Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group.

Also, let us know if you've read The Red Tent before (don't give away any spoilers!) or if this is your first reading of the book.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I'll pop in and out of the group since I'll be managing Wide Sargasso Sea in "Literature by Women." The Red Tent is such a sweeping book, giving Dinah a background that I never imagined; she's a footnote to her brothers and a pawn to her father in the Bible story, but Anita gave her such a voice. The opening lines of the novel are incredible.

Jessica wrote:

Also, let us know if you've read The Red Tent before (don't give away any spoilers!) or if this is your first reading of the book.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Hi, I live in Washington (state) where it rains over half the year and I am always reading something. I read The Red Tent several years ago and it is incredible. Any time I have to list my top ten books, The Red Tent is on the list. I guess I'm going to need a new copy, as I loaned my book out and never got it back.
Contributor
VibRata60
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

The Red Tent is one of my all time favorite books. I found it in a second hand store and paid $2 for this great book. I have since purchased 5 or 6 as gifts for women friends. I felt so connected to the women in the book and I understood so much more about women today. I think I will read it again so I can join in on the discussions.
Vibby
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

I read this book in 2003 when I friend recommended it. It is on my list of favorites! I read a borrowed copy, so I just ordered one to read it again and to keep it near at hand. I'm really excited to be able to discuss this book with everyone and to hear what Anita has to say.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Hi, I've owned The Red Tent for about three years but until this point I've never had the chance to read it. What a great opportunity this is to finally read it and discuss it with all of you and Ms. Diamant too! I began reading it this past Monday and feel transported to another time whenever I pick it up. The mezmerizing illustration on the cover draws me in like no other.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm here in Boston near Fenway where the Red Sox play! Exciting baseball championship time here in old Beantown.

I've heard a lot about the RED TENT over the years; many of my women friends rave about it. And I always meant to read it. Now B&N offers me a perfect opportunity to catch up, and share everyone's thoughts about it.

It's always exciting to have the author herself share her time and ideas!

Looking forward to joining everyone!
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
Rags
0 Kudos

I love to read and look forward to sharing my thoughts on The Red Tent. I'm cluelss about the author and the book, so this will expand my world. I have not purchased the book but plan to pick up this weekend. Chat soon, Rags
New User
nanabear
0 Kudos

Hi. I am in Ann Arbor, MI. I have had the book, "The Red Tent" for a few years. My friends have raved about it. To this point, I have yet to read it. This will be a perfect way to do just that. Thank you Barnes and Noble. Looking forward to a GREAT discussion.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I read The Red Tent a few years ago when a co-worker handed it to me and said "Here, I think you'll like this." She was right. Not only did I enjoy but I recommended it to a number of people. I'm looking forward to this discussion. Jo
New User
carolbrigid
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm Carol Brigid from Maryland. I read The Red Tent when it first came out and I have never forgotten Dinah and her story. I LOVED this book and since it has been a long time since I read it, I would love to read it again. I have recommended it to many of my friends who loved it as much as I did.
New User
chastity1177
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Good morning! I am turning 30 years old next month and I live in Sacramento. I have been an avid reader for many years and totally enjoy being lost in all the books I read. I found The Red Tent at a used bookstore near my job earlier this year and decided to check it out. After reading The Red Tent, I fell in love with it! I felt I was right there with the sisters experiencing everything that they experienced. What a wonderful story--one that I could not put down. I read it in 2 days flat--with my daughter's hula lessons, swimming lessons, jazz lessons and my own 9-5 job! This book is one of the top 10 books l that I suggest to anyone who will listen. I am totally looking forward to discussing this book with Ms. Diamant...

Message Edited by chastity1177 on 10-26-2007 01:25 PM
New User
duluthfox
0 Kudos

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. It is definitely in my top 5! I'm from Duluth, MN, I love reading, especially through our long winters!
New User
matriarchy
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm 46 and my daughter is 14. We are a secular homeschooling family in Pennsylvania. I was lent The Red Tent years ago, and couldn't recall who I borrowed it from after I read it. Now I put post-it-notes in borrowed books! I gave it to my daughter last year, to write a book report. We both count the book among our favorites and are excited to have the chance to follow a discussion lead by the author.
New User
Elicia
0 Kudos

I live in a 'burb of Atlanta, GA and have read the Red Tent twice in the last 5 years. I guess I'll have to read it again to participate in this conversation. Thanks to Ms. Daimant for her imagination and skill in giving flesh, breath and blood to women of whom I had never given more than a passing thought. They are now all a part of me.
New User
CarolKaz
0 Kudos

Hi, I read this book several years ago and it remains in my top 10 of all time. I love the story, the history, and the imagery. I look forward to re-reading and discussing with everyone here.

Carol
New User
marooch
0 Kudos

My name is Mary Anne. I love to read any and everything from fiction, to biography, some history and can't be bothered with most sci-fi.

I read The Red Tent a while ago, and found it one of the best books I have ever read. I gave my copy to somebody else to read, as I usually do, to share the wealth, and haven't seen it come back yet. That's a good sign!

I probably should buy another copy to discuss the story on B&N book club pages.....
New User
DiGear
0 Kudos

I am a Grandmother who LOVES to read. I have to have a book in my hand most of the time. I adore reading to my 3 grandchildren and am very proud to say that each of them, 6,3,&8 months love books!! My 3 yr old grddtr thinks she can read because she can tell you a story with pictures of the book.
I read The Red Tent in 2001. I loved it. I have recommended it to many friends and I also recommended it to my book group. It was a hit. I also have read Good Harbor by Anita Diament and really enjoyed it as well. therefore I am anxiously awaiting a new novel!!!
For the last 11 yrs I have kept a book journal and it has added to my pleasure of reading and books. I recommend doing this for anyone who is an avid reader.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

First, let me say that I look forward to another board with Rachel as our moderator and to hearing from Anita Diamant. I am delighted to see that Anita has already visited! It was several years ago now that Red Tent was the December selection of my long-standing book group, but I do know where my copy lies!

My handle on these boards is Peppermill, usually shortened by respondents to Pepper or P. I am an avid reader and look forward to this discussion. B&N has been teaching me the value of "second" reads -- I had always believed too many good new choices existed to re-read! The insights participants provide on these boards are such a privilege!
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Micha68
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm Micah (actually, Mike). My wife loaned me her copy of "The Red Tent" when she finished it and I was immediately hooked.

That's been a few years ago.

At present, I am involved in a Bible study at my church, which involves an in-depth study of the book of Genesis. As such, the topic of the "Red Tent" came up again. When I saw this book-club event, I just had to participate.

Looking forward to it.
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 256 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: