Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Student
0 Kudos

1960s American fiction

Hello,
I am a student at The London College of Communication in the UK and as part of a design course I am conducting a research study of the design of American literature between 1960 and 1969. I am collecting information about the works of fiction that were read by American audiences in the 1960s. I am contacting book clubs and discussion groups in the US who migt be able to help me with this research study.

I would like to ask for your help in gathering some information. I realize that this is a somewhat odd request but it would help me a great deal. If there is anyone who would like to discuss books from this period I would very much appreciate if you could take a few minutes to answer this questionnaire:

1. How old were you in 1960?

3. What music did you listen to?

4. Who/what were your influences?

5. What were you reading in the 1960s?

6. What was your favourite work of fiction of the 1960s?

7. What do you remember of the book?

8. Why did you choose to read it?

9. What did you think of it?

10. What do you feel about it now?

11. Do you recall what appeared on the book’s cover?

Thank you very much for taking the time to assist in this project. I hope to keep you posted with the progress of this assignment.

STUDENT
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: 1960s American fiction

You might get more responses to this if you included an email address where people could respond privately. Not everyone may want to answer all those quetions publicly.

Student wrote:
Hello,
I am a student at The London College of Communication in the UK and as part of a design course I am conducting a research study of the design of American literature between 1960 and 1969. I am collecting information about the works of fiction that were read by American audiences in the 1960s. I am contacting book clubs and discussion groups in the US who migt be able to help me with this research study.

I would like to ask for your help in gathering some information. I realize that this is a somewhat odd request but it would help me a great deal. If there is anyone who would like to discuss books from this period I would very much appreciate if you could take a few minutes to answer this questionnaire:

Thank you very much for taking the time to assist in this project. I hope to keep you posted with the progress of this assignment.

STUDENT

0 Kudos

I agree Everyman, or this student could email some of the American posters here through the B&N private email facility. He/She just has to click on the names which appear under 'Reply' to be taken to the email facility, if they have enabled it.

Everyman wrote:
You might get more responses to this if you included an email address where people could respond privately. Not everyone may want to answer all those quetions publicly.

Student wrote:
Hello,

STUDENT

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

In l960 I was l0 years old

The music I listened to was mostly Broadway show tunes. Carousel, My Fair Lady, Gypsy, etc.
And Judy Garland albums.
The Kennedy's were a big influence. I had photos of the family on my walls and followed all of their doings. They were very inspirational and we all felt they would change the world for the better, besides being glamourous.
In l960 (5th grade) I read Jane Eyre. It was one of my first adult books. I also got interested in psychology and one of the first books I bought was AA Brill's, Outline of Psychoanalysis. I was very into Freud.
Later I read Catcher in the Rye. I read it because everyone was. I loved it. It was written in the first person and I felt it voiced my feelings perfectly. Now I think of it as adolescent, although I barely remember it and haven't tried to read it again. I don't remember the cover, I picture it kind of gray with perhaps some green squiggles..
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 257 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: