Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

The Goblins Who Stole a Sexton

[ Edited ]
Has anyone read this short story by Charles Dickens? It is, in some ways, very similar to A Christmas Carol. A grumpy sexton who hates Christmas (and, actually, just about everything, Christmas or not). He is kidnaped by a gang of goblins, who show him various Christmas scenes, much like the Ghosts to Scrooge, and, of course, in the end he has a change of character. It is very funny, too!

I have been reading through The Little Big Book of Christmas, that I got a couple of years ago when I took the Christmas Lit course at Barnes & Noble University, and just reread this story last night. It has stories, poems, carols, and recipes, and is just a great Christmas book - it fast became a favorite of mine, and I highly recommend it!

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 12-20-2007 02:07 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
johns
0 Kudos

Re: The Goblins Who Stole a Sexton

Yes, the Christmas Carol book I have has "The Christmas Tree", an excerpt from a Pickwick story, Christmas of course, which includes the goblin story.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: The Goblins Who Stole a Sexton

Thanks, dulcinea3. For those interested, here's the link to _The Little Big Book of Christmas_:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780688174149&itm=1

dulcinea3 wrote:
Has anyone read this short story by Charles Dickens? It is, in some ways, very similar to A Christmas Carol. A grumpy sexton who hates Christmas (and, actually, just about everything, Christmas or not). He is kidnaped by a gang of goblins, who show him various Christmas scenes, much like the Ghosts to Scrooge, and, of course, in the end he has a change of character. It is very funny, too!

I have been reading through The Little Big Book of Christmas, that I got a couple of years ago when I took the Christmas Lit course at Barnes & Noble University, and just reread this story last night. It has stories, poems, carols, and recipes, and is just a great Christmas book - it fast became a favorite of mine, and I highly recommend it!

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 12-20-2007 02:07 PM

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online:23 members 384 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: