Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: And don't forget John Steinbeck!!!

Yes, they did because of the particular geisha in the novel. I think that was why they were quick to say the geisha ranked as a higher position in society than a mistress or a prostitute. The focus was on beauty and how it was a part of her life, not on how it was her profession. We didn't even discuss much about how she didn't really have a choice of a different profession or of whether maybe deep down inside didn't want to be a geisha. In this novel, there was a point where the young girl decided she really, truly wanted to become a geisha. And her story actually isn't aesthetic because her choice is intertwined with the influence and passion she feels for another character she eventually falls in love with. So, the discussion of whether geishas in general lived aesthetic lives of beauty valued by men and women or were marketable commodities didn't develop independent of the novel's main character.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Denise, I'm sorry getting back to you so late about this. I'd like to have more of these off topic discussions, which leads me back to the need for a general discussion section and/or thread.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

No problem, Bob. This is just the type of discussion that would have been moved to a "Community Room". Especially since it no longer has anything to do with John Steinbeck!

Denise
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but how can there be an American Classics board without Steinbeck?

OK, Grapes of Wrath is not my favorite, but East of Eden is a masterpiece.
See what I'm reading now: Goodreads.com

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Frequent Contributor
sunny4328
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:
I'm looking for one more voice, pro or con, to weigh in on the Steinbeck question. So far, there is such ambivalence I'm a little reluctant to push a thread on people. Any Mice and Men lovers out there?

I can't say I love the book, simply because it's so sad, but I do think it's a great book and find it an interesting read.
~Kristy
McKinney, TX
Frequent Contributor
sunny4328
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:

donyskiw wrote:
I didn't know that but I bet it was funny. I just remember it being a very amusing book. Especially after reading The Pearl and then going on to read East of Eden. I got a free movie coupon for a rental from Blockbuster. I'll look to see if they have it. Sometimes they don't carry older films, especially if they haven't been converted to DVD. Then I have to borrow them from the library.

Denise

I never did see the movie, but I knew they were going to try to create more sparks between the two antagonists in the story if they ever made a movie out of it. Anyone watch Grapes of Wrath lately? Here's an author whose filmed novels starred both Henry Fonda and Debra Winger. When was the last time you saw them in the same sentence?

I taught Grapes of Wrath to sophomore gifted kids this year. For the most part, they liked the book. Some preferred the story, others the intercalary chapters, but overall they were really impressed with Steinbeck as a writer and agreed that he deserved the Pulitzer for the novel. We also watched the movie. Now, 16 year olds watching a movie from 1940 is rough. However, watching it with them, I have to admit that I didn't care much for it. They totally and completely changed the ending, which was such a huge part of the novel.
~Kristy
McKinney, TX
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Steinbeck isn't the author I would choose to read here, but if there's enough interest to make a vigorous discussion, I could be persuaded. :smileyhappy:

fanuzzir wrote:
I'm looking for one more voice, pro or con, to weigh in on the Steinbeck question. So far, there is such ambivalence I'm a little reluctant to push a thread on people. Any Mice and Men lovers out there?

0 Kudos

We have a lot of interest in Steinbeck, but I think the forums without moderators become shapeless. Any one interested? I'd love a guided reading of "East of Eden."
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

I see this conversation has been going on since November, but nothing has been decided. That's what I meant!:smileytongue: I'm a newbie here. Do we set up a poll as a new thread to start a new reading, or can only a moderator do that??

And, no, I can NOT moderate. Don't know enough about Steinbeck.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:
And, no, I can NOT moderate. Don't know enough about Steinbeck.

Actually, you could moderate perfectly well. All that's needed is enthusiasm, not knowledge.

Early on, there were a number of reader-moderated discussions. For some reason, they have largely disappeared, but it's easy enough to start one. Just go to the home page of the American Classics, click on New Message, enter a topic like "Discussion of Grapes of Wrath," and invite people to discuss the book with you. That's one of the things BNBC was designed to facilitate.

If there is interest, the discussion will take off. If not, well, you've done what you could. You don't need to be an expert to moderate; it's sufficient to point to a few on-line references (such as an on-line biography of the author), ask some interesting questions about the book (if you don't have any in mind, check out the Cliffs Notes or Spark Notes topics for essay questions or quiz questions) and encourage participation.

It just takes not waiting for somebody else to do it, but taking the initiative and doing it yourself!

P.S. Hope this doesn't sound too "preachy." But not everybody may have been here in the early weeks of the Book Clubs when the concept of reader-initiated discussions was discussed and encouraged by the powers that be. So a reprise of those days may be useful to newcomers.
0 Kudos

Maybe after I retire. I'm up to my ears.

Actually, you could moderate perfectly well.

Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

I would be interested in joining a discussion on Steinbeck, or someone mentioned in another thread, Fitzgerald's 'This Side of Paradise'.

When I think of Steinbeck I think of East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath. I know he wrote others. Grapes of Wrath appeals more because of the Great Depression, a time in American History I have peripheral knowledge of but never read about in Fiction.

Fitzgerald has appeal because of the beauty found in his use of language.

But, I think few check this forum anymore.:smileysad: I would jump in if it gets started.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Hey everyone, I have never read Steinbeck before and I'm wondering what Of Mice and Men is about? Would that be better to read first or The Grapes of Wrath? Wow! It's quite on this board lately! Wonder why?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

historybuff234 wrote:
Hey everyone, I have never read Steinbeck before and I'm wondering what Of Mice and Men is about? Would that be better to read first or The Grapes of Wrath? Wow! It's quite on this board lately! Wonder why?

Just a suggestion: Of Mice and Men first, then The Grapes of Wrath.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

historybuff234 wrote:

Just a suggestion: Of Mice and Men first, then The Grapes of Wrath.

Thanks, what is Of Mice and Men about?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

I watched Of Mice and Men...quite good, but very tragic!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

platinumpink wrote:
I watched Of Mice and Men...quite good, but very tragic!

I have the book but havent seen the film. Guess I should try it. I havent read the book either. Alot of people liked it.
New User
steven88
0 Kudos

of mice and men is a good story in my opinion because its major theme is the american dream which is increasingly difficult to attain in modern times because of increased competition from other people trying to reach the "Top."
Contributor
misskenton
0 Kudos

Ok If you've have watched the movie bu thaven't read the book thats a complete shame, no offense or anything but I read the book in like an hour! Its short and you can't get those kinda of lengthy descriptions given by Steinbeck in the movie!!!
Don't condemn me; remember that sometimes I too can reach the bursting point.
~Anne Frank
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

A nice article from the Washington Post on Steinbeck. (May require free registration.)
Please welcome our newest community members: