Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Catcher in the Rye or Moby Dick?

Believe it or not, these two novels have alot alike: they are both loved by some of our most frequent contributors to the American classics book club. Let's take a straw poll and figure out which one you want to read together.
Contributor
woodhouse
0 Kudos

Re: Catcher in the Rye or Moby Dick?

I vote for Moby Dick
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

woodhouse wrote:
I vote for Moby Dick

I second that vote.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Catcher in the Rye. I'm not up for Ahab and his Whale.

fanuzzir wrote:
Believe it or not, these two novels have alot alike: they are both loved by some of our most frequent contributors to the American classics book club. Let's take a straw poll and figure out which one you want to read together.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

I'll have to put my vote in for Catcher in the Rye
-----------Willowy----------
Contributor
LitWit20
0 Kudos

I find myself partial to Catcher in the Rye
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

I hope you choose Catcher in the Rye. It's one of the books I've been meaning to read for a long time and one my yound son has already asked if I've read. Got to keep up with the kids!
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Moby Dick.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Definitely Catcher in the Rye
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Catcher in the Rye
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Catcher in the Rye!

The people have spoken! For the second time this week! Can lovers of Moby Dick wait until the Catcher in the Rye has run its course? I promise I won't forget; I just can't read all these books at once. Especially Moby Dick. So I'm hoping that I'll get some good first posts to one of the most defining novels of the 20th century
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: Catcher in the Rye!

I can wait. I agree with you. I can't read all of these books at the same time either! I've got to get started on House of the Seven Gables!

Denise
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:
The people have spoken! For the second time this week! Can lovers of Moby Dick wait until the Catcher in the Rye has run its course? I promise I won't forget; I just can't read all these books at once. Especially Moby Dick. So I'm hoping that I'll get some good first posts to one of the most defining novels of the 20th century

Good plan! What, you can't swallow a whale in one bite?
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
woodhouse
0 Kudos

Many of the other discussions seem to be organized by early chapters, middle, and end chapters. This seems to allow people the ability to discuss up to the point that they’ve read. I think it works well. Do you think it would be a good way to tackle Catcher in the Rye?
New User
Kael124
0 Kudos

I read Cather in the Rye In Junior High like a thousand years ago, and just recently read it again. It was so enjoyable I vote to read it a third time...
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

First few chapters of Catcher in the Rye

woodhouse wrote:
Many of the other discussions seem to be organized by early chapters, middle, and end chapters. This seems to allow people the ability to discuss up to the point that they’ve read. I think it works well. Do you think it would be a good way to tackle Catcher in the Rye?

That's a very sensible idea--let's start a discussion thread that contains our first impressions and reactions. If I'm a little late in getting my own 2 cents in its because I'm busy over in the House of the Seven Gables, also a brand new novel for me. (That's a plug, by the way)
Contributor
akaknicker
0 Kudos

Free moby!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

akaknicker wrote:
Free moby!

I think he did a very good job of that himself!
New User
xx-dc
0 Kudos

Catcher in the Rye is on my list of Books Best Appreciated Before Reaching Twenty, along with The Brothers Karamazov, the novels of Hermann Hesse and Thomas Wolfe, and many others. These books speak strongly to the narcissism of youth, and offer grand philosophical truths in the form of pizza slices--large, hot, rich and dripping, and irresistible to the teenager, but heavy on the stomach of the adult.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Hey, I still like pizza. See my other posts about pizza in the, ummm, I forgot which discussion we were talking about pizza.

Denise
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 265 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: