Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Sisterhood

Rise and Shine centers on the unique bond of sisterhood -- potentially one of the most supportive, competitive, and difficult relationships in life. Describe Bridget and Meghan's relationship and how each woman views her sister, and herself. What roles do they each play? Does this portrait of sisterhood reflect your own relationship with a sibling, or perhaps with a close friend? Do you identify with one of the Fitzmaurice sisters more than the other?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
Contributor
kakhi
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Sisterhood

I just had one brother who was nine years older than me and I am sort of amazed by sister relationships. One of the reasons I found the book so interesting was because of the sister relationship in it. There is something unconditional about the relationship. However, it seems that Bridget was always there for Meghan and then Meghan wouldn't confide in Bridget. Theirs was a little like a parent child relationship. I did like to see Bridget at work and the importance of the work she did. She really made a difference in people's lives. In her work she was the person responsible for other people where Meghan was the responsible one taking care of her.
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

kakhi wrote:
I just had one brother who was nine years older than me and I am sort of amazed by sister relationships. One of the reasons I found the book so interesting was because of the sister relationship in it. There is something unconditional about the relationship. However, it seems that Bridget was always there for Meghan and then Meghan wouldn't confide in Bridget. Theirs was a little like a parent child relationship. I did like to see Bridget at work and the importance of the work she did. She really made a difference in people's lives. In her work she was the person responsible for other people where Meghan was the responsible one taking care of her.

I also grew up without a sister, just 2 brothers. I have a cousin who I consider "like a sister." The relationship is very special to me. I nkow it is also special to her, because she has no sister's. We both have many women friends, but that is quite different. My cousin and I have known each other since birth, we grew up together and spent a huge amount of family time together. With my cousin, I do not have issues of competitiveness. There is no need, we have different parents.

Regarding, Meghan and Bridget, I thought Meghan was pretty self-absorbed and Bridget was more generous to Meghan, as well as others.
Still when push came to shove, the sisters had a bond, that transcended other relationships.

Just my humble opionion,

Jamet
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

kakhi wrote:

I also grew up without a sister, just 2 brothers. I have a cousin who I consider "like a sister." The relationship is very special to me. I nkow it is also special to her, because she has no sister's. We both have many women friends, but that is quite different. My cousin and I have known each other since birth, we grew up together and spent a huge amount of family time together. With my cousin, I do not have issues of competitiveness. There is no need, we have different parents.

Regarding, Meghan and Bridget, I thought Meghan was pretty self-absorbed and Bridget was more generous to Meghan, as well as others.
Still when push came to shove, the sisters had a bond, that transcended other relationships.

Just my humble opionion,

Jamet

Yes, I think it is great to have a sister sister relationship and if you donot have another sister then a sister of your makin is fine like a cousin or best freind.
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

My sister and I are six years apart, two more than Bridget and Meghan. Because of our age difference, my sister and I are in totally different places in our lives. I just got married and she's just finishing high school. We used to fight all the time because she was always hanging on me, or getting in my business. But now, it seems like the older she gets, the more we have in common. We can be together and have things to talk about. I think a lot of our differences have a lot to do with what stage of life we are in. Now, that she is older and therefore more likely to listen to me, I can give her advice and we can go out to dinner and just have a really good time.

Meghan and Bridget's relationship has always been tight knit because for much of their lives, the only person each could count on was the other. That bond is what shaped how they communicate and how often. What I like most about this novel is that Bridget and Meghan, even though they have different kinds of lives, they both know that a sister is there, willing to do what she has to for the other, and because of that, meghan knows she can count on Bridget and vice versa.
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 699 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: