Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Greetings From Your Moderator!

[ Edited ]
Hello, all!

I'm ConnieK, and I'll be the moderator for the CONNECTICUT YANKEE book club. I'm looking forward to discussing this novel with you beginning Monday, 10/29/07, and continuing until Samuel Clemens's birthday on November 30.

Twain would have been 172 this year. What would he have thought of our life and times? Like Hank Morgan, we get to time travel back through his time and back even further to the days of King Arthur. What will we find there? What will seeing this world through "The Boss's" eyes reveal to us? What can we learn about the 21st century, if anything, with all of this time-switching-around business?

Join me in a trip to "Camelot," and in a lively discussion of this novel throughout the month of November, won't you?

See you then!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-26-2007 03:01 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Greetings From Your Moderator!

Hi, Connie! It's good to be back in one of your groups -- I was in your Emily Dickinson group in BNU, but under a different name. What a change Twain will be from Emily!
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyman! Good to "see" you again! Those 2 are as different as night and day and yet I've actually always thought there are some interesting parallels between them.

Enjoy CY!

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:
Hi, Connie! It's good to be back in one of your groups -- I was in your Emily Dickinson group in BNU, but under a different name. What a change Twain will be from Emily!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Those 2 (Dickinson and Twain) are as different as night and day and yet I've actually always thought there are some interesting parallels between them.

May we count on you to develop those as the reading goes along? I don't think I'm the only person who will be fascinated to see what parallels you see between an almost compulsively reclusive female writer of tiny gemlike and densely packed poems and a robust, almost swashbuckling, extremely outgoing male writer of humor, travel, and adventure books some aimed at younger readers.
0 Kudos

My thinking on it is still developing, but I'll be glad to point out things in our discussion here that ring bells in the Amherst in my mind! :smileywink: btw: I hope you'll do the same!

For starters, there is the whole problem both Clemens and Dickinson had with organized religion....but let's not jump off the deep end on the first day!

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:

ConnieK wrote:
Those 2 (Dickinson and Twain) are as different as night and day and yet I've actually always thought there are some interesting parallels between them.

May we count on you to develop those as the reading goes along? I don't think I'm the only person who will be fascinated to see what parallels you see between an almost compulsively reclusive female writer of tiny gemlike and densely packed poems and a robust, almost swashbuckling, extremely outgoing male writer of humor, travel, and adventure books some aimed at younger readers.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Hello, all!

I'm ConnieK, and I'll be the moderator for the CONNECTICUT YANKEE book club. I'm looking forward to discussing this novel with you beginning Monday, 10/29/07, and continuing until Samuel Clemens's birthday on November 30.

Twain would have been 172 this year. What would he have thought of our life and times? Like Hank Morgan, we get to time travel back through his time and back even further to the days of King Arthur. What will we find there? What will seeing this world through "The Boss's" eyes reveal to us? What can we learn about the 21st century, if anything, with all of this time-switching-around business?

Join me in a trip to "Camelot," and in a lively discussion of this novel throughout the month of November, won't you?

See you then!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-26-2007 03:01 PM

Hello Connie,

Looking forward to joining this discussion. I go by Bentley here. Delighted to see this selection on the boards. I live in the NYC area.

All best,

Bentley
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Bentley! I'm glad to hear you enjoy this title. I look forward to hearing your impressions!

~ConnieK

bentley wrote:
Hello Connie,

Looking forward to joining this discussion. I go by Bentley here. Delighted to see this selection on the boards. I live in the NYC area.

All best,

Bentley

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online:18 members 313 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: