Contributor
TeriSueT
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello, All. I live in Grandview, Missouri (the southern edge of Kansas City). I am a caregiver, with a special place in my heart for my present charge, a lady who has Alzheimer's. I purchased a copy of "The Red Tent" about a year ago, but it, like hundreds of other books I own and wish to read ... has remained on the shelf, awaiting its turn. When I opened my B&N email just now and found that Anita Diamant ~ "The Red Tent" was being featured by the B&N Book Club, I immediately knew that I wanted to read this book NOW and to be a part of the ongoing conversation relating thereto. I look forward to reading this book, to our time together here, and to our new insights regarding this famous book.
New User
jderidder
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,
I'm Jen lving in a very wet North Carolina, finally. Reading is one of the happiest ways to spend my time. I was given this book several years ago by my sister and I have since passed it on to many others. It was a great read. I am looking forward to the discussion.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

jderidder wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm Jen lving in a very wet North Carolina, finally. Reading is one of the happiest ways to spend my time. I was given this book several years ago by my sister and I have since passed it on to many others. It was a great read. I am looking forward to the discussion.

I understand the passing around of the book! I can't remember who has my copy of this book! I have asked around but still can't find it. It has been a few years ago that I read it. Of course I remember the premise of the story but not alot of detail. Oh! my! Think! think! Hope I can conjer the borrower up.Oh! I am Linda from Central Va. Oldie on Barnes and Noble. Hello all.
New User
angelbe
0 Kudos

I really loved the book "Red Tent" I read it awhile ago but I still remembr how wonderful it made me feel and how I rejoiced with the character.
New User
chelleytn
0 Kudos

Hi
I am a 29 yr old female from tennessee. i read this book a couple of times in the past 3 years. I love it. Anita did a wonderful job of shedding light on Dinah's story..can't wait for the discussion to start so i can read it again. hello everyone and great reading.
New User
heymom
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the "Talk with Authors". I recently read this book and thought I would check this out. I really enjoyed the book and had it on my "stack of books to be read". It just took me awhile to get to it. I really enjoyed it, too.

I'm a 50/F living in Florida. I read a lot and almost anything. When not reading I spend time with my 2 parrots. Even though I have lived in Florida my whole life I do enjoy traveling.
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. What a terrific and diverse group. I look forward to our "conversations" and to learning from you what The Red Tent has meant for you.
I believe that books come to life the reader's imagination -- regardless of author's intentions.

Write on!

Anita
New User
Talitha
0 Kudos

Hello:-)I am a daughter, sister, mother of three daughters and a son, aspiring midwife, avid reader.
Each of the four times I've read this book, I've wept through the first few pages.
I really feel that Anita captures something profoundly true about mothers, daughters, and the community of women.
At the Birthingway ritual before my last birth, we read lines from "The Red Tent" because the words felt sacred.

What a rich and deeply moving tale from beginning to end.

Talitha, daughter of Sara, granddaughter of Alice, Lorene, Naomi, and Rita, great granddaughter of Sarah, Josephine, Margaret, and Ruth
New User
Cath
0 Kudos

Two years ago, a week after my mother's passing, I had to go away for three weeks of training. The Red Tent served as this wondrous place for me. In a strange depictions of these women retreating with each other was mesmerizing. This book has allowed me to better understand the value of girlfriends, and some who have since become true sisters, and a sense of empowerement we all share. Thank you.
Contributor
Laurabairn
0 Kudos

I am from Northwest Conneticut and read this book when it first was published. I have given it as a gift several times and LOVE the way it evolves as a story. I have been told the audio version is amazing and will listen to it this time. I am traveling to Japan this week and this will be my entertainment on the plane, along with Anna Karenina...all these strong women will be marvelous traveling companions.
New User
PDMom
0 Kudos

This is my first B&N book club. I love The Red Tent and have recommended it to many friends and colleagues. I keep a lending library in my office and this book is almost never in. It is a wonderful celebration of the joys of the sisterhood of women. Brava, Anita!
Contributor
shatril
0 Kudos

Hellow,

I am an avid reader, and I have read this book when it was first published. It is time to read it again. I hadn't realized it was 10 years ago that I read it. Tempest Fugit.

Shatril
Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
New User
jewelsbug81
0 Kudos

A few years back, I had surgery. I was staying with my mom for a few weeks to recover. During that time, she gave me her copy of 'The Red Tent'. Being a little stubborn, I didn't read it while I was there. It was not until I was on the plane home that I picked it up. Wow! I could not remember the last time I felt moved by words on a page. After I finished it, I called mom and thanked her for recommending it. To this day it is in my top 10. I have passed it on to others who enjoyed it.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

What a wonderful crew! I can't wait to see how our conversations unfold, with many of us new to the novel and also a number of longtime initiates. I love a theme here--that so many have had this novel given to them (or have given it to) a family member. Isn't that unusual?

To those who have had the novel passed along in this way, is this normal or unusual for you? It seems to be something I'm hearing over and over again about this novel in particular.
New User
mrfellmd
0 Kudos

I've never read "The Red Tent" before. I was reintroduced to it at a conference I
went to last week at JTS celebrating the life of Prof Fanya Frymer-Kensky. There I attended a session by Prof. Jill Hammer. She mentioned this book which I was happy to
find on my bookshelf. A friend had lent it to me years ago. I never read it and mean to read it now.

Millie
Reader
starrstruck
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I am an avid reader from Georgia. I recently joined the book club at my local library and they had just finished "The Red Tent". The moderator gave me a copy to read and this will be the perfect opportunity to read and share. This is my first time with this forum. I am looking forward to reading everyone's ideas, especially Ms. Diamant's. Thank you!

Message Edited by starrstruck on 10-27-2007 03:15 PM
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Donna and I am from Western MA. My husband and I have three sons, a daughter-in-law, and our dog Oscar. We both love to read, revealed by the many bookcases in our home. lol

I am so excited to be able to discuss "The Red Tent" with Anita Diamant! I read it a few years ago, loved it, and have recommended it to many others. It was fabulous to discuss "The Last Days of Dogtown" with Ms. Diamant in the old BNU, and I look forward to the discussion here. Now I am going to pick up my copy of the book and start the journey again!
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
mildone
0 Kudos

I was so busy taking other Book Club studies that I missed The Red Tent. This a book that I shared with my wife and five adult children and all enjoyed this book. I will have to hurry up to share the comments made by those informed people so that I maybe further enlighten by this most informative book.
mildone
Contributor
OldMustyBooks
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Rachel. I'm from Florida and I'm 33. Over several years, I have read the Red Tent many times, I've loaned it out (and always got it back) probably 3 dozen times. The men and women I've loaned it to have adored the book and went on to buy their own copies.

thank you Ms. Diamant for writing it!
To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions. ~William James
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

As I specified on another thread, I haven't read this book. Yet, mind. I am er, under fifteen, I will say - though don't judge me now, I am "mature for me age." I plan to read The Red Tent as soon as possible.

Thanks ---iris.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Users Online
Currently online: 79 members 714 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: