Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Leo

I'd love to discuss Leo with all of you- I think he's an extremely interesting character, but I'd rather not ask a pointed question - I'd like to hear your reflections on him at whatever interval of the book you choose and see where the discussion takes us.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Leo

Stephanie wrote:
I'd love to discuss Leo with all of you- I think he's an extremely interesting character, but I'd rather not ask a pointed question - I'd like to hear your reflections on him at whatever interval of the book you choose and see where the discussion takes us.

I think Leo is a complicated character and is the type of character that is going to be hard to know. And maybe he will have a few good characteritics to surprise us with.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I think Leo is a complicated character and is the type of character that is going to be hard to know. And maybe he will have a few good characteritics to surprise us with.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Ohhh!!! A mistake
Author
aquindlen
0 Kudos

Well, I may be the wrong person to weigh in here because I just flat-out love Leo. love love love him. I think he is such a thoughtful young man, with such integrity. Plus I don't mind saying that my two sons were in part the inspiration for Leo's character. the way he uses an honorific when he addresses the doormen--that says it all!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Anna,

I love Leo as well - he's a lot like what I'd like to see my son become. (Any parenting tips? :smileyhappy: )

I think the most endearing moment for me is when Leo tells Bridget that he won't speak "street" - he says it's lame and insulting for a rich white kid to act as though he's part of that culture. ( p. 147) I so agree with him, as I see many kids of all colors doing just that - trying to be part of a street culture they know nothing about, and would find horrifying if they actually encountered it.
Stephanie
Contributor
Bunit
0 Kudos

Oh, I love Leo. What a kind and thoughtful young man. Very mature for his age. He could of been portrayed as a spoiled brat, a product of his mother's fame, but he resisted and became his own man. Do you think he is somewhat like his father?
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

I agree with both of you. Leo is just a really good character in general. We see the depth of his character when, after being shot in a community, he is able to bounce back. Leo has a lot of his mother in him, but being that Bridget helped quite a bit to raise him, he has some of her in there too. A good word to describ Leo - genuine.
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

And he has a very old soul. Did anybody else see that?
Author
aquindlen
0 Kudos

In the movie version of Rise and Shine my daughter, who is an aspiring actress, has decided that Leo should be played by the young man who played the boy in Little Miss Sunshine for exactly that reason.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Anna,

Is there a movie on the horizon? That would be terrific.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

LaurenKondrat wrote:
And he has a very old soul. Did anybody else see that?

Yes, I loved that about Leo!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Anna,

Is there a movie on the horizon? That would be terrific.

Oh! yes! A movie! That is what this book needs! How wonderfully divine, this would be!
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 634 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: