Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe



fanuzzir wrote:
Does anyone want to take me up on my standing invitation to read "Ligeia"? There are also his message in a seafaring stories, like "Ms in a Bottle." Might be a nice contrast to Moby Dick.


I read Ligeia when it was suggested , I think, in the short story thread. I liked it, and would definitely be interested in reading more Poe.
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
Posts: 1,014
Registered: ‎10-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe

Thanks Kristy! Do you have any favorites? The Black Cat still is a fascinating story, especialy for what it says about Poe's idea's of marriage.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe



fanuzzir wrote:
Thanks Kristy! Do you have any favorites? The Black Cat still is a fascinating story, especialy for what it says about Poe's idea's of marriage.


I read Poe in high school, ~15 years ago now, and loved everything I read. I bought a complete works book basically to remind myself how much I enjoyed his stories and have read bits and pieces since then, always intending to read it all at some point in time. When I was reading the Dupin stories, my 10 year old son saw my book and started telling his sisters about the Raven poem he had heard in class. So we looked it up. It was great to see him so excited. Not only could he tell his sisters a spooky tale, but he could read something "grown up". He was so proud of himself!

I haven't read The Black Cat yet, that will be next. I must admit, finding out Poe's ideas about marriage is a definite draw. I can't help wondering if they will be fairly normal or very warped!
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
Posts: 1,014
Registered: ‎10-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe

From the evidence of his stories, he should have ever come close to a woman or to marriage. Living as a husband is a horrible stunt that make you scared for anyone around him. And yet like many bad husbands, he's full of self-knowledge and perhaps self-hate, if you judge the bizarre experiment of "William Wilson," another of my favorites.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe



fanuzzir wrote:
Thanks Kristy! Do you have any favorites? The Black Cat still is a fascinating story, especialy for what it says about Poe's idea's of marriage.


I read The Black Cat. It was disturbing to say the least. What amazes me about Poe is how self-aware his characters are - at least the ones in the stories I've read so far. He delves into their thinking and reasoning so minutely, and they're just so messed up. You have to wonder how he comes up with this stuff, and how much of it has actually flitted through his own brain! He's one of those people I like reading about, but would be afraid to meet in real life! He should definitely never have been married!
Contributor
Pumpernickel
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎04-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe

Oh, I absolutely LOVE "The Tell-tale Heart"!!! (0__0)

I often use this short story to teach my students how to 'read between the lines' , paying attention to the repetitive elements in the story -- such as the narrator addressesing the reader, his addressing the reader in order to boast about his abilities, the numerous references to sound, etc. -- which we underline using a code of colors. It's a very interesting activity that students usually enjoy.
Contributor
swimmer53094
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎01-28-2007
0 Kudos

Interesting Poe Fact

Poe lived in Philadelphia from 1838-1844 and in the basement of the house is a chimney almost identical to the one he describes in "The Black Cat." I saw it and it is really creepy.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Interesting Poe Fact



swimmer53094 wrote:
Poe lived in Philadelphia from 1838-1844 and in the basement of the house is a chimney almost identical to the one he describes in "The Black Cat." I saw it and it is really creepy.


I didn't realize you could go visit his house, how creepy! I wonder how many things in that house and the surrounding area inspired him.
New User
Hollisterite666
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe

[ Edited ]
Hi! i'm new to to the group and could'nt help responding to your invite. My fav for the poems is the Raven, and my fav story is the tell-tale heart and the fall of the house of Usher.

Message Edited by Hollisterite666 on 04-16-200711:28 PM

Message Edited by Hollisterite666 on 04-16-200711:28 PM

New User
cjack16
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe

To me Poe's best work was the "Black Cat". The descriptive writing skills shown throughout the story are amazing.
Frequent Contributor
pmcoulter
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Interesting Poe Fact

You can also visit the Poe house in Baltimore.
Frequent Contributor
pmcoulter
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe

I had the opportunity to teach Poe a couple of years ago to 10th graders in an alternative school. I had not really liked Poe when I had to read him in high school and college, but when I had to teach him I was stunned by the richness of his description and his mastery of the language.

Relative to someone's comment on marriage and wives, Poe dearly loved his little cousin-wife.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe



pmcoulter wrote:
I had the opportunity to teach Poe a couple of years ago to 10th graders in an alternative school. I had not really liked Poe when I had to read him in high school and college, but when I had to teach him I was stunned by the richness of his description and his mastery of the language.

Relative to someone's comment on marriage and wives, Poe dearly loved his little cousin-wife.


He married his cousin? We were joking that he should never marry because of the end of his wife in The Black Cat, come to think of it, his second wife didn't stand much of a chance in Ligeia either!
Frequent Contributor
pmcoulter
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe



KristyR wrote:


pmcoulter wrote:
I had the opportunity to teach Poe a couple of years ago to 10th graders in an alternative school. I had not really liked Poe when I had to read him in high school and college, but when I had to teach him I was stunned by the richness of his description and his mastery of the language.

Relative to someone's comment on marriage and wives, Poe dearly loved his little cousin-wife.


He married his cousin? We were joking that he should never marry because of the end of his wife in The Black Cat, come to think of it, his second wife didn't stand much of a chance in Ligeia either!




Yes. Not the best site, but for a jumping off point, cf: http://www.poemuseum.org/poes_life/index.html
New User
hikergirl
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe

I have really enjoyed both "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "Fall of the House of Usher."
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe

Thanks for the link pmcoulter!
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe



hikergirl wrote:
I have really enjoyed both "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "Fall of the House of Usher."




I remember The tellTale Heart from years ago reading it in high school. Oh! wow! that beating heart in the floor! oh! it is still spooky as I think upon it.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Topical Poe



pmcoulter wrote:


KristyR wrote:


pmcoulter wrote:
I had the opportunity to teach Poe a couple of years ago to 10th graders in an alternative school. I had not really liked Poe when I had to read him in high school and college, but when I had to teach him I was stunned by the richness of his description and his mastery of the language.

Relative to someone's comment on marriage and wives, Poe dearly loved his little cousin-wife.


He married his cousin? We were joking that he should never marry because of the end of his wife in The Black Cat, come to think of it, his second wife didn't stand much of a chance in Ligeia either!




Yes. Not the best site, but for a jumping off point, cf: http://www.poemuseum.org/poes_life/index.html


Hey! You helped me get a question right on the Friday quiz in the Community Room! The question asked which American poet married his young cousin, had a drinking problem, etc. This was the first quiz out of 4 that I actually knew an answer, thanks!
New User
catwoman
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe

Hi All,

I'm really excited to find this group. I think my favorite Edgar Allen Poe story is "The Cask of Amontillado." I teach it in my Intro to Lit. course at a two-year college in PA. Everytime I read the story, I find something new. The students love the story, and many choose it as the basis for their long analysis paper. The best paper I received was from a student who argued that Montressor was a psychopath. She researched abnormal psychology books and found many traits in Montressor that pointed to this type of mental illness.

Dawn
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Edgar Allan Poe



catwoman wrote:
Hi All,

I'm really excited to find this group. I think my favorite Edgar Allen Poe story is "The Cask of Amontillado." I teach it in my Intro to Lit. course at a two-year college in PA. Everytime I read the story, I find something new. The students love the story, and many choose it as the basis for their long analysis paper. The best paper I received was from a student who argued that Montressor was a psychopath. She researched abnormal psychology books and found many traits in Montressor that pointed to this type of mental illness.

Dawn


Hi Dawn, welcome! I think I read the Cask of Amontillado a long time ago, but I don't remember it. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to my Poe list!
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 601 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: