Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises

[ Edited ]
From our Hemingway short story featured discussion comes a reader and a contributor with this suggestion. The board was titled Hemingway and in February we attemped to discuss his short stories. Perhaps we could also move onto other books and the topic could be ongoing.

Some of the short stories we read here and questions that were posted here prompted me into reading the book Sun Also Rises.

It had the same abreviated austere style but at the same time beause the narration was longer the characters felt less like skeletons. Prior to reading it I heard it was a book about bull fights. I think that is a wrong assesment.

I'd be happy to discuss it (as well as other Hemingway's books) if anyone is around albeit in a slower pace. Hemingway's work for me is a prescription drug to be taken in small doses.

Among other topics the book zoomes on male friendship (different facets) plus a woman is brought on stage (or some women I'd say in order to include the side characters).

ziki

This is a great idea. If anyone is interested, they can start a thread on Sun Also Rises, which as you will find above, captures many of the themes of the short stories we have been challenged by. Thanks to Ziki, and hope you all take her up on it.

Bob

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 03-11-200711:47 PM

Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

Re: Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises

I read it, and I really liked it a lot, and I've also read his biography...
I've learned another tip as well: Fitzgerald and Hemingway are best looked at together.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

platinumpink wrote:
I read it, and I really liked it a lot, and I've also read his biography...
I've learned another tip as well: Fitzgerald and Hemingway are best looked at together.

They went to Parties together in real life
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

This doesn't really have anything to do with your posts but I just have to say this. The Sun Also Rises sounds to me almost like a Monty Python sketch! I'm sorry I just had to say that! I'm sorry to say that I can't join you for your disscussion but with you the best of luck on it.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 242 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: