Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mytigression
0 Kudos

Kate Chopin - The Awakening

By and far my favorite book, I think it is rich with things to discuss, largely due to the highly visual symbolism. I love it, so if you're a fan too I'd love to hear what you have to say!
Christine
Contributor
mytigression
0 Kudos

Re: Kate Chopin - The Awakening

Do you feel that Edna's end was intentional or an accident?
Christine
Contributor
mytigression
0 Kudos

The Awakening - The birds

Did the continuing appearances and bird theme symbolize more than just Edna's "Awakening"
Christine
New User
joanr33075
0 Kudos

It was absolutely deliberate. Emma felt trapped by being a wife and mother and by her station in society. Drowning herself was her means of finding freedom.
Contributor
Rainydaysunshine
0 Kudos

I have never read the "The Awakening" but i have read a couple of short stories by Kate Chopin such as "A Story of an Hour" and "Desiree's Baby" both were really excellent reads. In fact, these two stories were a class assignment on how they represented the different aspects of love.
New User
whitneyyoung
0 Kudos

I believe that it was intentional.  Whether it was due to her inability to deal with the consequences of her actions or simply because she would never be able to express her independence happily within the society of the era.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

joanr33075 wrote:
It was absolutely deliberate. Emma felt trapped by being a wife and mother and by her station in society. Drowning herself was her means of finding freedom.

How do you "know"? (I happen to read the story assuming it was deliberate, but more likely may be that she was ambivalent at some level until a wave actually swamped her life. Doesn't Kate Chopin leave that possibility open in her writing?)
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Having read every thing published by Chopin, you see a pattern. She is echoing the cultural female possibilities, well lack thereof.
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 305 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: