Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Cycles

TeriSue in another thread said, "I found myself wishing that I had learned to have a more spiritual, a more knowing perspective of my own body’s cycles ... "

This was a point of envy for me, too. I had a sense while reading that our technologies set us out of synch with natural rhythms, and I pay little attention to some basic physical aspects of life. In the novel, the moon's cycles, bodily cycles, seasons, life cycles, all set the calendar for the characters, and their relationship with time feels more engaged, more relaxed, even more joyful.

What was your experience of time and cycles in the novel?
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Cycles

I too envy their "cycle of life." They seem so attuned to themselves and each other and truly seem to enjoy and celebrate it together. The support that they give each other is palpable. The women seem truly attuned to all life around and within them.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

I tended to this of this period of time, in which both male and female were projected into the heavens as gods and goddesses, as seeing both sexes as participating in the sacred The female body and experience had not been divorced from divinity.

This is not the same as matriarchal religion. The pantheon in the ancient near east had pairs of gods: father/daughter, mother/son, sister/brother, lovers, etc.

God "HE" was not alone. There was always God "SHE" as well.

I am not endorsing anything here; just describing a profoundly different universe.

Hope this helps!

Such great questions out there.

Thanks,

Anita
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
One interesting point about the natural cycles that shaped the lives of the men and women in the novel is how closely they lived with large herds of animals. The goats and sheep biological cycles are intricately tied to the earth.

For example, lambs and ewes recognize each other by their scent. And in cases where ewes died, and their newborn lambs were motherless, shepherds would smear the lanolin and blood of the dead mother into the wool of another ewe so that the orphaned lamb would "recognize" her as its mother, and the adoption process would go smoother.

On the other hand, for ewes whose lambs died, shepherds would smear the blood of their dead lamb onto a motherless one, so that the ewe would "recognize" that lamb as her own.

The same goes with the crops that they planted, weeded and harvested. They had to recycle their arable plots of land, so that natural nutrients could be replenished.

There's a lot of this cyclical naturalism in the life cycle of The Red Tent.

Message Edited by IBIS on 11-08-2007 01:07 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
JM
New User
JM
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I too envy their "cycle of life." They seem so attuned to themselves and each other and truly seem to enjoy and celebrate it together. The support that they give each other is palpable. The women seem truly attuned to all life around and within them.

I so enjoyed the fact that the women embraced the cycle and welcomed it..if only we can do the same in this time and age, we tend to be very negative on our cycle and lost the whole purpose of our cycle, and thanks to Anita she brought it back, and for me see made me envy the red tent and all the wonderful bonding the women did....i want a red tent of my own..LOL
JM
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 568 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: