Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

Schedule

I will apologize in advance if it is felt I am usurping anyone's authority, but we are in the second week and a reading outline has not been set-up that I can tell. So, I am suggesting the following and if anyone wants to weigh in, please do so. This should get the schedule issue behind us and get on with sharing our reading comments.
Thank you.

Part 1 - Chapters 1-15, August 6
Part 2 - Chapters 16-26, August 13
Part 3 - Chapters 27-37, August 20
- Chapters 38-47, August 27
Part 4 - Chapters 48-51, September 3
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION --SPOILER

I found these questions on the internet. Unfortunately they are not broken into chapter units and do contain a spoiler. I am printing it anyhow if it is helpful.

Caution! It is likely that the following reading guide will reveal, or at least allude to, key plot details. Therefore, if you haven’t yet read this book, but are planning on doing so, you may wish to proceed with caution to avoid spoiling your later enjoyment.

1. The phrase "a thousand splendid suns," from the poem by Saib-e-Tabrizi, is quoted twice in the novel – once as Laila's family prepares to leave Kabul, and again when she decides to return there from Pakistan. It is also echoed in one of the final lines: "Miriam is in Laila's own heart, where she shines with the bursting radiance of a thousand suns." Discuss the thematic significance of this phrase.

2.Mariam's mother tells her: "Women like us. We endure. It's all we have." Discuss how this sentiment informs Mariam's life and how it relates to the larger themes of the novel.

3.By the time Laila is rescued from the rubble of her home by Rasheed and Mariam, Mariam's marriage has become a miserable existence of neglect and abuse. Yet when she realizes that Rasheed intends to marry Laila, she reacts with outrage. Given that Laila's presence actually tempers Rasheed's abuse, why is Mariam so hostile toward her?

4.Laila's friendship with Mariam begins when she defends Mariam from a beating by Rasheed. Why does Laila take this action, despite the contempt Mariam has consistently shown her?

5.Growing up, Laila feels that her mother's love is reserved for her two brothers. "People," she decides, "shouldn't be allowed to have new children if they'd already given away all their love to their old ones." How does this sentiment inform Laila's reaction to becoming pregnant with Rasheed's child? What lessons from her childhood does Laila apply in raising her own children?

6.At several points in the story, Mariam and Laila pass themselves off as mother and daughter. What is the symbolic importance of this subterfuge? In what ways is Mariam's and Laila's relationship with each other informed by their relationships with their own mothers?

7.One of the Taliban judges at Mariam's trial tells her, "God has made us different, you women and us men. Our brains are different. You are not able to think like we can. Western doctors and their science have proven this." What is the irony in this statement? How is irony employed throughout the novel?

8.Laila's father tells her, "You're a very, very bright girl. Truly you are. You can be anything that you want." Discuss Laila's relationship with her father. What aspects of his character does she inherit? In what ways is she different?

9.Mariam refuses to see visitors while she is imprisoned, and she calls no witnesses at her trial. Why does she make these decisions?

10.The driver who takes Babi, Laila, and Tariq to the giant stone Buddhas above the Bamiyan Valley describes the crumbling fortress of Shahr-e-Zohak as "the story of our country, one invader after another… we're like those walls up there. Battered, and nothing pretty to look at, but still standing." Discuss the metaphorical import of this passage as it relates to Miriam and Laila. In what ways does their story reflect the larger story of Afghanistan's troubled history?

11.Among other things, the Taliban forbid "writing books, watching films, and painting pictures." Yet despite this edict, the film Titanic becomes a sensation on the black market. Why would people risk the Taliban's violent reprisals for a taste of popcorn entertainment? What do the Taliban's restrictions on such material say about the power of artistic expression and the threat it poses to repressive political regimes?

12.While the first three parts of the novel are written in the past tense, the final part is written in present tense. What do you think was the author's intent in making this shift? How does it change the effect of this final section?
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule

Jansten, thank you for these wonderful questions. They really give me food for thought. We should probably make a new thread for each question so that we can answer them in a coherent path.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION --SPOILER

Great ideas and set-up folks. Thanks for setting up the chapter discussion headings Jansten. Terrific discussion questions, dianearbus. Maybe the first person who comments on a question can set up a thread for that question.

Now we can get going with some decent discussions here!
Reader 2
IrisJoy
0 Kudos

What is a "spoiler?"
IrisJoy
Reader 2
IrisJoy
0 Kudos

Could you possible direct me to the website where you found these questions? As chairman of my local book club, I am always looking for sources of questions for our discussions. Thank you.
IrisJoy
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION

IrisJoy, look at
http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides3/thousand_splendid_suns1.asp

IrisJoy wrote:
Could you possible direct me to the website where you found these questions? As chairman of my local book club, I am always looking for sources of questions for our discussions. Thank you.

New User
raheal123
0 Kudos

The content within a set of spoiler tags may be displayed in several different ways. The current options available are "(default)", "link", "div", "span", "table", and "reveal". The "link" option replaces the section in question with links to reveal the particular section, or all spoilers that may be present. (The "link" option appears to be the current "(default)" option.) The "div" and "span" options wrap the section in div and span tags (respectively) of class "spoiler", which can be made to display as desired by editing the user's CSS. (The default CSS appears to be to set the foreground and background colors almeno in quelli visitati the same.) "table" places the content in a table, with the inner td tag also of class "spoiler". The "reveal" option actually wraps the section in div tags of class "spoiled".
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 331 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: