Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Book needed for January

As many of you already know, I'm not a regular Reader-Mod, although I have been leading discussions since August. I have no plans to do a book in January. If anyone wants to lead a discussion of a favorite American classic, feel free to do so. Please post the schedule in advance so others have time to get the book, and send a note to Jessica for her announcements.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Book needed for January

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin is a book that's been kicking around in my consciousness for a number of years, but that I've never gotten around to reading. I've seen it recommended by a variety of authors, but haven't bitten. Perhaps it's time? Does anybody else have any interest in reading this book? It's not lengthy -- 160 pages or so in most editions.

How can you not like an author who writes about himself:

Hereby, too, I shall indulge the inclination so natural in old men, to be talking of themselves and their own past actions; and I shall indulge it without being tiresome to others, who, through respect to age, might conceive themselves obliged to give me a hearing, since this may be read or not as any one pleases. And, lastly (I may as well confess it, since my denial of it will be believed by nobody), perhaps I shall a good deal gratify my own vanity. Indeed, I scarce ever heard or saw the introductory words,"Without vanity I may say," &c., but some vain thing immediately followed. Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves; but I give it fair quarter wherever I meet with it, being persuaded that it is often productive of good to the possessor, and to others that are within his sphere of action; and therefore, in many cases, it would not be altogether absurd if a man were to thank God for his vanity among the other comforts of life.

If you want to sample the book before deciding whether you want to read it all, here's one source:
http://tinyurl.com/2q5ceq
0 Kudos

No takers. Would you like to try something more user-friendly?

Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

Toni Morrison? Or are we restricted to dead writers?
~ Happiness is a good book, a sleeping cat, and a glass of wine. ~
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

You're not restricted to dead writers. Certainly Morrison, a Pulitzer Prize winner and one of the best worldwide! Which book? Are you proposing to be the moderator? I would hate to see this board die. And I don't think anyone would object if you don't begin on Jan 1. We don't have the restrictions that regular Reader-Mods have, just so long as you don't use naughty words.:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

I've had a hankering for Sula lately.

I certainly cannot be moderator, tho. I can't get here nearly consistently enough, nor keep up.
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

I've read "Beloved" and "Song of Solomon." I knew I was in the presence of greatness, but I can't say I understood them fully. Maybe someone will take you up on it.

Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

I've read Invisible Man, All the King's Men, Catcher in the Rye, Slaughterhouse-Five, etc.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

platinumpink wrote:
I've read Invisible Man, All the King's Men, Catcher in the Rye, Slaughterhouse-Five, etc.

Someone is stArting a book club?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

AJ -- I nominated Sula on the Women Authors board -- because of your interest here. If you still want to read it and Melissa includes it on the list from which we select four, do join the voting! Watch for her announcement on Friday.

AJ981979 wrote:

I certainly cannot be moderator, tho. I can't get here nearly consistently enough, nor keep up.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

Thanks Pepper! I hadn't even thought of doing it there. Going to vote now!

Peppermill wrote:
AJ -- I nominated Sula on the Women Authors board -- because of your interest here. If you still want to read it and Melissa includes it on the list from which we select four, do join the voting! Watch for her announcement on Friday.

AJ981979 wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

I've read the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin twice and highly recommend it. I just quoted it to someone today. I think it should be required reading in all the schools. Enjoy!
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 437 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: