Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Defining Success

What do you think defines a "successful" life? According to your definition, who is the most successful character in Rise and Shine? Does success equal happiness? How does that concept play out in the novel, and what do Bridget and Meghan come to understand by the end?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Defining Success

I think that success is relative. You can not define success as one state of being, or one type of life. Both Meghan and Bridget have been equally successful in life, but in different ways. I think the underlying theme in this novel is not to sweat the small stuff. All it really took for Meghan to hit the horse again, was for a major life changing event to play out. She had to think to herself, "Do I really want to hide the rest of my days in Jamaica, or do I want to use what I know to help my son and prove justice will still be served. Something like that really makes you think about what is important in life. And also, be thankful for the memories and people that surround us with whom we get to share that life with.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,071 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: