Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Hank Morgan

[ Edited ]
What traits does the protagonist, Yankee Hank Morgan, possess that make him particularly suited to the task of modernizing Arthurian Britain? What character flaws does he possess? Do you like Morgan? Dislike him?

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-27-2007 09:57 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
thinker
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎08-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Hank Morgan

Hank is a highly skilled quick thinking individual, at the beginning of the the story we see where Hank in discussion with Clarence immediately remembers the occurrance of the solar eclipse, i think it was in 528? even though this knowledge was not necessary at the time it does benefit him later on.
Though his varied skills assist him in recieving a certain level of respect in Camelot, and this respect could have been as a result of fear, I think in the process Hank forgot the time he was dealing with and even though he had taken certain persons in confidence to assist him, on most occasions he reacted too quickly with his inventions.

As for liking or disliking him, its a bit hard to decide, since his qualities can be viewed from both sides.


Thinker






ConnieK wrote:
What traits does the protagonist, Yankee Hank Morgan, possess that make him particularly suited to the task of modernizing Arthurian Britain? What character flaws does he possess? Do you like Morgan? Dislike him?

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-27-2007 09:57 AM


Thinker
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Hank Morgan

What's so clever of Twain is how he gets the reader to go along with this fantasy ride with him, you know? The eclipse is one example. How likely is it that Hank would remember a year of an eclipse so long ago, yet we buy right into it, or at least allow ourselves to accept it to stay with the story.

~ConnieK



thinker wrote:
Hank is a highly skilled quick thinking individual, at the beginning of the the story we see where Hank in discussion with Clarence immediately remembers the occurrance of the solar eclipse, i think it was in 528? even though this knowledge was not necessary at the time it does benefit him later on.
Though his varied skills assist him in recieving a certain level of respect in Camelot, and this respect could have been as a result of fear, I think in the process Hank forgot the time he was dealing with and even though he had taken certain persons in confidence to assist him, on most occasions he reacted too quickly with his inventions.

As for liking or disliking him, its a bit hard to decide, since his qualities can be viewed from both sides



~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
thinker
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎08-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Hank Morgan

Yes Twain is rather clever since based on one such rather simple incident he makes the reader develop a certain "respect" towards Mr. Morgan, and as a result further buoys up the readers interest in this character's adventures





ConnieK wrote:
What's so clever of Twain is how he gets the reader to go along with this fantasy ride with him, you know? The eclipse is one example. How likely is it that Hank would remember a year of an eclipse so long ago, yet we buy right into it, or at least allow ourselves to accept it to stay with the story.

~ConnieK

Thinker
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Hank Morgan



thinker wrote:
Hank is a highly skilled quick thinking individual, at the beginning of the the story we see where Hank in discussion with Clarence immediately remembers the occurrance of the solar eclipse, i think it was in 528? even though this knowledge was not necessary at the time it does benefit him later on.
Though his varied skills assist him in recieving a certain level of respect in Camelot, and this respect could have been as a result of fear, I think in the process Hank forgot the time he was dealing with and even though he had taken certain persons in confidence to assist him, on most occasions he reacted too quickly with his inventions.

As for liking or disliking him, its a bit hard to decide, since his qualities can be viewed from both sides.


Thinker






ConnieK wrote:
What traits does the protagonist, Yankee Hank Morgan, possess that make him particularly suited to the task of modernizing Arthurian Britain? What character flaws does he possess? Do you like Morgan? Dislike him?

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-27-2007 09:57 AM







Yes, I have gotten to that section already and wondered how anyone just remembered when the solar eclipse happened to occur in 528. Haven't gotten to the point where he uses such knowledge but given his clothes and his odd manners for that time period; I am sure it was fear that was registered by the folks at Camelot.

At the beginning, the young girl was fearful of him and not the others and he seem surprised by this.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Hank Morgan

What I am beginning to be struck with about our Hank Morgan is that he seems to want to dismantle the monarchy (or at least perish it from British soil); eliminate the aristocracy, exterminate organized religion because he says it turns humans into worms and finally (the ultimate goal) to establish an American style democracy or union in Arthurian Britain!

Let us make everyone live like we do; we must have the best ideas (lol).

He loves his power and the ability to be the smartest man in Arthurian Britain. What happened to Puss Flanigan in East Hartford. Out of sight, out of mind.

This is Twain at his most acerbic; some very strident and cutting views.
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 669 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: