Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Songs Without Words

Ann's novel describes--gives voice and words--to issues that might well never be spoken of honestly and out loud among family and friends in our ordinary lives. We are allowed to observe and "hear" these characters in ways they cannot see and hear each other.

What are the "songs without words" of the title?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Songs Without Words

rkubie wrote:
Ann's novel describes--gives voice and words--to issues that might well never be spoken of honestly and out loud among family and friends in our ordinary lives. We are allowed to observe and "hear" these characters in ways they cannot see and hear each other.

What are the "songs without words" of the title?

I feel its describing things we cannot say or explain even to our best friend. And sometimes situations come abreast that makes us have to face those things we are not saying or feeling about one another.
New User
SunBeam
0 Kudos

There's a big difference between singing a song word for word and just humming a tune. So often we feel as though we know the all the words to our best friends' song & then day we find ourselves only able to recall one verse - the verse that is our favorite or the one we know the best. Being friends is more than just one verse and Ann Packer shows us this reality with Sarabeth and Liz. The women who think they are so in synch push away from one another because each is used to the friendship behaving a certain way - getting out of it what they want and most importantly what they expect. But when the dynamics of each woman changes, each is left with a new verse of their friend that they don't know the words to.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Is there a level on which Liz and Sarabeth's friendship had been "about" Sarabeth's mother's suicide?

Maybe this thought began in response to Lauren's flash of impatience with her mother mentioning Lorelei. I was surprised at how much it was still a part of Liz's perception of Sarabeth.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Is there a level on which Liz and Sarabeth's friendship had been "about" Sarabeth's mother's suicide?

Maybe this thought began in response to Lauren's flash of impatience with her mother mentioning Lorelei. I was surprised at how much it was still a part of Liz's perception of Sarabeth.

I really feel Liz latched on to SaraBeth and vice a versa the same with Sarabeth toward Liz. They seemed to be friends before but this presented a need for them to bond. Sarabeth needed Liz in her life to lean on. And Liz let her do this. Their friendship flournished after SaraBeth's mom died. But I feel it was more of a need concerning SaraBeth.
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 444 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: