Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourselves!

Please tell us a little about yourself. One question I'll start with -- is this your first time reading Khaled Hosseini's work, or did you read The Kite Runner?
New User
pgamb504
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hi! I'm Patty. I'm a teacher in CT, and I spent part of my summer vacation reading both A Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner, and I loved them both!!!! Had to join this group to share my feelings....
New User
CaraZ
0 Kudos

I read The Kite Runner a little over a year ago and loved, loved, loved it. I couldn't wait to get my hands on A Thousand Splendid Suns. Looking forward to the discussion.
New User
Puffjelo
0 Kudos

Hi all...I'm Matt, I live in Ridgewood, NJ -- in the NYC area. I read The Kite Runner last year, and I really think it's the best book I've ever read; such an amazing narrative, and if I hadn't been told that it was a novel, I would have though it was a real first-hand account.

I also read and enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns, though I found this one emotionally exhausting. I look forward to discussing!

-Matt
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Donna and am from Western MA. I read "The Kite Runner" this summer, and immediately followed it with "A Thousand Splendid Suns." Two great books. I look forward to discussing the book with all of you.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm in Boston. I read The Kite Runner when it first came out, and was gripped by the characters' sense of "home" in the story. I'm a naturalized American citizen; this story made me intensely aware of my love for my adopted country.

When A Thousand Splendid Suns came out, I read it all in one sitting. I fell in love with both Miriam and Laila's stories... two women so intimately shaped and bound by Afghanistan's politics and culture. I compare their stories with those of contemporary American women.

I am excited to share everyone's thoughts about this amazing novel.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
karinq
0 Kudos

hi!
im karin, i'm from massachusetts. i read the kite runner and loved it. i am currently about half way through a thousand splendid suns and am really loving it. i'm up until 1am some nights reading it....i have two little ones, so i dont really get to read until 11 or 12mn. (that's after everyone gets to bed, and i have cleaned the house a bit!)
New User
babobin
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Barbara and I live in LA (lower Alabama). I read The Kite Runner last year and I'm in the middle of A Thousand Splendid Suns now but I expect to finish before Monday. I have found both books to be very interesting and am eager for some insight into how accurate they are as to the people and culture. See you on Monday.
New User
swally01
0 Kudos

I'm Susan from Northern New Jersey. I read Kite Runner more than a year ago and could not put it down. I was very excited when A Thousand Splendid Suns was released. I bought and read it within a few days. This is the first book discussion I have joined. I'm excited to be a part of it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

I've been reading Harry Potter so now I'm looking for something different and new. I haven't read either of Hosseini's book and just bought both of them and hope to start reading ATSS tonight. I know very little about this part of the world so I think these books will be a real learning experience for me as well as a good read. I am looking forward to some good discussions here.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Hello to everybody,

My name is Gisela and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I participated in the reading of the "Kite Runner" in 2005 when Book Clubs were still part of Barnes and Noble University.

In 2006 and 2007 San Jose hosted the fabulous event known by the name "book group expo" (www.bookgroupexpo.com) and both years Mr. Hosseini read from his books (Kite Runner in 2006, A Thousand Splendid Suns in 2007.) He also participated in interviews and in question and answer sessions. In 2006 he received a commendation from Mayor Ron Gonzales (delivered by City Council woman Nancy Pyle)and in 2007 he was featured at a separate Friday night event.

I read "Kite Runner" in August of 2005 and was immediately drawn to both, Amir and Hassan. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" came out on May 22, 2007 and I read it a few days later. Mariam and Laila are such strongly developed characters that they became real to me as I learned about their lives.

Traveling to foreign countries is the best way to overcome our prejudices, in my opinion. Reading about other cultures - fiction and nonfiction - is the next best thing. I love to do both and I highly recommend both.
New User
c_d_glass
0 Kudos

My name is Cassandra Glass and I am from Atlanta, GA. Like many I read the Kite Runner and fell in love with the novel. When I heard A Thousand Splendid Suns was coming out I immediately ran to Barnes and Noble to get it. I can't wait to discuss this book with everyone.
Cass/Glass
Frequent Contributor
GrammiT
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Susan & I live in Fairview Heights, IL., which is near St. Louis, MO.
I did not read The Kite Runner, but heard it was very good from my sister-in-law, so I picked up A Thousand Splendid Suns when I came across it at Barnes & Noble. Once I started reading it, I could not put in down. I am looking forward to joining in the discussion for this excellent book.
New User
sheri11615
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Please tell us a little about yourself. One question I'll start with -- is this your first time reading Khaled Hosseini's work, or did you read The Kite Runner?

rkubie wrote:

Hi, I'm Sheri from Raleigh, NC.. I read Kite Runner when it first came out and read Athousand Sacred Suns the day it came out!!! Loved them both!!Can't wait to discuss the books with y'all....
Sheri
New User
Vianca_H
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Hi my name is Vianca. I am from Temecula, CA and absolutely loved both books.
New User
ja_sam_nina
0 Kudos

I haven't read The Kite Runner yet, I first heard about it some two summers ago in Bosnia when my roommate was reading it, but I have been recently getting into Middle Eastern literature, with a particular interest in Afghani / Iranian authors, and my mother picked up 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' for me... absolutely incredible book, easily one of the best I've ever read.
New User
AnnaMarie
0 Kudos

Hello...read Kite Runner last summer (one of my top five), and was enlightened and delighted, and oh, so captivated. A Thousand Splendid Suns this summer (joins the fab five). I hope there will be another next summer to continue the tradition. Visited Mr. Hosseini's website and am further in awe of this amazing story teller.
New User
SueDG
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Susan and I'm a high school English teacher in Connecticut. I read KR when it was first published and recommended it for our world literature curriculum. Students love it and it generates great discussion. I am reading A Thousand Splendid Suns now, and so far I am impressed with Hoesseni's ability to create a strong female character in Mariam. I'm looking forward to sharing opinions with you.
New User
judarell
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Judy and I recently finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. I couldn't wait to read it and then I couldn't put it down! I have recommended it to everyone I know.
New User
Pakistani4life
0 Kudos

Hello. My name is Osman and I am from Maryland. I am originally from Pakistan and lived there for about 8 years. These two books are simply amazing. While reading them I could vividly imagine all the events that took place and all the surroundings because I am from that area and so it brought back some old memories. This is my first book discussion and I am very excited to discuss ATSS.
Users Online
Currently online:53 members 582 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: