Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

General Chat Room

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: General Chat Room

What amazes me from previous posts is how involved we are with the role of women in the novel. Many of us are occupied with the burqa as a symbol of female oppression in Afghanistan.

I am fascinated by how user-friendly Hosseini made Afghanistan for me.

Before September 11, 2001, I thought of contemporary Afghanistan (if I thought of it all) as an exotic place somewhere over THERE. It was a blur of tribal warlords who fought each other for dominance; the Soviet occupation and the mujahedin slaughtering each other; and Taliban fanatics with their oppressive and extremist convictions.

After September 11, I realized that Afghanistan is no longer so far away after all. Also thrown into the country's brew of suffering is the added menace of Muslim jihadists led by charismatic fanatics like bin laden.

Mr Hosseini has introduced me to characters like Mariam and Laila who are caught up in the surrounding madness, but who nonetheless possess values, aspirations and emotions that I can relate to. He created people who are themselves moderate and enlightened.

That's how user-friendly the novel has made Afghanistan for me.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: General Chat Room: Movie rights sold

I just read that The Kite Runner will be released as a movie this fall.

And the movie rights have been bought for A Thousand Splendid Suns. That's exciting news. I wonder how they'll translate the story into the language of cinemas.
IBIS

Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

My immediate reaction to both of these books, especially Thousand Splendid Suns, being made into films is OHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!!

Unless they are done by a strong and/or independent filmmaker, it is going to be a huge disappointment.

So for now I am holding my breath. . . and choking.

Lizabeth
Frequent Contributor
Chaser
0 Kudos

I hope they don't mess them up! When I went to see "Memoirs of a Geisha," I was so disappointed at how they Americanized it. I felt it took the heart out of the story.

dianearbus wrote:
My immediate reaction to both of these books, especially Thousand Splendid Suns, being made into films is OHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!!

Unless they are done by a strong and/or independent filmmaker, it is going to be a huge disappointment.

So for now I am holding my breath. . . and choking.

Lizabeth

I agree, dianearbus.
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

I think sometimes they get it right. I loved the film Girl With a Pearl Earring and I saw it one day after I finished the book. Yes, they played with it a little but I think they captured the essence of the book.

I just did it in reverse which is so rare for me. I saw the film The Comfort of Strangers and then read the book by Cormac McCarthy. I have to think about it some more before I comment on which I liked better. The book was more frightening, but the acting in the movie was so darn good. . .
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I usually try to see the movie first, and then read the book.

In the movies, they obviously only deal with the visible, and its very difficult to capture the inner lives of characters. Cinematic language has it's own vocabulary, which is primarily visual (and with good music, auditory).

Because Mr Hosseini's writing so effectively made his characters breathe for me, I may find the movie version very disappointing.

But then, what do I know? Sometimes, I've been pleasantly surprised.

For example, I thought the latest Pride & Prejudice was wonderfully adapted. I don't think Jane Austen would have been disappointed.
IBIS

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

If I remember correctly, Mr. Hosseini was happy - so far - with the way the movie is being handled. He was asked about this during the Book Group Expo. Of course there is always the need to omit some scenes and expand others, in order to strengthen the visuals. I don't think Mr. Hosseini wrote the script but I hope he was consulted. Every director has his/her own idea about the material. And I'm sure the actors have some input into the emotional portrayal of the characters.
I wonder where they are shooting Kite Runner and how the landscape measures up to the descriptions in the book.

IBIS wrote:
I usually try to see the movie first, and then read the book.

In the movies, they obviously only deal with the visible, and its very difficult to capture the inner lives of characters. Cinematic language has it's own vocabulary, which is primarily visual (and with good music, auditory).

Because Mr Hosseini's writing so effectively made his characters breathe for me, I may find the movie version very disappointing.

But then, what do I know? Sometimes, I've been pleasantly surprised.

For example, I thought the latest Pride & Prejudice was wonderfully adapted. I don't think Jane Austen would have been disappointed.

Contributor
aireloom
0 Kudos

I hope they don't mess them up! When I went to see "Memoirs of a Geisha," I was so disappointed at how they Americanized it. I felt it took the heart out of the story

I totally agree concerning "Memoirs of a Geisha". The entire training of a geisha was so important in the book. The movie lacked any feelings.
aireloom
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

SunltCloud, thank your post. I hadn't come across Mr Hosseini's reaction to the adaptation of his book The Kite Runner.

I did read somewhere that they used actual kites made by the famous Kabul kite maker for the movie. I believe that kite maker (which was mentioned in the book) is still alive, rather elderly, and very busily making wonderful kites.

I also read somewhere that they were shooting some scenes in China(?????????)

I may have misread that tidbit.
IBIS

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: General Chat Room: online links to KITE RUNNER MOVIE

Sunltcloud wrote:
I just spent a couple of hours reading about Kite Runner the movie, and interviews with Khaled Hosseini, and details about Noor Agha the most famous kite maker in Kabul, who trained the two boys playing Amir and Hassan, and who made the kites for the set in China. Here are a few web sites if anybody is interested.

http://www.participate.net/thekiterunner

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=5877&atype=

http://www.kiterunner.org/

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/news/article/46405/film-could-help-afghan-kitemakers-fame-soar/

Thank you for these wonderful links.
IBIS

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: General Chat Room: online links to KITE RUNNER MOVIE

You are welcome, IBIS.

IBIS wrote:

Sunltcloud wrote:
I just spent a couple of hours reading about Kite Runner the movie, and interviews with Khaled Hosseini, and details about Noor Agha the most famous kite maker in Kabul, who trained the two boys playing Amir and Hassan, and who made the kites for the set in China. Here are a few web sites if anybody is interested.

http://www.participate.net/thekiterunner

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=5877&atype=

http://www.kiterunner.org/

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/news/article/46405/film-could-help-afghan-kitemakers-fame-soar/

Thank you for these wonderful links.

Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 374 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: