Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group!

Also, most of us already know the story of A Christmas Carol, but how many of you have actually read the original before?
New User
Kepikana
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello.
My name is Kepikana and this will be my first online book club. I have never read the book, but have seen "A Christmas Carol" play many of times.
New User
maybemd
0 Kudos

Hi All!

I enjoy writing short stories and believe one way to learn the craft is to study the masters. Read A Christmas Carol a couple years ago. Dickens was an excellent writer; his pacing, settings, plot and character development, and use of dialogue are all wonderful. He even manages to end on a cheery note, one that rings hope for all of us.

If I could learn to write like Dickens, I'd be quite happy.
"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
- Margaret Chittenden
Contributor
Gypsy
0 Kudos

I first read "A Christmas Carol" in junior high school. I've reread it many times since, as well as seeing various versions on TV and in the movies. Even wrote a stage play of it for the amateur theater group I once belonged to. I love Dickens and have read most of his books. My favorite is "A Tale of Two Cities" but Christmas means Scrooge. I'll be reading it again this year.
New User
DocEvans007
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.

My name is Mark and this is my first online book club. Im very excited. Ive read a Christmas Carol every year after Thanksgiving for the past 15 years and I find something new in it each time. I am really looking forward to our conversations.
New User
jtor
0 Kudos

I'm a nice girl from NJ. For several years, my family has been reading A Christmas Carol out loud on Christmas Eve. I'm looking forward to gaining new perspectives from the group.
New User
WJewel
0 Kudos

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I was in the play for about five years when I was in high school. I also took two different English classes when I was a junior (I think...long time ago now!) with the same teacher and he read "A Christmas Carol" to the class in both of them. I was dreaming about it as I went through rehearsals and listened to the book twice a day! It has been a long while since I read it and should pick it up again. I look forward to participating in dicussions of this and other books. Literature was one of my favorite classes.
Contributor
Rachael_Grimes
0 Kudos

I absolutely love this story and all versions of this story from my first exposre of this story in "Mickey's Christmas Carol," to a few Black and white versions to The mupets version... and the radio station that I listend to, while staying up late one night Christmas eve night, when I was a young child. This story captured my heart in a way no other story has. I hope those of you who have never read it before enjoy it as much as I have... as I re-read it with you all... emjoy
Rachael
-that saddest words in tong and pen are to wonder what could have been. Lucy M. Montgomery
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Linda and I love to read (and write as a hobby).

I am excited to be here. I love Charles Dickens: The Chistmas Carol. I remember reading it when I was younger, and looking forward to discussing it again with others.

Seasons Greetings!
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
New User
boogreenwood
0 Kudos

HI, My name is Suzanne and like many of you I began reading a Christmas Carol in high school and read it every year at the Christmas season. The story always reminds me that when I feel very "scroogish" about the holiday season, the endless trips to the mall, the overplayed muzak, that there is a much bigger picture. It reminds me to slow down and give thanks for the many blessings I have and not "Bah Humbug" the season.
Contributor
Books_Cats
0 Kudos

I've read it and love it. I don't read the story every year, but one of my few Christmas traditions is to watch the 1951 Alistair Sim version of the movie every year on Christmas Eve. I was also fortunate enough to see Charles Dickens great, great, great grandson (I may have one too many greats in there) do a one man production of A Christmas Carol several years ago. He played all the parts, and he was magnificent!!!

I think it's a timeless story told by a timeless writer.
Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

Hi

I would have read this book a really long time ago
But I have seen various versions of the movie over the years
After all this is one story you can't miss in a year!!!
Thinker
New User
craftywriter
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm Lynette from Wales. I love A Christmas Carol and coincidentally watched the musical version today [Scrooge starring Albert Finney]. I never tire of neither the book nor the film. I love the message of hope for us all inside it.

Dickens was a master story teller!

Lynette Rees
New User
dramamath
0 Kudos

My name is Kris and I look forward to December 1 each year, for I begin reading the story on that day each year.
New User
guavaman
0 Kudos

I have read A Christmas Carol countless times in many ways. Of course, I've read the novella itself many times. I've listened to Patrick's Stewarts reading several times (and was lucky enough to see him do it live.) I also have another book-on-tape version, by a famous actor whose name escapes me. I am trying to collect every film and tv version as well. Some time in the 80's, I decided that Dickens was perfect Christmas reading, so I read a Dickens novel (and a few non-fiction works) every year till I'd gotten through them all a few years ago. I'm looking forward to learning new things about one of my favorite works of fiction.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Kepikana! I hope you enjoy reading the original book!

~ConnieK

Kepikana wrote:
Hello.
My name is Kepikana and this will be my first online book club. I have never read the book, but have seen "A Christmas Carol" play many of times.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, maybemd! Don't you love Dickens's characters?

~ConnieK

maybemd wrote:
Hi All!

I enjoy writing short stories and believe one way to learn the craft is to study the masters. Read A Christmas Carol a couple years ago. Dickens was an excellent writer; his pacing, settings, plot and character development, and use of dialogue are all wonderful. He even manages to end on a cheery note, one that rings hope for all of us.

If I could learn to write like Dickens, I'd be quite happy.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Gypsy! Glad to have you with us!

~ConnieK

Gypsy wrote:
I first read "A Christmas Carol" in junior high school. I've reread it many times since, as well as seeing various versions on TV and in the movies. Even wrote a stage play of it for the amateur theater group I once belonged to. I love Dickens and have read most of his books. My favorite is "A Tale of Two Cities" but Christmas means Scrooge. I'll be reading it again this year.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Mark! I'm glad to see you give the online book clubs a try, and I hope you enjoy them as much as so many other readers do!

~ConnieK

DocEvans007 wrote:
Hello everyone.

My name is Mark and this is my first online book club. Im very excited. Ive read a Christmas Carol every year after Thanksgiving for the past 15 years and I find something new in it each time. I am really looking forward to our conversations.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, jtor! So glad to have you here!

~ConnieK

jtor wrote:
I'm a nice girl from NJ. For several years, my family has been reading A Christmas Carol out loud on Christmas Eve. I'm looking forward to gaining new perspectives from the group.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 451 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: