Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

the american dream

That is, I think Fitzgerald questions whether the American dream is achieveable. Or what is the American dream exactly? Current newspapers and politicians continue to talk about the American dream.

chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: the american dream

[ Edited ]
...and not that I'm a pessimist. We've given shape and form to the word "dream" by placing the word "American" in front of it. Is this shape fleeting or orgastic? Do we ever achieve it? Are we creating new lines in our pursuit? Does the dream follow the way we conceptualize the universe?- something that vacillates between line and shape? etc. etc.

All from the 1920's,
chad 

PS- see previous posts on universe and dimension...

Message Edited by chad on 06-16-2008 09:14 AM
Contributor
BC22
0 Kudos

Hey Chad,

Did you just post an entire term paper on The Great Gatsby? :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Welcome Becky!

As always, I could write novels. It was time for me to talk to your elders, British or American, although they may have been older or younger at the time they wrote the novel. I was trying to explain that perhaps
 "sadness" or "tragedy" in Nature or the Universe arises from the conformity of shape, wherever we 
"see" a shape in the universe or Nature. Shape must have form. So, if you take my conception of the American dream, or, in other words, how I "shape" my dream, I have to draw a line around it. Fitzgerald also contrasts the wildness of Gatsby's party with elements of conformity. One example might be how the guests parked their cars with formation- conforming to the shape of his front lawn, which, I believe was a rectangle. I'd appreciate all your comments, but I'm supposed to be on hiatus for the summer.

Chad
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Gatsby-Chapters 1-3

hi,
i am going to be reading the great gatsby again for my book group and i was wondering where the rest of the chapters are posted. i would like to see all of the ideas that have been expressed.
this thread seems to begin and end with 1-3 and it starts almost a year ago, in 2007, and continues until late last month, june 2008. was it ever discussed further and if so, where?
thanks,
twj

foxycat wrote:
I'm just dividing the book in thirds artificially, since it's so short. I've asked Krista if she was returning, as she was the original moderator. Meanwhile, let's just all post questions and topics together.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Gatsby-Chapters 1-3

I'm not sure- i just posted my comments to the same thread after the book club was over....

chad
Users Online
Currently online:57 members 566 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: