Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Early Discussion: Bridget and Irving

What attracts Bridget to Irving Lefkowitz? Describe Irving's attitude toward children and his reaction to Bridget's unexpected news. Will this relationship work for Bridget? Why or why not?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through page 79. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after page 79, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

Re: Early Discussion: Bridget and Irving

Ms. Quindlen does an excellent job describing Irving in the chapter that starting on page 131. Irving is a tough guy. He has a tough job. But he has a soft spot for Bridget and treats her well. Irving is old fashioned. He still sticks by the norms of dating that have long since become outdated, or at least, rarely practiced. I think that Bridget finds these things charming.

I think Irving is perfect for Bridget, because her life seems to be too full for kids, and he doesn't want any. Bridget is 43 years old, and in a sense, if we see Leo the way she does, she has already done the whole kid thing.

Also, Irving is a breath of fresh air because, being that he doesn't fall all over himself over Meghan's celebrity (finds her actually quite annoying) he can make Bridget see things more logically, or at least from another side.
Author
aquindlen
0 Kudos

Irving seemed quite real and accessible to me right from the very beginning. And I've been taken by how many women have said to me, "wow! where can I meet that guy?" well, he's fictional. and he's taken.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Anna,

I'll confess, I'm one of those ones wanting Irving. A man who is not prone to emotional gnashing of teeth? In this day and age? Yay! :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

Re: Spoiler WARNING!

Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

Re: Spoiler WARNING!

SPOILER!

I am bit farther in the book and I can't believe Bridget is pregnant with twins! I guess I just didn't see it coming. And that leaves me to question her and Irvings relationship because he didn't take it very well, though that is what Bridget expected...it's still like, come on Irving! I think that Bridget is realizing she might need to do for herself. Raise a family, do what she has been teaching people to do for her life's work. It's time to practice what she preaches (so to speak).

Also, I think it is going to kind of wake her up. Let it be a posetive change from worrying so much about Meghan. Don't get me wrong, I am sure she is still going to worry about Meghan, but I think with her own kids in the picture, Bridget's perspective of what is important is going to change.

As far as I am, Bridget sounds like she wants the babies. She is telling everyone about it. So I figure, if Irving can't come to terms and live, accept it and hopefully be happy about it, Bridget is going to take it on alone.

Thoughts?
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 263 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: