Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi! My name is Dawn and I've read the original story a few times - and seen a number of versions of the movie - including the Mr. Magoo animated version!! :smileyhappy:
Charles Dickens is one of my favorite authors. I'm looking forward to the discussions about the book!
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

What a great way to start the Christmas Holiday... I love Dickens's story of giving. I can not wait to reread this classic.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I'm Denise from Massachusetts. I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend here, but I'll try to drop in now and again. I received my first copy of A Christmas Carol when I was about three (I'm 50 now!), and have read it many, many times. Whether I read it to myself way back then or not, I can't remember, but I did teach myself to read at that age so that I didn't have to be dependent on others to read to me. That might have been a bit ambitious, though, although the book was a fairly large format and illustrated (I still have it). I took the Christmas Lit class here at BNU a couple of years ago, and studied it again then.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Steve! Can you imagine a serial like that today?

~Connie

smudgecat wrote:
Hi my name is Steve and I have read the original A Christmas Carol that was actually a series of magazine short stories published in the UK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, tomjoad147! I hope you'll share some of the insights you must have gained with being so familiar with the book.

~ConnieK

tomjoad147 wrote:
I have been regularly reading "A Christmas Carol" during the Christmas season since I was in high school(long, long ago.) I also watch at least one of the film versions every Christmas eve. My favorite is the 1951 Alistair Sims movie, but the recent version starring George C. Scott is also very good. I am a big fan of Dickens and read (or reread) one of his novels every year. Most recently I read "Bleak House." My favorite Dickens novel, after "A Christmas Carol" is "Barnaby Rudge."

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to the book clubs, Rae-Ann! Wow--you actually watch all 10-15 film versions *every year* in addition to re-reading the book? You simply MUST tell us what you find so compelling about the story that it's become such a ritual for you! So interesting!

~ConnieK

Rae-Ann wrote:
Hello and Good Evening,

I am from Peoria and this is my first online book club. I have read "A Christmas Carol" every year for the last ten years. Worse, I have probably 10 or 15 film versions (Alistair Sim, Albert Finney, Patrick Stewart, Muppets, etc.) and watch every single one every year in addition to reading the book. I think I have an addiction to the story.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, BarbaraN! You know what--I didn't even think of the no-need-for-spoilers with this one, but I think you're right!

~ConnieK

BarbaraN wrote:
Surprisingly, I have never actually read this book, though I think everyone knows the story by heart. I have seen some of the movies. I am looking forward to reading it for the first time. I guess we don't have to worry about spoilers with this book!

Barbara

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

BarbaraN--You're tempting me with that Jim Dale audio version. To hear him "do" Scrooge would be worth the price of admission! You can follow along in any edition (so, no; no need in particular to get B&N's). The B&N edition sometimes has additional contextual information or illustrations that are historical and/or interesting.

Let me know if you'd like a breakdown of what the B&N edition offers.

~ConnieK

BarbaraN wrote:
I decided to order the Annotated version of A Christmas Carol. It might make for some more interesting discussions and you people who read it every year might want to find out more about the book as well:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=CDCCCLASSIC&EAN=97803...

Connie, is there any special reason that I should get the recommended book version?

I also ordered the Jim Dale audio. He did such super job on the Harry Potter series.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=CDCCCLASSIC&EAN=97814...

There are several other audios by Patrick Stewart, Paul Scofield and Anton Lessor, all with excellent reviews. If others get audios as well, maybe we can discuss the various versions.

I also ordered three of the movies: George Scott, Alastair Sims and Patrick Steward, though this story seems to come in many (some amusing) forms:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.asp?quickSearchType=TTL&FRM=0&quickSearchText=a+chris...

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Yellowfog1--Thank you so much for saying that about the Muppets version--that has always been my favorite, though I have not seen all the film adaptations. Now, I know, on your good authority, why it may be that I like it so much!

Congrats on nearly finishing your degree! I hope you'll share your insights about this story for us! That would be a treat for everyone.

btw: What's a good discussion question that you'd like to see asked? You can always start a thread on your own and get that going!

~ConnieK

Yellowfog1 wrote:
"If you were shipwrecked on an island, what book would you bring?" If I had to answer this question, I'd have to say "A Christmas Carol." I graduate in May with a Master's in British Lit and my focus has been the transition from the Romantic Gothic to the Victorian Gothic. "A Christmas Carol" is a very frightening read and I would definitely consider it to be a Victorian Gothic! I llloooovvvveeee Dicken's imagery! He really was a common genius. My grandfather used to read this story to me when I was finally old enough to handle the Christmas spirits. Now I read it at least once a year during the holiday season.

PS--Did you know that the film adaptation whose dialogue is most faithful to the novel is "A Muppet's Christmas Carol?" If you haven't seen it, please treat yourself. Even though it is a children's film, Sir Michael Caine is brilliant as Scrooge.

Happy Holidays to all and thanks for sharing your comments concerning this wonderful classic.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, irishwisdom! It's a perennial classic, so it's always great to come back to, don't you think? I look forward to reading your comments!

~ConnieK

irishwisdom wrote:
Hello to everyone! I've read and attended B & N's book club on A Christmas Carol a year or so ago -- but I would love to read it again, especially this time of year. This is, I believe the first time that I've attended the bookclub since it changed the format. Looking forward to finding out what other's think and learning from everyone. Thanks, Irishwisdom

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, smudgecat--Over 75 modified versions? Amazing.

~ConnieK

smudgecat wrote:
I am glad to hear a true Christmas Carol Fan Speak
To date there are over 75 modify versions of the story.

Very few are even close. Most would not be entertained with the true version it would not be something you would read to the kids that is certain.
As for the Muppets that is a Christmas tradition in our house

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, readaholic! So glad to have you here. Jump right in and discuss whenever you like. And enjoy that time off coming up--I know your secret--that teachers always need the break more than the students! Ha. :smileywink:

~ConnieK

readaholic wrote:

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group!

Also, most of us already know the story of A Christmas Carol, but how many of you have actually read the original before?

Hi, my name is Judy. I've never participated in an online book club before, but when I saw a discussion of "A Christmas Carol," I couldn't resist. I read this book every Christmas, beginning with the first day of Christmas break (I'm a teacher).

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Well, welcome, Lori! We're glad to have you here at the BN.com Book Clubs. They are easy to participate in, and so much fun! I hope you'll feel free to jump right in! Be sure to let me know if you ever have any questions.

~ConnieK

lvivas wrote:
Hello Everyone,
My name is Lori. This is my first time participating in a book club. I'm very excited. I have not actually read the original, so I am looking forward to the experience.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Linda! It's so great to see so many new readers here on the book clubs. Feel free to jump into the discussion--or start a topic of your own--at any time at all! I hope you enjoy the experience.

~ConnieK

X-RayWitch wrote:
This is my first on-line book club. I'm Linda, an X-ray tech from Staten Island NYC.

I've read "A Christmas Carol" every year for about 15-20 years. I have a lovely Hildebrandt illustrated copy packed in with all the Christmas stuff, so I know it's there for the holidays.

I recommend another book about "A Christmas Carol", "A Midnight Carol: A Novel of how Charles Dickens Saved Christmas" by Patricia K. Davis. It is supposed to be based on a true story.

I first fell in love with the Christmas Carol story with the old Mr. Magoo cartoon version. My favorite version is with Patrick Stewart, although the Muppet version is a lot of fun as well.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Choisya! Please, please, please give us lots of British perspective on the story and its context--ok?! It would be such a treat for everyone.

~ConnieK

Choisya wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am Choisya from Over the Pond. I am a 74 year old widow living alone, and reading and gardening are my hobbies. I am also Dickens fan so look forward to sharing this reading with you all at this very appropriate time of year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Dawn! Jump right in on the discussions at any time. You can also start one of your own by clicking on "New Message."

~ConnieK

Deltadawn wrote:
Hi! My name is Dawn and I've read the original story a few times - and seen a number of versions of the movie - including the Mr. Magoo animated version!! :smileyhappy:
Charles Dickens is one of my favorite authors. I'm looking forward to the discussions about the book!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Kourt! I agree. This should put us right in the spirit, don't you think?

~ConnieK

Kourt wrote:
What a great way to start the Christmas Holiday... I love Dickens's story of giving. I can not wait to reread this classic.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Denise! A class in Christmas Lit. sounds so great. I hope you'll chime in here and share some of what you learned!

~ConnieK

dulcinea3 wrote:
I'm Denise from Massachusetts. I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend here, but I'll try to drop in now and again. I received my first copy of A Christmas Carol when I was about three (I'm 50 now!), and have read it many, many times. Whether I read it to myself way back then or not, I can't remember, but I did teach myself to read at that age so that I didn't have to be dependent on others to read to me. That might have been a bit ambitious, though, although the book was a fairly large format and illustrated (I still have it). I took the Christmas Lit class here at BNU a couple of years ago, and studied it again then.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
AbbieHalpin
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Abbie, from Ireland. Just recently I've got a broadband connection which allows me access to the wonderful world of the internet, and to an online reading group. This is my first time to participate in such a group. I'm looking forward to it - I live, by choice, in a pretty remote place and don't meet too many people with whom to discuss books. I do have one longtime friend... but we're so longtime that our ideas on books have become rather predictable to each other. So I'm looking forward to exposure to a much wider variety of opinions and from people that I'd otherwise never meet.
As for "A Christmas Carol" - I've been reading for over 40 years, but I've never read this book! Nor have I seen it on stage, heard it on radio, or met up with it in any other way! I think I grew up with some kind of prejudice against Dickens. Well, it's time to let go of that... at least to decide as an adult with my own mind whether I like Dickens or not. So tomorrow I'm off to my local library where, according to their online catalogue, the book is in stock in the "children's" section... Ha!
I'll catch up with you later.
Cheers, Abbie
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Ironically they are showing "A Christmas Carol" play at a Theatre near me. Started yesterday and runs throughout the weekend. I won't be able to attend, but maybe next year.
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Users Online
Currently online:50 members 350 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: