Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

So true - being drawn to the characters because of their flawed and damaged humanity. I think the hardest part of writing a novel is to develop the characters into living, breathing individuals who grow - either better or meaner or wiser etc - and find just the right amount of change. There can't be so much change that we, as readers, look at them as caricatures. And if they don't grow enough we get bored and close the book. I think Mr. Hosseini gives us just the right amount of background and progress.

IBIS wrote:
Viva2, thank you for your post.

Being a naturalized American citizen gives me the dual perspective, to compare and contrast, my birth country and my adopted one. I compare and contrast and give thanks daily to my blessings.

You are absolutely right: writers like Hosseini give us opportunities to compare our contemporary lives with those of the people he creates. All his characters -- major and minor, good-hearted and mean-spirited, male and female -- transcend their nationality and capture the joys and sorrows of our common humanity.

Nana and Marian, trapped inside the borders of a hostile and violent nation, are condemned to live with the cruelties of a misogynist culture. But its their flawed and damaged humanity that draws us to them.

Contributor
griffibn
0 Kudos

Hi,

Was lucky enough to attend a book signing event at Bass Hall in Ft. Worth, TX with the author--got 2 signed copies of A Thousand Splendid Suns and also signed copies of The Kite Runner. Both are excellent books and two of my favorites.

Bobbie
Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

I have not read the Kite Runner, much to the disappointment of a dear friend. I did read the Bookseller of Kabul. It was excellent. I will read this book for discussion here and with my local book club. I have participated in the B&N Book Club under British Classics and Literature by Women. I live outside Philadelphia, PA; enjoy the exchange of ideas; I am a tea fanatic and I consider myself an Anglophile. This is amusing to me as I work for a French man; my best friend is French; I have two other close friends who love all things French. It never hurts to have a little contrast in one's life. I look forward to discussing this book with all of you.
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

Since I started posting a few days ago, I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Lizabeth and I live in NYC. I am a passionate reader and enjoy online book clubs. I have been involved with several B&N book clubs and especially enjoy those with the author present.
Frequent Contributor
viva2
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
Viva2, thank you for your post.

Being a naturalized American citizen gives me the dual perspective, to compare and contrast, my birth country and my adopted one. I compare and contrast and give thanks daily to my blessings.

You are absolutely right: writers like Hosseini give us opportunities to compare our contemporary lives with those of the people he creates. All his characters -- major and minor, good-hearted and mean-spirited, male and female -- transcend their nationality and capture the joys and sorrows of our common humanity.

Nana and Marian, trapped inside the borders of a hostile and violent nation, are condemned to live with the cruelties of a misogynist culture. But its their flawed and damaged humanity that draws us to them.

Ibis, you make a very good point when you say that all the characters, good and bad alike, transcend nationality. It is so easy to demonize without thinking, whether it be an individual or a culture.

It would have been interesting to see more of the villain's background, but perhaps that will be for Hosseini's next book. This was the women's story and could have been weakened if we knew what led him to be who he was. A culture of mysogyny is horrible to contemplate.
New User
niraj83
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions for other books I might enjoy. recently, I have been a big fan of splendid suns, kite runner, as well as the namesake. no book since has really been able to match up. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

I know I'm coming in very late, but I just started reading this book and I hope people will stick around to discuss it some more!

I'm Sarah, and I live near Sacramento, CA. I have not read The Kite Runner, but I intend to. I started reading A Thousand Splendind Suns because it is the next book chosen for my book club.

I'm about halfway through and have found it a very moving story. It makes me so thankful to be an American and so mindful of the very small things we take for granted.
See what I'm reading now: Goodreads.com

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Frequent Contributor
lepking
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Please tell us a little about yourself. One question I'll start with -- is this your first time reading Khaled Hosseini's work, or did you read The Kite Runner?

I participated in the Cage of Stars book club and found it most enjoyable. I am Linda King and I live in Mesa, AZ. Loved A Thousand Splendid Suns and have passed it on to many friends. I am passionate about domestic violence and have a website www.fixthehurt.com. I am distressed by the abuse suffered by women throughout the world, but found this story especially compelling.
lepking
New User
englishculture
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm Karyn, and I'm a freelance travel writer (I write book reviews for Curled Up With a Good Book - http://www.curledup.com - too). I'm American, but I'm currently living in Germany.

Last year for our book club, we read _The Kite Runner_, and I was mesmerized. I've never read a book that gripped me so powerfully. I was left breathless and wanting more.

I just finished _A Thousand Splendid Suns_ this morning. And I'm left with the same reaction. I am stunned. And I still can't really put together a coherent thought on this book.

This was our book club selection for this month, and since I can't attend that meeting, I decided to pop in here.

Cheers!
New User
VoraciousReader
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Marna and I'm writing from the Central Valley of California. I've been away from B&N for awhile but have been craving the discussion of good books. I read The Kite Runner a year or so ago and had to recommend it to everyone I could. I immediately bought A Thousand Spendid Suns when it came out. What a great story, though I didn't find it quite as powerful as KR.
Contributor
VibRata60
0 Kudos

Hi I am Dean from Huntington Beach, CA. A friend lent me A Thousand Spendid Suns, with high praise. I loved it. Now I want to read Kite Runner.
Vibby
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

You will enjoy reading them both! I had a great time reading them. I can't wait to see the movie THE KITE RUNNER which is opening sometime this fall.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
rpen
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I had read and enjoyed the Kite Runner and shared it with my cousin and my friend who have both cried while reading this amazing novel. I just started reading A Thousand Splendid Suns and so far I can't have enough of it to the extent that I worry about finishing it quickly!
I haven't learned, I am learning
New User
hudsonsmom
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'M Cheryl....I am a 33 yr old Flight Attendant and mom to a 3 year old little boy. I just celebrated my 5th wedding anniversary. Sorry I'm starting a little late with this.

I have lots of extra time at work and I use it to devour books. I read The Kite Runner and loved it. I finally got my husband to read it and he loved it. I was patiently waiting for his next book.

I loved this book just as much but in many different ways....I'm sure we will get to that.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 645 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: