Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Edgar Allan Poe

I am reading The Essential Tales and Poes of Edgar Allan Poe right now and I would like to know what poem and tale you like best. I enjoy for the poems The Raven, The Bells, Eldorado, The Lake To, and some others that I forgot what they are called. For the tales I am not far into them yet(I am just begining on MS. in a Bottle) I like Metzengerstein, Bon-Bon and there most probably others that I have not read yet.

You are only limited by the boundries of you imagination and the laws in your area- Red Green
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks for the invitation. I'm very partial to "Ligiea," and "William Wilson." You will not find a more chilling scenario than that latter one.
Bob
Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe

Hello! I am new to the group and just stumbled on this post about my favorite author. My all-time favorite story of his has to be "Tell-Tale Heart" because it is probably the best look into a demented mind I have come across. Poe was a fantastic writer and to me, "Tell-Tale" proves it!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

2 alf

[ Edited ]

alfprof212 wrote:
Hello! I am new to the group and just stumbled on this post about my favorite author. My all-time favorite story of his has to be "Tell-Tale Heart" because it is probably the best look into a demented mind I have come across. Poe was a fantastic writer and to me, "Tell-Tale" proves it!

Hi you saucy guts-griping pigeon egg!

I just couldn't help it but I promise to behave after the 24 hours is out!

greetings
from wayward weather-bitten lout
aka ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 02-19-200708:22 PM

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: 2 alf

ziki wrote:
I promise to behave...

I suppose there's a first time for everything. [bg]
0 Kudos

ah ziki, even on new territory (for me), you have bested me...
how will I ever get your goat, you infectious dizzy-eyed miscreant?

alf :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: 2 not every but this man

[ Edited ]

ziki wrote:
I promise to behave...

Everyman wrote:
I suppose there's a first time for everything. [bg]

hahaha...well, one can always hope. LOL

I keep my guns loaded. What a very unfemale thing to say! Blame it on Hemingway and the ill breading gang of shooting goats.
How now my sweet creature of bombast. What would I do without you?

Now we've done away with the egocentric Whitman what bone do we dig out instead? I should visit the weird house of Hawtorne after all...

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 02-21-200709:23 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

2 alf (this is secret)

[ Edited ]
I thought I step over the line and venture into the new world of red indians, black slaves, shooting hemingways and all other mangled knotty-patted fustilarians and stirr the pot of honey a little bit.

ziki
(pssst, I think if the heading looks like this we get multitude of hits)

Message Edited by ziki on 02-21-200709:11 PM

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

alfprof212 wrote:
ah ziki, even on new territory (for me), you have bested me...
how will I ever get your goat, you infectious dizzy-eyed miscreant?

alf :smileyhappy:

I can't stop laughing. You are like two old gunslingers. Or comedians. You'll have to hint at some history now and then.
Bob
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: 2 aReF

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote: You are like two old gunslingers. Or comedians. You'll have to hint at some history now and then.
Bob

niiiiaaaa, I don't know! history is a pretty murky affair in this case.

alf, did you see? Some vain pottle-deep bum-bailey wants to know what we are about? Shall I tell him? After all he is a moderator rat, I think he belongs to the Court gang.

OK, Aref, dear bully *)
we care about you trully
yours was a good guess
after all,
so I say one word to you
and after that,
no more.

Bard.

notes:
*bully= good fellow

zee you

Message Edited by ziki on 02-22-200710:36 PM

Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

Re: 2 aReF

Ah, ziki, my craven elf-skinned bugbear, we are found out! They are onto us! We have broken the boundaries of this our war zone and may now have to tell the authorities (aka: moderating miscreants) what our revels entail. I leave it to your good judgment...

alf, the unmuzzled weather-bitten strumpet
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: 2 alF

My loggerheaded horn-beast, never fear,
the savior is always near.
Look hither and thither,
there's so much dither
O take the sense,
such apparitions will soon wither.
Be it so.

Find some moonshine, I bring the flowers
you'll soon master Poe's black powers.
Through the forest have I gone,
but darklings found I none.

Thus the magic of the fairies
is never lost on rank bum-bailies.
Crank up your dreaming heart,
like an arrow now I dart.
All beasts that meet me
run away for fear.
O cross! O hell!
The end of dream is near.

zee [exit
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Re: to Ziki

[ Edited ]
Zikki, I do not understand the way you talk sometimes, except for that poem. I feel like Dr. Watson trying to figure out Holmes methods. As like Holmes I can deduce that it is pirate talk because of your pirate icon thing, and I can just figure that out. I can decypher the code though, like many great codes and cyphers from history they can be broken. Either I will figure it out or you will tell me. If I can figure out the slang that some of my friends use I can figure this out. I can also tell that you enjoy tales about the sea. I have not read many things like that but I have read some. I enjoyed it- Larwence of Arabia

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 02-25-200701:40 AM

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 02-25-200701:40 AM

-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

to the detective (off topic Poe)

[ Edited ]

historybuff234 wrote:
Zikki, I do not understand the way you talk sometimes, except for that poem. I feel like Dr. Watson trying to figure out Holmes methods. As like Holmes I can deduce that it is pirate talk because of your pirate icon thing, and I can just figure that out. I can decypher the code though, like many great codes and cyphers from history they can be broken. Either I will figure it out or you will tell me. If I can figure out the slang that some of my friends use I can figure this out. I can also tell that you enjoy tales about the sea. I have not read many things like that but I have read some. I enjoyed it- Larwence of Arabia

Dear Dr. Watson,
do we have a case?

I'm thinking like this: isn't it so that each time we read a book we need to figure out what it tells us and try to grasp not only the obvious message of the plot but also the personal meanings we can assign to it, connections to historical personalities and historical moments etc. And not only that: there seems to be another level where very different books start relating to each other, too. This is exactly why I like this B&N place where we all can talk like that.

Let's get back to our immediate task.

For a sleuth, dear Watson, the greatest risk is to attempt to make connections where there are none. Let me therefore give you some clues:

The recent posts here under "Poe" are actually off topic and it's just a little game. It's difficult to be serious all the time but let's agree, Poe should be Poe. It's fair.

My icon came during our recent reading of Moby Dick, a great book judged both by volume and content.

So back to what I said at the beginning: BN can offer different books to read at the same moment. On first sight, dear Bard, they have nothing in common but that is the crux, they do!

I won't say more because I do not want to steal from you the pleasure of figuring it all out on your own. Thus I include you into the puzzle here. Now I put my pipe into my pocket and walk into the fog to be found out.

What say you? What read you right now?

ziki

PS

Some years ago there was a great book on Code, did you read it? I didn't but I heard it was good. Maybe it was this one?
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780385495325&itm=23
PSS
If you get tired of thinking tell me and I give you the whole backstory NP. :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 02-25-200708:44 AM

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Re: to the detective (off topic Poe)

What am I reading right now, I am reading Sherlock Holmes, The Prince, Frankenstien, The Count of Monte Cristo, Edgar Allan Poe, and War of the Worlds. Sometimes I ask my self why am I reading this many books? I am reading books that the average 7th grader would not be reading or even heard of, and I like to read books like that, but I think that I should maybe not read so many at the same time. I have not read any books about codes. But I have watched some things on the History Channnel about codes.

You could just tell me about the way you talk, I can't figure it out. I could probably figure out on my own after a while though.
I didn't have much time to figure it out yesterday becasue, I watched The Birdge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia on TV both very good movies. Have you ever seen them? After that I shoveled out the driveway in good old Minnesota, it really snowed yesterday. So just tell me about the way you talk.

You are only limited by the boundries of your imagination and the laws in you area- Red Green
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Zikki wrote: Dear Dr. Watson,do we have a case?I'm thinking like this: isn't it so that each time we read a book we need to figure out what it tells us and try to grasp not only the obvious message of the plot but also the personal meanings we can assign to it, connections to historical personalities and historical moments etc. And not only that: there seems to be another level where very different books start relating to each other, too. This is exactly why I like this B&N place where we all can talk like that. I agree, I like to talk about books that I have and have not read with people who also have and have not read the books like me. When I discovered the B&N Book Clubs I was quite excited.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
HB, I moved the message in here
ziki
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=AmericanClassics&message.id=1626

Message Edited by ziki on 03-03-200706:12 PM

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Let's all try to remember to say, "Meet me in the community forum/room," or equivalent, when the conversation goes more than two posts off topic. Thanks for the heads up Ziki.
Bob

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 03-03-200709:46 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

three posts off topic

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote:
Let's all try to remember to say, "Meet me in the community forum/room," or equivalent, when the conversation goes more than two posts off topic. Thanks for the heads up Ziki.
Bob

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 03-03-200709:46 PM

I think three would be a better number. We know from Moby Dick it is a magic number and it allows for a complete short exchange; better rhythm and no longer than others can tolerate, too. But no big matter. (I guess you can also move posts around).

ziki
who I started this avalanche. :smileywink:
It is like that, you ski and trust all is fine, the wham and you die in it.

Message Edited by ziki on 03-06-200708:46 AM

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Topical Poe

Does anyone want to take me up on my standing invitation to read "Ligeia"? There are also his message in a seafaring stories, like "Ms in a Bottle." Might be a nice contrast to Moby Dick.
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 195 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: