Author
AnitaDiamant
0 Kudos

A Welcome from the Author

Dear Readers:

Welcome to this tenth anniversary conversation about The Red Tent.

It's hard to believe that a whole decade has passed since the publication of my first novel. My daughter was only 11 at the time, and now she's a college graduate!

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky by the book's success and especially by the way its popularity grew and continues through word-of-mouth recommendations. Just the other day a woman told me that one reason she loved the book was that it had been recommended to her by her 70-year-old mother, who has since passed away.

It's also been amazing and gratifying to be able to connect with readers through the internet, through my own websites and forums like this one.

I look forward to reading what you have to say about The Red Tent in 2007.

Thanks so much for taking part.

Learn more about
The Red Tent
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from the Author

I have to say that The Red Tent is on my list top ten books. I read the book several years ago, loaned it to someone and never saw it again. I guess I'm going to need a new copy so I can follow along with the discussion.

I can't wait for the discussion.
New User
ladyjustice7
0 Kudos

The is one of my favorite books of all time. My sixteen year old daughter and I are both avid readers and we both loved this book. This is such a wonderful new way of seeing women in the bible and being able to gain new insight into what their lives might have been like. It allows us to connect with them in a whole new way. I cannot wait for the discussion.
New User
Cath
0 Kudos

Two years ago, a week after my mother's passing, I had to go away for three weeks of training. Your novel served as this wondrous place for me. In a strange depictions of these women retreating with each other was mesmerizing. This book has allowed me to better understand the value of girlfriends, and some who have since become true sisters, and a sense of empowerement we all share. Thank you.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Anita,

This was such a wonderful book! Have you considered doing this again with a little known figure (Biblical or otherwise)? Jo
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:
Anita,

This was such a wonderful book! Have you considered doing this again with a little known figure (Biblical or otherwise)? Jo

Hi Jo:

Thanks for your kind words.
I've considered doing it again, and have certainly been asked to by readers. But I am not called to do so. Each of my novels takes me into an entirely new direction, stylistically, historically, thematically. Revisiting a time/place I've written about before is not as interesting -- or difficult.

Anita
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Anita, thank you for joining us to discuss this book. It is one of my all time favorites, and I recommend it all the time. Many of my friends and family have been as captivated as I was by your writing. I have picked up my copy once again to hear Dinah tell her story. I can't wait for the discussion!
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

aha, I've found you're book(borrowed without permission or stole might be a more fitting word, but either way, I have it, and the person in question will forgive me - actually I doubt she'll even notice it's gone). Whether or not I shall begin it before this discussion ends is another subject, but I'll refrain from boring you guys with the terrible tale of how I have come to have so many unread books sitting beside me right now. (lol, I've banned myself from buying anymore books)

ahem **clears throat loudly** I just have to say I adored The Last Days Of Dogtown. It was great, read it a year ago. :smileyhappy:

You may yet see me again!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
aha, I've found you're book(borrowed without permission or stole might be a more fitting word, but either way, I have it, and the person in question will forgive me - actually I doubt she'll even notice it's gone). Whether or not I shall begin it before this discussion ends is another subject, but I'll refrain from boring you guys with the terrible tale of how I have come to have so many unread books sitting beside me right now. (lol, I've banned myself from buying anymore books)

ahem **clears throat loudly** I just have to say I adored The Last Days Of Dogtown. It was great, read it a year ago. :smileyhappy:

You may yet see me again!

And thanks for mentioning my most recent novel. And no, I do no know this person and did not pay her/him for doing so.
:smileyhappy:
Contributor
demarcodarcy
0 Kudos

Thank you again for "The Red Tent." I hadn't realized that the book was ten years old. I read it a few years ago.

Thanks again,

Darcy DeMarco
New User
trinityksj
0 Kudos

Dear Anita,

I am happy to be reading The Red Tent for the first time on its' tenth anniversary!
I'm swept away already.

Thanks so much for writing The Last Days Of Dogtown. I literally live in Dogtown, having built a home on the edge of the Dogtown Road twelve years ago. The power and stark beauty of this place is what drew me to be part of the conservation effort to keep its' memory alive.
Your characterizations were wonderfully believable,and breathed some life into my own imagination. You are part of the new history of this place.

Thanks again!
Kathleen
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Dear Kathleen:
Thanks so much for your lovely comment. Dogtown and indeed all of Cape Ann put me into a whole different frame of mind.

Anita
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Anita_Diamant wrote:

Jo6353 wrote:
Anita,

Hi Jo:

Thanks for your kind words.
I've considered doing it again, and have certainly been asked to by readers. But I am not called to do so. Each of my novels takes me into an entirely new direction, stylistically, historically, thematically. Revisiting a time/place I've written about before is not as interesting -- or difficult.

Anita

Anita, I can understand that! Jo
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Anita_Diamant wrote (ed):... Revisiting a time/place I've written about before is not as interesting -- or difficult.

Anita

Anita, Why do you say "or difficult"?

I note you have said that a couple of times in posts. It would seem to me that it could be as or more difficult?

(Note that I don't question "not as interesting." :smileyhappy: )
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Anita_Diamant wrote (ed):... Revisiting a time/place I've written about before is not as interesting -- or difficult.

Anita

Anita, Why do you say "or difficult"?

I note you have said that a couple of times in posts. It would seem to me that it could be as or more difficult?

(Note that I don't question "not as interesting." :smileyhappy: )

Good point. Careful reading.
I probably should explain that better. "Difficult" in that I feel I have to start over every time I begin a book in a historical period that I have not tackled in the past. I guess I enjoy the challenge of researching something "all new" to me.

Thanks!

Anita
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Anita,

Do you remember any favorite sources you used when preparing to write? I have intended for a long time to begin reading--or at least a close browsing of--Ginzberg's "Legends of the Jews" and wondered if you remember reading it or another source of Biblical folklore? I was really taken by the impression of being on the early cusp of monotheism, by the explanations of the "functions" and characteristics of gods and goddesses in the novel.
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

A couple of books I found fascinating were "In the Wake of the Goddesses" by Frymer-Kensky,and a book about the history of spinning and weaving. I think it was called, "Women's Work: THe first 10,000 years."
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Wonderful, thanks! I'll look them both up. I've been a fiber addict for the past few years, so that second title sounds especially interesting.
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 201 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: