Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

ABI wrote:
As I specified on another thread, I haven't read this book. Yet, mind. I am er, under fifteen, I will say - though don't judge me now, I am "mature for me age." I plan to read The Red Tent as soon as possible.

Thanks ---iris.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts, Iris! It is good to see different age groups represented in book discussion groups. Happy reading. =)
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I am so enjoying the Barnes and Noble on-line bookclubs. It forces me to read at least one book a month! I love to read, I love book stores, I love the library. Funny thing is, I work in the medical field! Maybe some day I will explore my passion for reading a little further. Anyway, I must admit I have never read The Red Tent, but when I read what the book was about I was totally intrigued! I started reading it a few days ago and can't seem to put it down! I think I will learn a lot about the mother-daughter relationship. I am going to give this book to my daughter-n-law for Christmas. I'm so glad The Red Tent was one of the B&N recommended readings. I look forward to discussing the book with everyone! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
What a wonderful crew! I can't wait to see how our conversations unfold, with many of us new to the novel and also a number of longtime initiates. I love a theme here--that so many have had this novel given to them (or have given it to) a family member. Isn't that unusual?

To those who have had the novel passed along in this way, is this normal or unusual for you? It seems to be something I'm hearing over and over again about this novel in particular.

I generally find it usual that people give me books to read. However, the co-worker who gave me this book is not one that I routinely exchange books with or have even discussed books with. She just read it and thought that I would enjoy it. Jo
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

rkubie wrote:
What a wonderful crew! I can't wait to see how our conversations unfold, with many of us new to the novel and also a number of longtime initiates. I love a theme here--that so many have had this novel given to them (or have given it to) a family member. Isn't that unusual?

To those who have had the novel passed along in this way, is this normal or unusual for you? It seems to be something I'm hearing over and over again about this novel in particular.

I generally find it usual that people give me books to read. However, the co-worker who gave me this book is not one that I routinely exchange books with or have even discussed books with. She just read it and thought that I would enjoy it. Jo

That is exactly how it happened with me. A co-worker recommended it, a co-worker I had never discussed books with before. I'm not even sure how the book was brought up, but I'm sure glad it was.
New User
matriarchy
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
As I specified on another thread, I haven't read this book. Yet, mind. I am er, under fifteen, I will say - though don't judge me now, I am "mature for me age." I plan to read The Red Tent as soon as possible.

Thanks ---iris.

Hi Iris! My 14-year-old daughter will also be reading along and making comments. I gave it to her to read last year and she really liked it. I think it is a "fast read" once you get started. It looks like this discussion will be broken into segments, so you have time to read as we go.
New User
ColleenM
0 Kudos

Hi, I live in the Seattle, Washington area. I read "The Red Tent" several years ago after watching Anita Diamant on CSPAN Book TV. I loved it. I've recommended it to so many people (men and women) since then. I've also read some of Anita's other books -- they enrich the soul. So happy to have this opportunity to re-visit one of my all-time favorite authors.
New User
derryfield
0 Kudos

My name is Vicki and I live in central Kentucky. I've read The Red Tent (10 years ago) and found it fascinating. I'm looking forward to discussing it.
Vickisoo
New User
Mariama
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Mariama and I am 14 years-old. I have The Red Tent so many times. It was my mother's book but she let me keep it. I have read the bible story on Jacob. I am in high school and I am looking forward to all of Ms.Diamant's books.
New User
JoAnne12
0 Kudos

I am new to B&N book clubs and am looking forward to discussions with avid readers like myself. I am from Michigan. I first borrowed The Red Tent from my church library in 2003. It is indeed a memorable read.
Contributor
opticjunkie
0 Kudos

Hello all. This is my first posting on BN book clubs. I've checked out other discussions before but never had the chance to sign-up. I couldn't resist this time, since "The Red Tent" is one of my favorite books, especially to lend out to friends. How many copies have I given away? Too many for sure. (I'm one of those annoying friends who thinks everyone should get to have the life changing book reading experiences that I do. I'm slowly getting better. My monthly book club helps.) Actually, I have used this book in the past as a way to get to know someone better. I can tell by their reaction to this story how far I can go with them in conversations about other topics. Wow, that sounds sneakier and more subversive than I meant it to. I just like to talk openly about things but never wish to offend. Does that seem nicer? Anyway, I discovered The Red Tent on my own when it first came out in paperback. I loved it and couldn't wait to discuss it and gave away my first copy within a week. By the way, I really loved The Last Days of Dogtown. It moved me in way I didn't expect. I would love to get on a discussion about that one too, but another day. I guess I have yet to give away enough copies.
Contributor
opticjunkie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

I am one of those guilty of giving this book to others. I discovered it on my own though. I was always an avid reader until I had my first child. I was still constantly reading but it was nothing but child-rearing magazines and "What to Expect..." books. I didn't realize this until six years later a neighbor invited me to join a book club she was starting. I was very disappointed with myself that I had no titles to suggest to read. I joined but it didn't last too long. (never really bonded with any of them or their book choices) The good thing was it got me reading again. I started browsing the book aisle at Costco, and that's where I picked up The Red Tent. At the time, I only knew one other who had read it. That's why I've given so many copies away over the years. Read my self intro (#50, I think) if you want to know why.
Contributor
shatril
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Shatril and I love to read. I will read anything, including labels on packages. I read this book when in was on the bestsellers list, and it has stuck with me. I am reading this again for this club . I'm sure I will get even more from it due to the club discussion.

Shatril
Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Reader
MissMarina
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm in Boston and in response to IBIS, yes it is a great time for Red Sox Nation!

I have had Red Tent for a few years now, but have never read it. A dear friend passed away 2 years ago this month at the age of 51 and I remember in our last conversation that she said Red Tent was her favorite book of all time. So, in her honor, I will finally read it and have others to share thoughts with. I'm looking forward to it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

MissMarina wrote:
Hi. I'm in Boston and in response to IBIS, yes it is a great time for Red Sox Nation!

I have had Red Tent for a few years now, but have never read it. A dear friend passed away 2 years ago this month at the age of 51 and I remember in our last conversation that she said Red Tent was her favorite book of all time. So, in her honor, I will finally read it and have others to share thoughts with. I'm looking forward to it.

Miss Marina -- I see you are a new member! Welcome to these boards! May you find them as enriching as so many others of us have.

What a beautiful way to honor your dear friend. I believe that you will find The Red Tent an appropriate story for your memorial journey.

When I attended an Omega Conference a few years ago at the Sheraton Hotel in NYC, one room was arrayed as a "Red Tent." It was a place for rest, relaxation, and quiet conversation between conference sessions. Truly an inspired place, its walls and ceiling were of shimmering red fabrics and the floor was covered with a myriad of red pillows and hassocks of various sizes and shapes.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
steelmagnolia
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group.

Also, let us know if you've read The Red Tent before (don't give away any spoilers!) or if this is your first reading of the book.

Hi, all. I'm a newcomer to online discussions, and read THE RED TENT at least 2 years ago. I do have excellent retention ability, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I held a part-time job at Waldenbooks (sorry B&N, you didn't have a position available at the time :}). That meant I had the good fortune to recommend the book to many others who enjoyed it as well as I, and we were able to discuss it to some degree, even without benefit of a discussion group. I look forward to the opportunity to hear directly from Ms. Diamant, as well as from others who may have questions and comments similar to mine.

Thanks to B&N for the chance, and thanks to the rest of you for "listening."
pll, steel magnolia
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

steelmagnolia wrote:

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group.

Also, let us know if you've read The Red Tent before (don't give away any spoilers!) or if this is your first reading of the book.

Hi, all. I'm a newcomer to online discussions, and read THE RED TENT at least 2 years ago. I do have excellent retention ability, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I held a part-time job at Waldenbooks (sorry B&N, you didn't have a position available at the time :}). That meant I had the good fortune to recommend the book to many others who enjoyed it as well as I, and we were able to discuss it to some degree, even without benefit of a discussion group. I look forward to the opportunity to hear directly from Ms. Diamant, as well as from others who may have questions and comments similar to mine.

Thanks to B&N for the chance, and thanks to the rest of you for "listening."

Welcome to our discussion, steelmagnolia. We are delighted to have you here.
Contributor
seafox5548
0 Kudos

Hello all!

I'm from Pittsburgh and this is my first time reading "The Red Tent". I love reading historical fiction of all kinds, including Biblical fiction. I picked this book up at our local half-price bookstore and didn't have a chance to read it. Now's the time! It's great that the author will be participating. I'm looking forward to the discussion.
Contributor
poimenes
0 Kudos

Cath wrote:
This book has allowed me to better understand the value of girlfriends, and some who have since become true sisters, and a sense of empowerement we all share. Thank you.

I have to agree - this book helped me speak more freely to my girlfriends and understand the need for them in my life.
I'm Hazel in Texas and I read the book just over a year ago, summer 2006 I believe. I found it mesmerizing and wonderful. It really opens up the world of women in Biblical times.
Hazel
New User
wanderer
0 Kudos

A few years ago, I was driving 3 hours a day to work; audio tapes made the drive easier. The single narrator in Red Tent made it the perfect audio book. While I listened to the Red Tent, the commutes were magical. The car became my tent in the desert and to while away the hours, Dinah seemed to sit with me and tell me about her life. It was a beautiful story to listen to. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing it with others.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

How many have listened to the audio? I sometimes go back and forth between reading and listening, but I find them to be fantastically different experiences, and sometimes I wonder if you remember details with a different emphasis after reading or listening.
Users Online
Currently online: 84 members 1,073 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: