Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

Future Schedule?

Is there a schedule on this board for any future discussion we'll be having? It looks like there is only one active thread on here for Great Gatsby. Is there a list or any thoughts on what future discussions will be?
-----------Willowy----------
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Future Schedule?

Willowy: All of the threads are together. You can go down and read them all. We are on Chapter 4,5,6 but Foxycat put threads up for chapters l,2,3 also. You can answer someone else's thoughts or just put a comment on any thread you choose.
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Willowy: All of the threads are together. You can go down and read them all. We are on Chapter 4,5,6 but Foxycat put threads up for chapters l,2,3 also. You can answer someone else's thoughts or just put a comment on any thread you choose.

No, I mean a schedule as in what books you will be discussing next or down the line. I know there used to be one here, but there doesn't seem to be an updated one. The boards without a moderator seem to have went a bit dormant.
-----------Willowy----------
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

willowy wrote:

kiakar wrote:

No, I mean a schedule as in what books you will be discussing next or down the line. I know there used to be one here, but there doesn't seem to be an updated one. The boards without a moderator seem to have went a bit dormant.

I'd be interested to know too!
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

There is no longer a moderator, and therefore there is no schedule. Some of us have been very successful at running our own discussions, others less so. If you would like to join us, hop in, or start a thread for a book you love. I'm going to try to get another group for Fitzgerald going after "Gatsby."
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

There is no longer a moderator, and therefore there is no schedule. Some of us have been very successful at running our own discussions, others less so. If you would like to join us, hop in, or start a thread for a book you love. I'm going to try to get another group for Fitzgerald going after "Gatsby," which ends on or about Sept 7.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:
There is no longer a moderator, and therefore there is no schedule. Some of us have been very successful at running our own discussions, others less so. If you would like to join us, hop in, or start a thread for a book you love. I'm going to try to get another group for Fitzgerald going after "Gatsby," which ends on or about Sept 7.

Yes, Foxycat, I would love to read another novel by Fitzgerald. Delving into Gatsby has spoken to me in volumnes of how interesting I am in him as a person and a author. Does his other writings have alot of him in them.? And the writings are so realistic. I think I am on to something with Fitzgerald.
Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

foxycat wrote:

Yes, Foxycat, I would love to read another novel by Fitzgerald. Delving into Gatsby has spoken to me in volumnes of how interesting I am in him as a person and a author. Does his other writings have alot of him in them.? And the writings are so realistic. I think I am on to something with Fitzgerald.

I would join in.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

CallMeLeo wrote:

kiakar wrote:

foxycat wrote:

I would join in.

Ok! Foxycat; we are waiting for your ok. And we do need to pick a book. I hope your answer is yes.
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: Future Schedule? Choose the next Fitzgerald book

See new thread on American classics board!

Reader
sderekh
0 Kudos

Hi Foxy,

Any idea what you will be reading after Gatsby?

Derek
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

We did "This Side of Paradise," some Fitzgerald short stories, then "O Pioneers!" but you're late. We began on Dec. 1, and we're just about done. You have to check for new threads on the main American Classics page. If you still want to read the book, you can comment on any one of the 5 threads.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=AmericanClassics

sderekh wrote:
Hi Foxy,

Any idea what you will be reading after Gatsby?

Derek

Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

Anyone feeling some Hemingway these days?
~ Happiness is a good book, a sleeping cat, and a glass of wine. ~
Frequent Contributor
Lathan
0 Kudos

An inspired choice. What did you have in mind? A Moveable Feast? The Sun Also Rises?

AJ981979 wrote:

Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

For some reason I'm thinking The Sun Also Rises. But Hemingway is one of those authors I just never read a lot of, so I'd be willing to give anything a shot.

Lathan wrote:
An inspired choice. What did you have in mind? A Moveable Feast? The Sun Also Rises?

AJ981979 wrote:

~ Happiness is a good book, a sleeping cat, and a glass of wine. ~
Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading To Kill a Mockingbird with me? I have to teach it to my class in a month or so and am looking for a good direction. If anyone would be interested, let me know!

I haven't been on the board in a while and it's good to see some familiar screen names. I hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to more rousing book discussions!
Frequent Contributor
Lathan
0 Kudos

I'd be up for Hemingway or Harper Lee, whichever gets a quorum.

Though I've always privately wondered about the latter: did she apparently have only one novel in her...?
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Yes, she had one novel only, but she's still around. I read Mockingbird this summer, and it's still fabulous. I had seen the movie many years ago.

Lathan wrote:

Though I've always privately wondered about the latter: did she apparently have only one novel in her...?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Future Schedule? To Kill a Mockingbird/Harper Lee

Lathan wrote:

She apparently worked closely with Truman Capote on In Cold Blood. Others have asked the question you pose, to the point of asking whether Harper Lee wrote To Kill a Mockingbird. The little I have read on the subject leaves me among those presuming she did.

Any one around who has looked more closely at the biographical information and is willing to give us some insights?
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 305 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: