Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Later Chapters, Part Three

Please use this thread to discuss the last chapters of the novel, all of part three.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters, Part Three

I'm now at the point where Dinah's in Egypt for many years. Her son is now grown, and works as the right-hand man for Joseph, Dinah's younger brother.

It's fascinating how Anita created this story where some pieces of the story, like Joseph's colored coat, and that he was sold into Egyptian slavery. And to see it replay itself around Dinah's lifestory was truly amazing.

I can't wait to finish up the rest of the book!

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Ibis,

I also liked how much time we pass with Dinah in the story. I found that section to be both strangely peaceful and anxious at once. She has little control over her own fate, but motherhood has really allowed her to blossom.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Rachel, its true how helpless she was at controlling her destiny in Egypt. Being forced to flee, she was a stranger in such a strange land. Her mother-in-law terrified me. Actually, everything about Egypt scared me. I can't imagine how she must have felt.

Her lonely life in Egypt contrasted so sharply with the loving community of mothers in Canaan. When having her sole reason for existence, her son, was sent away to school, I wasn't sure I could bear the misery of her life. I was ready to give up and not finish the novel.

When she meets her wonderful carpenter husband, I was so relieved with her small bit of happiness. It encouraged me to continue reading. I am close to the end.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Dinah's sojourn in Egypt is where she becomes herself. As hard as the challenges were, without the dislocation, she could never have discovered her power or examined her life. I think this might be her greatest stregnth: "integrating" (to use a kind of social work jargon) the difficulties to become even more whole.

I think these last few comments are incredibly wise and moving.

Anita
Users Online
Currently online:21 members 212 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: