Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Mental Illness

How did you "read" mental illness in the novel? The characters who suffer from it are not facing one particular hardship--no abuse or immediate catastrophe. Do we understand what Lorelei, Lauren, even Sarabeth, are facing? Are there any common threads?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Mental Illness

rkubie wrote:
How did you "read" mental illness in the novel? The characters who suffer from it are not facing one particular hardship--no abuse or immediate catastrophe. Do we understand what Lorelei, Lauren, even Sarabeth, are facing? Are there any common threads?

Isn't it mostly about not feeling good about yourself, in Lauren's case. All teenagers go thru this. I can remember going through this. You see a ugly dumb person in the mirror and when someone hurts your feelings the way the boy she liked did, that sumed it up for Lauren. She was so humialted, she couldn't face going back to school. Sometimes what is not important to us, is to a teenage girl. It is so much they have to go through to learn to control their pain that they might feel from other people.

For Sara Beth's mom, she had been mentally ill all of her life so I think I read correct. So that was no surprise And the fact th at Sarabeth didn't deal with her mom's sucicide and now she is having thoughts of unworthiness and guilt. I feel SaraBeth depended to much on Liz to get through life. When it came down to Liz not having a relationship with her anymore she couldn't really except not having her to lean on. It seemed to me SAra beth was not close to any of her other friends, they were more so casual than close.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Mental Illness

How do you guys feel about where Lauren is at the end of the novel? Are you still afraid for her? Are you hopeful?
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,284 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: