Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Early Discussion: Evan and Meghan

Is Evan justified in leaving Meghan, or do you agree with Bridget, that there must have been another woman in the picture right from the start? What factors led to the failure of their relationship? How does Bridget deal with the breakup? How does Meghan deal with it?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through page 79. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after page 79, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

Re: Early Discussion: Evan and Meghan

This is one of those situations that I can see from both sides. In a way, Evan was justified in leaving Meghan because when he married her, he didn't ask to be the husband of a huge celebrity. When Meghan signed on for Rise and Shine, Evan lost all types of private life, and therefore much of the Meghan he had grown up with. In my opinion, we really only have one life to live, so if he really didn't want to spend the rest of his at dinner parties walking in his wife's shadow, he shouldn't have to.

On the flip side

He did pick a pretty inconvenient time to do it, which was just wrong. I mean, knowing the kind of celebrity she had become, he had to know that separating would just add fuel to the fire of the media and Meghan's mistake. So I thought that was terrible.

As far as I am, I do believe Evan that there is no other woman...but if I am wrong, please don't tell me. I guess I will find out before too long.
Author
aquindlen
0 Kudos

Re: Early Discussion: Evan and Meghan

I'm actually quite sympathetic to Evan's predicament. Often I hear the argument, well, women have had to become accustomed to living in the shadow of their husbands' reputation and stature. Why not the other way around? But the truth is that the revolution in the lives of women and men is still somewhat new, and I don't think turnabout in that regard yet suits the comfort level of many men. You can just imagine all the times Evan has heard himself referred to as "Mr. Fitzmaurice," or had people look right through him while they make a bee line for his wife. It's got to rankle. Add to that the fact that Meghan doesn't seem as though she would be terribly easy to live with, and you have a recipe for marital disaster.
Users Online
Currently online: 69 members 652 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: