Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
hryptrluvr13
0 Kudos

What should I read?

I have to choose a book to read for my summer reading assignment. Should I read The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey?

.:*Edward Cullen*:.
Do I dazzle you?
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...
If I could dream at all, it would be about you.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: What should I read?

What is your assignment?  Maybe you could read both and then pick what one you like best.  Neither book is very long and both are very much worth reading.

hryptrluvr13 wrote:
I have to choose a book to read for my summer reading assignment. Should I read The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

I have to agree, both books were excepionally written and worth reading.  I loved them both.
bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey?

Is less likely to be assigned later on.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

hryptrluvr13 wrote:

How old are you? Catcher in the Rye is always the beloved book of teen-agers. I haven't read One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. Haven't even gotten through the movie because it looks depressing. It's summer. If I were a teen-ager, in the summer, I'd want to read Catcher and avoid the mental hospital! :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

Catcher in the Rye begins and ends in some sort of mental hospital, so that is unavoidable with either book.

:smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Indigo-Dragonfly
0 Kudos

As far as American classics... I loved "the Known World" by Edward P. Jones. It was so lovely and so sad.
I also liked "Catcher in the Rye" read it years ago, and may read it again. Such a troubled youth that Holden Caulfield. I also recommend "East of Eden" and "Silence of the Lambs", disturbingly good.
Users Online
Currently online: 68 members 765 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: