Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

rkubie wrote:
How many have listened to the audio? I sometimes go back and forth between reading and listening, but I find them to be fantastically different experiences, and sometimes I wonder if you remember details with a different emphasis after reading or listening.
For myself, I would say, yes, definitely, remembering is different, although at this stage I don't think I can generalize on the nature of those differences or to what extent they interplay with the type of material. Interestingly, I think I am more aware of structure when listening than I am with reading.

Since I tend to read for ideas, characters probably have a greater chance of being developed in listening for me, because I must remember them from one appearance to the next and they become very like getting to know someone in "real-life." But I don't expect that trait to be generally true, since I know many readers whose primary enjoyment of reading seems to be to developing a relationship with the characters . They often remember the characters more than the book per se.

I have not listened to the audio of The Red Tent. It appeared before I started regularly listening to books. Also, I tend to use audio for things I wouldn't otherwise get through; The Red Tent is the type of book that it is a pleasure to just sit and read.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
How many have listened to the audio? I sometimes go back and forth between reading and listening, but I find them to be fantastically different experiences, and sometimes I wonder if you remember details with a different emphasis after reading or listening.

I haven't listened to the audio, but have read the book at least twice. After the recommendations for the audio, I am going to have to check it out.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Listening to a book in the care is "transporting," I agree. So glad you enjoyed the reading! I think listening is the primordial form of literature. The way we absorb books as children and the way our earliest ancestors shared tales.

Anita
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Oops. How do I correct a typo? I meant "car" not "care."

sorry.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I agree, listening to a good reading is exactly like our ancestors' oral traditions. The greatest epic poems like the Illiad and The Oddesey were originally meant to be recited to audiences. The stories that the women share in the Red Tent were oral.

Listening is a sense that captures vocal nuances that we don't pick up from the written word. Sometimes, the entire meaning of dialogue can change by pauses, change in tempo, and stressing certain words.

They're two means of story telling that appeal to two of our very different senses. No wonder they're like two very different experiences.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Anita_Diamant wrote:
Oops. How do I correct a typo? I meant "car" not "care."

sorry.

Anita -- if you select "options" in the upper right corner within about 90 minutes of posting, a choice will appear that permits editing one's own messages. Hope that helps -- it took me a good while to discover that one.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Thanks! You're really a pro at this!

AD
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Posting

Anita_Diamant wrote:
Thanks! You're really a pro at this!

AD

Anita -- I've had good teachers and role models.

Incidentally, you have been one of the most enjoyable author participants with whom I have interacted -- so willing to be part of the discussions!
Contributor
JulieZ
0 Kudos

Hi!

My name's Julie. I'm 16 years old, I live in Pennsylvania, and I'm an avid reader. I read The Red Tent this summer and greatly enjoyed it. I've participated in a few of these book clubs before and found it to be a really exciting experience to get to read a book with so many different people around the world and to converse with an author. I just learned that Anita Diamant was on one of them, and I immediately wanted to join! I'm very excited!
Julie
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Hi Julie;
Welcome aboard. It's great to have you here and I hope you enjoy the conversation. I think the comments are wonderful and thoughtful.

Anita Diamant
Contributor
MuvverDawn
0 Kudos

I am the mother of 2 wonderful sons, who've grown to be phenomenal men. I live in southeast Wisconsin, midway between Milwaukee and Chicago.

I cannot believe it's been 10 years since I first read The Red Tent for the first time... It is among the greatest books I've ever had the pleasure of reading, and one of a very small number which I've read multiple times, and been touched deeply upon each reading. It resides firmly within my Top 3.

I, too, have recommended The Red Tent to friends, and have gifted it to a number of women.

I'm regret that I am late to the group, but anxious to read on............

Blessings
Reader
MissMarina
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

Peppermill wrote:

MissMarina wrote:
Hi. I'm in Boston and in response to IBIS, yes it is a great time for Red Sox Nation!

I have had Red Tent for a few years now, but have never read it. A dear friend passed away 2 years ago this month at the age of 51 and I remember in our last conversation that she said Red Tent was her favorite book of all time. So, in her honor, I will finally read it and have others to share thoughts with. I'm looking forward to it.

Miss Marina -- I see you are a new member! Welcome to these boards! May you find them as enriching as so many others of us have.

What a beautiful way to honor your dear friend. I believe that you will find The Red Tent an appropriate story for your memorial journey.

When I attended an Omega Conference a few years ago at the Sheraton Hotel in NYC, one room was arrayed as a "Red Tent." It was a place for rest, relaxation, and quiet conversation between conference sessions. Truly an inspired place, its walls and ceiling were of shimmering red fabrics and the floor was covered with a myriad of red pillows and hassocks of various sizes and shapes.

Thank you for your warm welcome!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome! and moving on?!

MissMarina wrote:
Thank you for your warm welcome!

Miss Marina -- since THE RED TENT has slowed down with the departure of the author, do consider joining readers on another thread!? It takes awhile to figure out what is active and for how long and you may have to come back to match your interests, but still hope you will find the effort worthwhile and rewarding.
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 879 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: