Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and to share your first impressions of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
Contributor
lostinagoodbook
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Ohhh my first post, first B&N bookclub and for one of my favorite authors! Very cool.

Hi, I'm Crystal. Looking forward to what everyone is going to have to say. I think I've read this book 3 or 4 times since I first found it as a teenager. Of course, at that time it was just a "funny" book, and I wasn't particularly interested in thinking about the social issues addressed. I should probably read it again now with a different frame of mind.
Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

Great Book!!

A Mark Twain favourite!

Adventurous, deceptive, ingenuous, philosophical.
We get a taste of history with some added modern creativity.

Great!

Looking forward to the discussion!

Thinker
Thinker
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I'm Laurel, and I'll be reading Twain's delightful spoof while preparing to read Tennyson's Idylls of the King, another take on Mallory, with the Epics, Etc. board in December.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Reader 2
jastoy
0 Kudos

I have not read the book, BUT i have watched of course the Bing Crosby movie and several other releases down the road & of course how many TV shows work on this same theme/concept? I seem to remember the "Prime Directive" from Star Trek fame is built on the premise of changing time/events/cultures...?
Jo Ann
Live Simply,
Simply Live!
New User
Albert_C
0 Kudos

Hello All. My name is Albert. It has been a very long time since I have read a book for pleasure. I know sad, but true. But with changing of careers, going back to school, 2 kids and one due in November... there just hasn't been time! I can't think of a better writer to get started reading, thinking, having fun with than Twain.

Can't wait to discuss book with everyone.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome, lost! I look forward to hearing your comments on the book. Since you've reread it several times, I'm sure you'll have a lot to share--and welcome to the BN.com Book Clubs!

~ConnieK

lostinagoodbook wrote:
Ohhh my first post, first B&N bookclub and for one of my favorite authors! Very cool.

Hi, I'm Crystal. Looking forward to what everyone is going to have to say. I think I've read this book 3 or 4 times since I first found it as a teenager. Of course, at that time it was just a "funny" book, and I wasn't particularly interested in thinking about the social issues addressed. I should probably read it again now with a different frame of mind.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-26-2007 03:04 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, thinker--love your screen name! I hope you enjoy the discussion.

~ConnieK

thinker wrote:
Great Book!!

A Mark Twain favourite!

Adventurous, deceptive, ingenuous, philosophical.
We get a taste of history with some added modern creativity.

Great!

Looking forward to the discussion!

Thinker

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Laurel! A spoof indeed--glad to have you aboard amid all of your other book club participation!

~ConnieK

Laurel wrote:
I'm Laurel, and I'll be reading Twain's delightful spoof while preparing to read Tennyson's Idylls of the King, another take on Mallory, with the Epics, Etc. board in December.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, jastoy! We'll count on you to give us news of the various cinematic interpretations of the novel. It's not a long or bad read, either--give it a try!

~ConnieK

jastoy wrote:
I have not read the book, BUT i have watched of course the Bing Crosby movie and several other releases down the road & of course how many TV shows work on this same theme/concept? I seem to remember the "Prime Directive" from Star Trek fame is built on the premise of changing time/events/cultures...?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Albert! You've come to the right place. The book clubs help readers just like yourself get back hooked on books. I hope you'll post early and often!

~ConnieK

Albert_C wrote:
Hello All. My name is Albert. It has been a very long time since I have read a book for pleasure. I know sad, but true. But with changing of careers, going back to school, 2 kids and one due in November... there just hasn't been time! I can't think of a better writer to get started reading, thinking, having fun with than Twain.

Can't wait to discuss book with everyone.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Hi Connie! I was in your Emily Dickinson class several times and am glad to see you here as a moderator again. I've always wanted to read this book, so it's ordered, and I hope to join in soon.

Kristy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, KristyR! Glad to "see" you. As you know, this is not a class like the Dickinson venue was, but this book is great fun--I hope you enjoy it!

~ConnieK

KristyR wrote:
Hi Connie! I was in your Emily Dickinson class several times and am glad to see you here as a moderator again. I've always wanted to read this book, so it's ordered, and I hope to join in soon.

Kristy

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 742 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: