Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Question for Bob: Schedule

[ Edited ]
Happy Thanksgiving, Bob! I've been enjoying the wide-ranging discussion so far, and I'm also really looking forward to reading Moby Dick next month. Will the scheduled discussion last for longer than the standard four weeks, since it's a relatively long novel? Could you create and post a schedule of the chapters we'll be covering each week in advance?

Here's a link to Bob's message on MD, if anyone would like to read it again:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=AmericanClassics&message.id=331

Message Edited by pmath on 12-10-200612:48 PM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Bob: Schedule

I suggest that we go quite slowly on Mobe Dick. It's a lot to digest.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Here's the deal: Moby Dick will be incredibly structured, with a beginning, a middle and an end. People have been crying out for structure. That I can do. The discussion will begin 12/26, the day after the narrative of the novel is supposed to begin.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

MOBY DICK Schedule: Thanks, Bob!

Your proposed start date is a good one for this time of year anyway!

fanuzzir wrote:
Here's the deal: Moby Dick will be incredibly structured, with a beginning, a middle and an end. People have been crying out for structure. That I can do. The discussion will begin 12/26, the day after the narrative of the novel is supposed to begin.

pmath wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving, Bob! I've been enjoying the wide-ranging discussion so far, and I'm also really looking forward to reading Moby Dick next month. Will the scheduled discussion last for longer than the standard four weeks, since it's a relatively long novel? Could you create and post a schedule of the chapters we'll be covering each week in advance?

Here's the address of Bob's message on MD, if anyone would like to read it again:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=AmericanClassics&message.id=331

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hurrah for Bob!

Hurrah for Bob! Hurrah for B&N! Hurrah for Moby Dick! I have a beautiful leather-bound volume that I'm reading now (slowly through cetology) but I ordered the B&N volume today for the notes and to have a book I can mark in. Up with the harpoons!
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:

Good good good! Well done that man! I look forward to 12/26 and some structure even though I did not particularly want to read Moby Dick, which is now on my Xmas list:smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:

Good good good! Well done that man! I look forward to 12/26 and some structure even though I did not particularly want to read Moby Dick, which is now on my Xmas list:smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Hurrah for Bob!

Laurel wrote:
Hurrah for Bob! Hurrah for B&N! Hurrah for Moby Dick! I have a beautiful leather-bound volume that I'm reading now (slowly through cetology) but I ordered the B&N volume today for the notes and to have a book I can mark in. Up with the harpoons!

Hurrah indeed!:smileyhappy: Let's hope this will be the Start of Something New! I too have an old edition which I can dust down. I just found a B&N copy online @ only $1.75 but unfortunately the postage will be $9.98 so it isn't sensible for me to send for it:smileysad: Perhaps Bob could sunmmarise the Notes for we non-B&N readers Over the Pond and otherwise Non-US?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

moby dick fav

I just read on line that Moby Dick was a faved book of Cormac Mc Carthy while he wouldn't care much about Henry James.

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: moby dick fav

ziki wrote:
I just read on line that Moby Dick was a faved book of Cormac Mc Carthy while he wouldn't care much about Henry James.

ziki

Understandable - James was a much more prissy writer than Melville. Melville and Hawthorne were great friends.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

It might be a good idea to start reading it now so that we have digested some of it before Bob sets up the board? I bought a copy yesterday with some extremely good Notes, including some interesting observations about the author's life. I look forward to comparing these with the B&N edition Americans will have. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a section devoted to Notes, Literary Criticism and Links thereto, given that some readers do not like to know anything about the author before reading the book, but others (like me:smileyhappy:) do? We could then put any litcrit or biographical titbits in this section and post a brief reference to them in the main chapter sections.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Laurel wrote:

It might be a good idea to start reading it now so that we have digested some of it before Bob sets up the board? I bought a copy yesterday with some extremely good Notes, including some interesting observations about the author's life. I look forward to comparing these with the B&N edition Americans will have. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a section devoted to Notes, Literary Criticism and Links thereto, given that some readers do not like to know anything about the author before reading the book, but others (like me:smileyhappy:) do? We could then put any litcrit or biographical titbits in this section and post a brief reference to them in the main chapter sections.

Good ideas, Choisya! I'd say, if you have it, go ahead and get started reading. If not, don't worry about getting behind. Above all, take it slowly or you'll choke.
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

That is a good idea, as there are going to be some people who will need the ballast. Moby Dick, though, is still a good read without the apparatus; I'm hoping people like the comedy of the first few chapters. I'll be breaking out some threads to appeal to the literary critical and scholarship side of the club; I'll also have plenty of ways for people to focus on the plot. Let me know if you find any Melville links you trust. A nice start would be the New Bedford Whaling Museum in NB, Massachusetts; more later.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I'm planning on ordering the Everyman's edition. I'd be happy to post the history of the author's life along with literary history and world events once I get the book.

Denise
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Moby Dick : Links etc.

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote:
That is a good idea, as there are going to be some people who will need the ballast. Moby Dick, though, is still a good read without the apparatus; I'm hoping people like the comedy of the first few chapters. I'll be breaking out some threads to appeal to the literary critical and scholarship side of the club; I'll also have plenty of ways for people to focus on the plot. Let me know if you find any Melville links you trust. A nice start would be the New Bedford Whaling Museum in NB, Massachusetts; more later.

I will email you some Links Bob so that you can include them when you set the chapters up:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Choisya on 11-27-200601:23 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Moby Dick : Notes, history etc

donyskiw wrote:
I'm planning on ordering the Everyman's edition. I'd be happy to post the history of the author's life along with literary history and world events once I get the book.

Denise

That will be useful Denise - the Notes in my edition are rather lengthy so I don't think I can do that. I will quote from them where appropriate instead:smileyhappy: I am really looking forward to this read although I wasn't able to watch the film through because of the blood and gore - you will all have to hold my hand:smileyhappy: E Lee says The Jungle is gory too but I can stand gore about folks, it's animals I worry about:smileysad: I will post this right now:smileyhappy::smileyhappy::smileyhappy: :-

http://www.savethewhales.org/
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
E Lee says The Jungle is gory too but I can stand gore about folks, it's animals I worry about:smileysad: I will post this right now:smileyhappy::smileyhappy::smileyhappy: :-

Choisya, "The Jungle" is about a meat-processing plant. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Choisya, I'm the same as you. I have a hard time with animals' suffering. I won't be in The Jungle discussion.

Denise
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:
E Lee says The Jungle is gory too but I can stand gore about folks, it's animals I worry about:smileysad: I will post this right now:smileyhappy::smileyhappy::smileyhappy: :-

Choisya, "The Jungle" is about a meat-processing plant. :smileyhappy:

Oh! It seems that I am going to have to close my eyes a lot over the next two months!!! I hope Bob can arrange something more heartening for February:smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
Choisya, I'm the same as you. I have a hard time with animals' suffering. I won't be in The Jungle discussion.

Denise

I thought The Jungle was about people suffering? Does it deal with abattoirs?? Oh dear:smileysad::smileysad:
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 304 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: