Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Starting a Discussion of Walden?

[ Edited ]
Any progress on getting the Walden discussion, or indeed any other American classics discussion, underway?

Message Edited by Bill_T on 04-11-2007 02:32 PM

0 Kudos

Re: Goodbye to the American Classics Board

[ Edited ]
Everyman, I moved your question and my response to this new thread, to see if we could solicit some other input. (I also edited the subject line to reflect the change).

We don't have a dedicated moderator available right now to build and run a Walden discussion. But if there's still strong interest here I (or anyone) can open some threads to organize a discussion of the book.

It's got 18 chapters of pretty variable lengths, beginning with the long "Economy." Maybe we could divide that into 3 or 4 sections to start with.

Are others keen on a Walden discussion? If so, is the beginning of May too soon to start it, or should we give everyone more time to read ahead? It's a readily available book and quite readable, but with a great deal of depth in every chapter; each often reads somewhere between an exercise in memoir and philosophical meditation.

Everyman wrote:
Any progress on getting the Walden discussion, or indeed any other American classics discussion, underway?

Message Edited by Bill_T on 04-11-2007 02:33 PM

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:
Everyman, I moved your question and my response to this new thread, to see if we could solicit some other input.

Thanks. Let's see what interest might develop.
0 Kudos

Walden interest

I have the book, and am still interested in a discussion, whenever it takes place. Unfortunately, I'm more of a lurker than a poster so I'm not all that helpful when it comes to adding to the bulk of posts.
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Re: Starting a Discussion of Walden?

Do you have any interest in leading a discussion? I've got the book.

KathyH
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Bill T., Kristy and Kathy: Take me to your leader!

I'd like to discuss Walden, too: let's just do it, with or without a leader. I'll create a thread.

hasenbein wrote:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pmath and walden

pmath wrote:
I'd like to discuss Walden, too: let's just do it, with or without a leader. I'll create a thread.

hasenbein wrote:

Hi pmath, that is good but I saw these posts first today...any chance to take it slower? I think this seems to be my motto these days: here's your hat what's your hurry?
I'd be interested but we are tackling Austen and to jump into the woods with such shor notice I can't do. Can you stretch it?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:Are others keen on a Walden discussion? If so, is the beginning of May too soon to start it, or should we give everyone more time to read ahead? It's a readily available book and quite readable, but with a great deal of depth in every chapter; each often reads somewhere between an exercise in memoir and philosophical meditation.

May perhaps or June would be better.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Ziki: Discussion of WALDEN

Done, Z: the schedule is only a suggested one: we can certainly go beyond May!

ziki wrote:
Can you stretch it?

pmath wrote:

hasenbein wrote:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: For Ziki: Discussion of WALDEN

OK, maybe chad would join, too, not sure I suggested it on Moby...and 'Bob die hard' could visit incognito instead of watching TV och cooking Italian food, :smileyvery-happy: or doing all other newyorkish things :smileyvery-happy:
Call him pmath!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Question to Bill T.

Bill, would it be possible to re-engage Bob Fanuzzi perhaps occasionally on 'monthly basis'? Like he could i.e. lead Walden or he could engage in Uncle Tom's Cabin etc.
Just a thought.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Ziki: Bob

[ Edited ]
I hope Chad joins, us, too!
You can contact Bob yourself
, Z:

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-26-2007 04:16 PM
New User
Zestforever
0 Kudos

pmath wrote:
Done, Z: the schedule is only a suggested one: we can certainly go beyond May!

ziki wrote:
Can you stretch it?

pmath wrote:

hasenbein wrote:

Dear Ziki:

In terms of relying on others for things I believe there is a list in the Economy Chapter of the things he brought with him to the Wilderness including things he bought. I remember reading this several years ago and being struck by the fact that he brought very little food. Of what he did bring I remember a sack of peas. His existence I think would have been little more than a very meager subsistence. This is my first entry in a B&N discussion by the way and I am very enthusiastic about reading Walden again. Have we started by the way and is there a calendar and leader? I apologize if I am walking in on class.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Michael: Discussion of WALDEN

[ Edited ]
Hi, Michael: yes, we've started, but we plan to discuss Walden at least until the end of May. You're not walking in: we welcome new participants at any time! Here's a link to the suggested schedule, and the discussion thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=AmericanClassics&message.id=1706

Zestforever wrote:
This is my first entry in a B&N discussion by the way and I am very enthusiastic about reading Walden again. Have we started by the way and is there a calendar and leader? I apologize if I am walking in on class.

Message Edited by pmath on 04-27-200710:16 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Zestforever wrote:smileyvery-happy:ear Ziki:

In terms of relying on others for things I believe there is a list in the Economy Chapter of the things he brought with him to the Wilderness including things he bought. I remember reading this several years ago and being struck by the fact that he brought very little food. Of what he did bring I remember a sack of peas. His existence I think would have been little more than a very meager subsistence. This is my first entry in a B&N discussion by the way and I am very enthusiastic about reading Walden again. Have we started by the way and is there a calendar and leader? I apologize if I am walking in on class.

Hi Zest, welcome indeed. No faux pas on your part, I am still waiting to see who comes to dinner in the woods. We can soon start chewing on the right roots (there are a few of them to recognize, a survival trained marine once told me). We have champagne with it.

See, we have a happy anarchy going on 'right here and now' that pmath, another reader, is trying to master best she can. She also heroically attempts to revive us from our present intellectual stupor into some meaningful vivid discussion, suffice to say with a fairy's grace.

If I had some hype Blatnik shoes I'd try to magnetize our former moderator Bob into orbit but I judge my chances as very bleak. I think we might form a body of die hards and start the project first week in May, promotion or not. I guess we all would feel much better for it.

CU here
I try to time myself, please bring your desillusioned friends into this, too.

ziki
who obviously ate some witty porridge today
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: For Michael: Discussion of WALDEN-ahem..correction

pmath wrote:
Hi, Michael: yes, we've started, but we plan to discuss Walden at least until the end of May.

Nah.....that is: pmath started and she thinks May is enough.

May may be enough, who knows, let's try it in that mode, if not we extend it...but I suggest we start next week (=we who didn't start yet and pmath happily catches up with us :smileyvery-happy: ).

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ralph Waldo Emerson

[ Edited ]
Ha! Thanks, Z. Shall we also plan on discussing some of Ralph Waldo Emerson work in June? I can post a schedule next week, to give everyone time to purchase a book.

ziki wrote:
See, we have a happy anarchy going on 'right here and now' that pmath, another reader, is trying to master best she can. She also heroically attempts to revive us from our present intellectual stupor into some meaningful vivid discussion, suffice to say with a fairy's grace.

Message Edited by pmath on 04-28-200711:35 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Ralph Waldo Emerson's wife

Reader 2
tomwatson
0 Kudos

Re: Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Everybody,

My name is Tom. I'm jumping in here for the Thoreau discussion. Just saying hello. I will take a look at the other messages and see if I can figure out where we are and get caught up. Even though I was a veteran of the old Barnes and Noble University, I have just recently gotten started in the book clubs. Hopefully I'll figure it out and not ask too many "what page are we on?" "May I copy your homework" or "The dog ate my homework" type statements I made when I really was in school.

Everyone have a good day. I'm looking forward to this.

Tom
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Tom: Discussion of WALDEN

Great, Tom: we look forward to your contributions!

tomwatson wrote:
Hi Everybody,

My name is Tom. I'm jumping in here for the Thoreau discussion. Just saying hello. I will take a look at the other messages and see if I can figure out where we are and get caught up. Even though I was a veteran of the old Barnes and Noble University, I have just recently gotten started in the book clubs. Hopefully I'll figure it out and not ask too many "what page are we on?" "May I copy your homework" or "The dog ate my homework" type statements I made when I really was in school.

Everyone have a good day. I'm looking forward to this.

Tom

Users Online
Currently online: 92 members 1,083 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: