A Christmas Carol", "A Midnight Carol: A Novel of how Charles Dickens Saved Christmas" by Patricia K. Davis. It is supposed to be based on a true story.

I first fell in love with the Christmas Carol story with the old Mr. Magoo cartoon version. My favorite version is with Patrick Stewart, although the Muppet version is a lot of fun as well.
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.-- Brian Andreas
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi Everyone!

I am Choisya from Over the Pond. I am a 74 year old widow living alone, and reading and gardening are my hobbies. I am also Dickens fan so look forward to sharing this reading with you all at this very appropriate time of year.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



Choisya wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am Choisya from Over the Pond. I am a 74 year old widow living alone, and reading and gardening are my hobbies. I am also Dickens fan so look forward to sharing this reading with you all at this very appropriate time of year.

Happy Thanksgiving!




Great we have a British "translator" in the group! I'm in awe, Choisya, have you actually made 5,263 posts! That has to be the B&N record.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


BarbaraN wrote:


Choisya wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am Choisya from Over the Pond. I am a 74 year old widow living alone, and reading and gardening are my hobbies. I am also Dickens fan so look forward to sharing this reading with you all at this very appropriate time of year.

Happy Thanksgiving!




Great we have a British "translator" in the group! I'm in awe, Choisya, have you actually made 5,263 posts! That has to be the B&N record.




Yep, you look like the record holder. Virtually everyone is below 1,500. The only ones I found who topped that were psychee, in second place at 3,500 (way below you), then Everyman at 2,985, and finally Laurel at 2,754.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
LOL. I expect most of mine are nonsense Barbara! Laurel's certainly represent quality. It is just that now that I am retired most of my idle life is spent either gardening, reading or surfing the internet, in the winter mostly reading and surfing:smileyhappy:. I have been posting on BNU and BNBC for nearly 5 years and enjoy interacting here with the many friends I have made, some of whom I have met in England. I am unlikely to contribute much to this club though, as I am otherwise engaged in a couple of others.

If folks don't like my many posts or links they can ignore them:smileyvery-happy:.




BarbaraN wrote:

BarbaraN wrote:


Choisya wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am Choisya from Over the Pond. I am a 74 year old widow living alone, and reading and gardening are my hobbies. I am also Dickens fan so look forward to sharing this reading with you all at this very appropriate time of year.

Happy Thanksgiving!




Great we have a British "translator" in the group! I'm in awe, Choisya, have you actually made 5,263 posts! That has to be the B&N record.




Yep, you look like the record holder. Virtually everyone is below 1,500. The only ones I found who topped that were psychee, in second place at 3,500 (way below you), then Everyman at 2,985, and finally Laurel at 2,754.



Message Edited by Choisya on 11-25-2007 10:12 AM
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 265 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: