Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Recommended Reading

More Great Books from Anita Diamant

The Last Days of Dogtown
The setting: early-19th-century Massachusetts. A motley array of stragglers are eking out a bare survival in a decrepit hamlet nicknamed Dogtown because of its scavenger packs of wild canines. These stubborn, weary castoffs live on society's edge -- as widows, witches, spinsters, whores, and freed slaves, they have no other choice. None of them know that Judy Rhines, the middle-aged maiden who lives among them, harbors a secret that could destroy this last refuge.

Living a Jewish Life
Jewish tradition is a gift and a challenge. Living a Jewish Life is your guide to the cultural and spiritual treasures of Judaism, explained in ways that address the choices posed by modern life. From hanging a mezuzah to celebrating a wedding, from lighting Sabbath candles to choosing a synagogue that's right for you and your family, you will find "why-to's" and "how-to's" in these pages, which are tuned to both the realities of the modern world and the timeless, grounding rhythms of Jewish tradition.

Pitching My Tent
Before The Red Tent, before Good Harbor, before and during six books on contemporary Jewish life, Anita Diamant was a columnist. Over the course of two decades, she wrote essays about friendship and family, work and religion, ultimately creating something of a public diary reflecting the shape and evolution of her life - as well as the trends of her generation.

Good Harbor
Kathleen Levine, a devoted wife, mother, and children's librarian, lives in the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts. When she is diagnosed with breast cancer, she is thrown into turmoil. But a once-in-a-lifetime friendship with new arrival Joyce Tabachnik -- facing a crisis of her own -- lends her strength to confront new struggles and old wounds.

Additional Recommended Reading

Away
Amy Bloom
Panoramic in scope, Away is the epic and intimate story of young Lillian Leyb, a dangerous innocent, an accidental heroine. When her family is destroyed in a Russian pogrom, Lillian comes to America alone, determined to make her way in a new land. When word comes that her daughter, Sophie, might still be alive, Lillian embarks on an odyssey that takes her from the world of the Yiddish theater on New York’s Lower East Side, to Seattle’s Jazz District, and up to Alaska, along the fabled Telegraph Trail toward Siberia. All of the qualities readers love in Amy Bloom’s work -- her humor and wit, her elegant and irreverent language, her unflinching understanding of passion and the human heart -- come together in the embrace of this brilliant novel.

The Fifth Mountain
Paulo Coelho
Written with the same masterful prose and clarity of vision that made The Alchemist an international phenomenon, The Fifth Mountain is Paulo Coelho's inspiring story of the Biblical prophet Elijah. In the ninth century B.C., the Phoenician princess Jezebel orders the execution of all the prophets who refuse to seek safety in the land of Zarephath, where he unexpectedly finds true love with a young widow. But this newfound rapture is to be cut short, and Elijah sees all of his hopes and dreams irrevocably erased as he is swept into a whirlwind of events that threatens his very existence. In what is truly a literary milestone, Coelho gives a quietly moving account of a man touched by the hand of God who must triumph over his frustrations in a soul-shattering trail of faith.

The Handmaid and the Carpenter
Elizabeth Berg
In this wonderful novel about love and trust, hope and belief, Elizabeth Berg transports us to Nazareth in biblical times to reimagine the events of the classic Christmas story. We see Mary as she first meets Joseph, a serious-minded young carpenter who is steadfastly devoted to the religious traditions of their people. The two become betrothed, but are soon faced with an unexpected pregnancy. Aided by a great and abiding love, they endure challenges to their relationship as well as threats to their lives as they come to terms with the mysterious circumstances surrounding the birth of their child, Jesus. For Mary, the pregnancy is a divine miracle and a privilege. For Joseph, it is an ongoing test not only of his courage but of his faith -- in his wife as well as in his God.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Recommended Reading

Jessica wrote:
More Great Books from Anita Diamant

The Last Days of Dogtown

The setting: early-19th-century Massachusetts. A motley array of stragglers are eking out a bare survival in a decrepit hamlet nicknamed Dogtown because of its scavenger packs of wild canines. These stubborn, weary castoffs live on society's edge -- as widows, witches, spinsters, whores, and freed slaves, they have no other choice. None of them know that Judy Rhines, the middle-aged maiden who lives among them, harbors a secret that could destroy this last refuge.

Living a Jewish Life

Jewish tradition is a gift and a challenge. Living a Jewish Life is your guide to the cultural and spiritual treasures of Judaism, explained in ways that address the choices posed by modern life. From hanging a mezuzah to celebrating a wedding, from lighting Sabbath candles to choosing a synagogue that's right for you and your family, you will find "why-to's" and "how-to's" in these pages, which are tuned to both the realities of the modern world and the timeless, grounding rhythms of Jewish tradition.

Pitching My Tent

Before The Red Tent, before Good Harbor, before and during six books on contemporary Jewish life, Anita Diamant was a columnist. Over the course of two decades, she wrote essays about friendship and family, work and religion, ultimately creating something of a public diary reflecting the shape and evolution of her life - as well as the trends of her generation.

Good Harbor

Kathleen Levine, a devoted wife, mother, and children's librarian, lives in the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts. When she is diagnosed with breast cancer, she is thrown into turmoil. But a once-in-a-lifetime friendship with new arrival Joyce Tabachnik -- facing a crisis of her own -- lends her strength to confront new struggles and old wounds.

Additional Recommended Reading

Away

Amy Bloom

Panoramic in scope, Away is the epic and intimate story of young Lillian Leyb, a dangerous innocent, an accidental heroine. When her family is destroyed in a Russian pogrom, Lillian comes to America alone, determined to make her way in a new land. When word comes that her daughter, Sophie, might still be alive, Lillian embarks on an odyssey that takes her from the world of the Yiddish theater on New York’s Lower East Side, to Seattle’s Jazz District, and up to Alaska, along the fabled Telegraph Trail toward Siberia. All of the qualities readers love in Amy Bloom’s work -- her humor and wit, her elegant and irreverent language, her unflinching understanding of passion and the human heart -- come together in the embrace of this brilliant novel.

The Fifth Mountain

Paulo Coelho

Written with the same masterful prose and clarity of vision that made The Alchemist an international phenomenon, The Fifth Mountain is Paulo Coelho's inspiring story of the Biblical prophet Elijah. In the ninth century B.C., the Phoenician princess Jezebel orders the execution of all the prophets who refuse to seek safety in the land of Zarephath, where he unexpectedly finds true love with a young widow. But this newfound rapture is to be cut short, and Elijah sees all of his hopes and dreams irrevocably erased as he is swept into a whirlwind of events that threatens his very existence. In what is truly a literary milestone, Coelho gives a quietly moving account of a man touched by the hand of God who must triumph over his frustrations in a soul-shattering trail of faith.

The Handmaid and the Carpenter

Elizabeth Berg

In this wonderful novel about love and trust, hope and belief, Elizabeth Berg transports us to Nazareth in biblical times to reimagine the events of the classic Christmas story. We see Mary as she first meets Joseph, a serious-minded young carpenter who is steadfastly devoted to the religious traditions of their people. The two become betrothed, but are soon faced with an unexpected pregnancy. Aided by a great and abiding love, they endure challenges to their relationship as well as threats to their lives as they come to terms with the mysterious circumstances surrounding the birth of their child, Jesus. For Mary, the pregnancy is a divine miracle and a privilege. For Joseph, it is an ongoing test not only of his courage but of his faith -- in his wife as well as in his God.

Oh! yes, the handmaid and the carpenter was so good. It is great to read at Christmas time.
Contributor
CrystalVan
0 Kudos

Years ago I read a book called :When God Was a Woman, by Merlin Stone. If you are interested in accessible anthropology that examines the transition from a polytheistic female-centered culture the male-dominated monotheistic cultures that developed, it's a very good read. I loved The Read Tent. It's been a few years since I read it, but I just purchased a copy again (after giving mine away), and plan to share it with my teenage daughter.
Crystal V.
Frequent Contributor
JesseBC
0 Kudos

I'd recommend Gerda Lerner. She's not as readable and her conclusions aren't as neatly-packaged, but her scholarship isn't as suspect as Merlin Stone's.

Stone really lost me when she started talking about the hostile monotheistic takeover by the Aryans. Which, if it were true, amounts to saying that it's possible to be a Nazi AND a Jew (huh??)

Besides, if you look through Stone's footnotes, she frequently cites herself.

CrystalVan wrote:
Years ago I read a book called :When God Was a Woman, by Merlin Stone. If you are interested in accessible anthropology that examines the transition from a polytheistic female-centered culture the male-dominated monotheistic cultures that developed, it's a very good read. I loved The Read Tent. It's been a few years since I read it, but I just purchased a copy again (after giving mine away), and plan to share it with my teenage daughter.

Users Online
Currently online:64 members 502 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: