Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Middle Chapters, 2-8

Please use this thread to discuss the novel from chapter 3 through the end of chapter 8.
Contributor
TeriSueT
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 2-8

Now, I know that Dinah will be a part of me forever. Being privy to so much of her private life and family life ... her growing awareness, her yearnings and her introduction to the “ways of women” ... has made me feel more welcome (in such a world) . .. and wiser ... than I have felt before. The contents of the first six chapters (of Part Two) kept playing in my mind during the day and nighttime that followed. I felt deeply moved by much of what I had read. I was especially touched by the intensely spiritual connection that accompanied a girl's “coming into womanhood” and the monthly life-creating-cycles that would follow. I became completely immersed in the initiation ritual that celebrated the girl-becoming-woman. I found myself wishing that I had learned to have a more spiritual, a more knowing perspective of my own body’s cycles ... for myself, and so that I could pass that knowing and those feelings on to my now grown daughters. (They will, of course, be able to perhaps widen their own perspectives, as they, in turn, read what I have read).

I am writing this part after completing Chapters 7 and 8 (Part Two). Those two chapters were about Dinah’s trip to Shechem (with Rachel), where she met her love ... of her brief but tumultuous and passionate time of love and lovemaking with Shalem .... and of her family’s reaction when they had learned of this, and of the terrible events that followed.

I loved the line, “I was a grave, looking to be filled with the peace of death.”

That despairing statement was followed by her recounting of the tragedies that befell her family ... told through the veil of “If Reuben had found me ...”.

I had to stop reading then ... (This was the conclusion of Part Two) ... to put it away for a little while. Much pain being felt. Dinah’s pain and agony are mine. Her pain ... so horrific ... quieting the pain of my own life.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 2-8 Section 2, Chapter 4, p. 135

A much lighter passage than the one shared in the previous posting, but one which brought a smile to my lips and reminded me a bit of sisters and sisters-in-law preparing the last of a holiday meal in grandmother's kitchen:

"I could see my mother's eyebrows raise at the Canaanite women's use of salt, and I noticed Adath stiffen at the sight of Bilhah adding a handful of fresh onions to her dried-goat stew. But all judgments were masked under thin smiles amid the rush to prepare the feast."
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 2-8 Section 2, Chapter 4, p. 135

Peppermill wrote:
A much lighter passage than the one shared in the previous posting, but one which brought a smile to my lips and reminded me a bit of sisters and sisters-in-law preparing the last of a holiday meal in grandmother's kitchen:

"I could see my mother's eyebrows raise at the Canaanite women's use of salt, and I noticed Adath stiffen at the sight of Bilhah adding a handful of fresh onions to her dried-goat stew. But all judgments were masked under thin smiles amid the rush to prepare the feast."

You arae so right! Too many women in the kitchen is not a good thing. Everyone thinks they make the best..........But that passage once again shows the connection of women thousands of years ago and today.

By the way, the passage that touched me was much earlier in part two, chapter 1 to be exact. And this is something my son and I would do when he was small. I believe that eyes are truly the windows to the soul and to look deeply into a childs eyes and have them look right back at you makes something of an everlasting connection.......ok here goes.

Dinah talking about Leah......."When I caught her watching one of her boys walking toward another mother's tent at nightfall, I would pull at her hand. Then she would lift me up so that our eyes could meet, and kiss me on one cheek and then on the other, and then on the tip of my nose. this always made me laugh, which would in turn always bring a warm smile to my mother's face. One of my great secrets was knowing I had the power to make her smile."
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, Section 2, Chapter 1

Dinah talking about Leah......."When I caught her watching one of her boys walking toward another mother's tent at nightfall, I would pull at her hand. Then she would lift me up so that our eyes could meet, and kiss me on one cheek and then on the other, and then on the tip of my nose. This always made me laugh, which would in turn always bring a warm smile to my mother's face. One of my great secrets was knowing I had the power to make her smile."

Absolutely lovely, thanks for calling the passage to our attention, Carmen.

Incidentally, my aunts and my grandmother had good times together in the kitchen, even if there was sometimes a pecking order -- newly marrieds always underwent a bit of a hazing ceremony. And cookie baking or lefse preparation or ... can be as much fun as the holiday itself.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, Section 2, Chapter 1

Lefse! That takes me back to my childhood and all my Norwegian neighbors. Lutefisk, anyone? Ufda!

Peppermill wrote:
Dinah talking about Leah......."When I caught her watching one of her boys walking toward another mother's tent at nightfall, I would pull at her hand. Then she would lift me up so that our eyes could meet, and kiss me on one cheek and then on the other, and then on the tip of my nose. This always made me laugh, which would in turn always bring a warm smile to my mother's face. One of my great secrets was knowing I had the power to make her smile."

Absolutely lovely, thanks for calling the passage to our attention, Carmen.

Incidentally, my aunts and my grandmother had good times together in the kitchen, even if there was sometimes a pecking order -- newly marrieds always underwent a bit of a hazing ceremony. And cookie baking or lefse preparation or ... can be as much fun as the holiday itself.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 2-8 - Chapter 4 p.136

In chapter 4, pg. 136, Anita offers us a terrific glimpse of how oral history was shared.
I feel as if I am sitting around the fire with Dinah listening and learning about her ancestors. As the holidays approach and families gather together this provides a great reminder that rather than having kids go to their electronic toys maybe we should share some stories of the past too.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Yes, there is nothing like having a good storyteller in the family! I can think of my own uncle and feel certain that every one of his children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews would be able to perfectly imitate his gestures and intonations starting a story--it stays with you!

And think of how exciting hearing a story would be in an oral culture like theirs! It would be like going to the movies and watching your grandmother on the screen!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I know that the oral storytelling must have been marvelous. What really tugged at me was the singing and the music... I'm a musician so music and singing really speaks to me.

I was fascinated by the songs and lyrics and music and dance! What a great heritage to hand down to your children. To be surrounded by the glorious sounds of their singing... what a feast for the ears.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 2-8 Deborahs vs Veelas

rkubie wrote:
Please use this thread to discuss the novel from chapter 3 through the end of chapter 8.

Just a silly aside and I don't mean any disrespect to Anita. As I am currently reading the 4th book in the Potter series I couldn't help but see a resemblence between Rebecca's Deborahs in chapter 7 and the Veelas in the Goblet of Fire. Maybe I shouldn't read more than one book at a time :smileyhappy:
Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Author
Anita_Diamant
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 2-8 Deborahs vs Veelas

Carmenere_lady wrote:

rkubie wrote:

Just a silly aside and I don't mean any disrespect to Anita. As I am currently reading the 4th book in the Potter series I couldn't help but see a resemblence between Rebecca's Deborahs in chapter 7 and the Veelas in the Goblet of Fire. Maybe I shouldn't read more than one book at a time :smileyhappy:

No disrespect taken. I am a big fan of Ms. Rowling -- one of the great plot-makers of our time. I loved the Veelas, too.

Anita
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 285 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: