Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
KristiGal09
0 Kudos

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I got assigned "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" for my AP English class, and I was wondering if it was good and for all of you who read if, please share you thoughts! Don't give anything away I haven't started it yet, but some people told me it was amazing, I was just curious what others opinions were on it. Thank you!!
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Re: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I have not read the book but I have recently read the poem it was based on. I had had no idea that the title was actually from a poem. I think the author was Dunbar but you might want to Google it to make sure. My prof mentioned that he was doing a take-off of romantic poetry, using archaic language and being self-consciously poetic in imitation. He was saying, yes, I understand the beauty of nature just as you romantic poets do, but I am in a cage. Yet, as a poet, I can still sing. Good luck with the book!
Contributor
pennmlc
0 Kudos

the poem is by Maya Angelou and i believe the book is as well--she's an amazing poet and you should thoroughly enjoy the book
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Looked it up. Paul Laurence Dunbar wrote "Sympathy", It's a nice poem. Maya Angelou must have gotten the line from that poem.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I got assigned "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" for my AP English class, and I was wondering if it was good and for all of you who read if, please share you thoughts! Don't give anything away I haven't started it yet, but some people told me it was amazing, I was just curious what others opinions were on it. Thank you!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
READ IT! It one those books you have to read if you're a girl. H*lls, yes it's good.
Honestly surprised it took until HS for it to pop up in class, in the south you get by 7th.
In college you'll meet girls who know it by heart.
Contributor
BC22
0 Kudos

Yes, I have read it. The book is Autobiographical in nature, and explores various themes including racial segregation, spirituality versus religious culture, and family ties. It's a great read, raw and honest.  You will probably explore simile and metaphor as well. Have you started the book yet?
Contributor
KristiGal09
0 Kudos

BCC2 wrote:
Yes, I have read it. The book is Autobiographical in nature, and explores various themes including racial segregation, spirituality versus religious culture, and family ties. It's a great read, raw and honest.  You will probably explore simile and metaphor as well. Have you started the book yet?

Yes I am in the middle of it and I'm enjoying the book very well!! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
BC22
0 Kudos

What page are you on? I can jump in and discuss it with you if you'd like.
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 616 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: