Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- UPDATES!

Kevin, I just wanted to tell you that I do like the changes you've made, both in color, and in arrangement of graphics. It feels friendly! Yes, the font was a little hard to read, at first, but that, as you've said, is being worked on in the process of upgrading the program. Us blind people need all the help we can get! :-)
Keep up the good work.
Kathy S.

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

Close observers will note that some darker text colors have started to filter out onto the site, including the subject lines on your messages and the text of that gray menu bar where you see "Reply," "Message Options" and such, and the write-a-message page.

The changes affect most areas of the site, but there are some holdouts that we won't be able to get to until later in the week.

For everyone who has offered constructive criticism and suggestions, thanks. We think it's great that the readers here are so involved. And we remind you that the Book Clubs continue to evolve based on the needs, interests and successes of the people here. If you like the conversation here, spread the word. There's always room for more!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Thank you for being responsive rather than defensive, Kevin. Programmers tend, IME, to be younger minds and eyes adjusted to working on a screen all day; the eyes of those of us who are old enough to be their grandparents are learning to deal with our physical disabilities, and need all the help we can get!

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

Close observers will note that some darker text colors have started to filter out onto the site, including the subject lines on your messages and the text of that gray menu bar where you see "Reply," "Message Options" and such, and the write-a-message page.

The changes affect most areas of the site, but there are some holdouts that we won't be able to get to until later in the week.

For everyone who has offered constructive criticism and suggestions, thanks. We think it's great that the readers here are so involved. And we remind you that the Book Clubs continue to evolve based on the needs, interests and successes of the people here. If you like the conversation here, spread the word. There's always room for more!

0 Kudos

Thanks for the welcome changes Kevin and for the quick responses. However, I still can't get anything if I click onto the tabs although I can on other B&N websites. Strange:smileysurprised:.

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: A second for the darker font--Changing text size in IE

foxycat wrote:
Another problem in IE is that you can usually change the text size with the "View--Text Size" in the menu bar. This site now refuses to change, although it did before.

There's nothing wrong with my eyes, but this is awful. I don't want elegant, I want practical.

Rochelle,

You can control font size somewhat in your Profile settings. Just click on "My Profile" above, and then on "Preferences." About a third of the way down the page, you'll see a setting for Font Size. You have quite a bit of freedom there. But be warned ... if you stray too far from the default settings, you're likley to encounter other problems, like signature lines that don't render all the way. Still, the option's there for the taking.

Good luck.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya, it might be because all the extra images, colors, etc. are slowing down the loading process. I can get to places, but it is taking longer.

Choisya wrote:
Thanks for the welcome changes Kevin and for the quick responses. However, I still can't get anything if I click onto the tabs although I can on other B&N websites. Strange:smileysurprised:.

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

Kevin,

Thank you. One think that I wanted to mention is that some folks may be able to make at least the font larger incrementally by pressing the ctrl key and the + key. The font will gets bigger every time you press it. When you select the ctrl key and the - key; the opposite takes place. I am not sure if that will assist anyone in the short term; but it has helped me deal with the lighter text and is easy to use in the interim. Appreciate your quick response and the fact that B&N is working on the issues raised. I for one like many elements of the new look.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Bentley you are brilliant! Your little trick works on everything and it is quick and easy! You have just opened up a whole new world for these tired old eyes! Your little trick has made this whole experience well worth it. Thanks.

bentley wrote:

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

Kevin,

Thank you. One think that I wanted to mention is that some folks may be able to make at least the font larger incrementally by pressing the ctrl key and the + key. The font will gets bigger every time you press it. When you select the ctrl key and the - key; the opposite takes place. I am not sure if that will assist anyone in the short term; but it has helped me deal with the lighter text and is easy to use in the interim. Appreciate your quick response and the fact that B&N is working on the issues raised. I for one like many elements of the new look.

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- Text size in browser

Bentley---that's only in Firefox. In IE it's View--Text Size on the menu bar.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
Bentley you are brilliant! Your little trick works on everything and it is quick and easy! You have just opened up a whole new world for these tired old eyes! Your little trick has made this whole experience well worth it. Thanks.

bentley wrote:

Its a quick fix for some depending on what browser people use but unfortunately not a real fix. Lots of changing back and forth that way for certain things. It helps while they fix it tho, hopefully. The best fix will be when we can get back the one size fits all reading with clarity that we had before. That will help everyone wherever they are and whatever they use. So here's to hoping still :smileywink:.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- Advert

[ Edited ]
Kevin/Jessica: I wonder if the rather large advertisement for the Jane Austen Bookclub film could be reduced in size or moved elsewhere. It is reducing the viewing area and means that we have to scroll from right to left to view/use the various tabs, which is a fag. This is particularly so if we increase our font size, as has been suggested here.

Message Edited by Choisya on 10-01-2007 03:46 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

The new, deeper colours of the new format are now much better and quite pleasing. My only complaint now is that the division of the threads and the left hand column (where our names etc are) are still defined with too pale a band of grey and therefore the overall appearance of the board is too white and bright. The Message posting page is also still too pale and bright overall and all the colours need deepening a little. It is particularly important to get that page right because it is where we 'compose' and therefore where we are likely to spend more time looking at the screen (unless we compose offline, of course, which I admit I sometimes do). But the colours of the new design and other graphics - the books, the coffee cup, all that sort of thing, are nicely done.

Thanks for getting the changes done so speedily Kevin & Co!
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: A second for the darker font--Changing text size in IE

[ Edited ]
I just tried Kevin's tip and it works, no matter which browser you use.
Of course, it affects only this site, which would make many of you happy. I was enlarging my text in Firefox with the old format anyway. I have to do that with many sites these days. And like other text enlargements, it does shove the ads around, but hey...

Kevin wrote:
You can control font size somewhat in your Profile settings. Just click on "My Profile" above, and then on "Preferences." About a third of the way down the page, you'll see a setting for Font Size. You have quite a bit of freedom there. But be warned ... if you stray too far from the default settings, you're likely to encounter other problems, like signature lines that don't render all the way. Still, the option's there for the taking.

Message edited by Admin for formatting only.

Message Edited by Kevin on 10-01-2007 03:11 PM

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

bentley wrote:

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

Kevin,

Nadine,

I am glad that it helped you..like I said..it may help "some just for the interim" even though it may not be universal. It helps me and doesn't affect my signature lines, etc. Using this same concept, I believe that the programmers should be able to come up with something for this site...which is a sight/reading intensive url. I am sure that they are working on it; they certainly have been reminded of the need. Additionally, when you use Kevin's tip, other things change as well; Kevin rightly indicated that to everyone.

The "very temporary fix" that I shared is something to help save people's eyes in the "very short term". And I am so glad that it helped you Nadine and it worked for you. This "quick fix" is what I have been using for the short term.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- Text size in browser

foxycat wrote:
Bentley---that's only in Firefox. In IE it's View--Text Size on the menu bar.

I only use Internet Explorer; not using Foxfire. You can also do View - text size if you like but I like the versatility/ease of the ctrl/+ better. I want to see the gradient change.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Done??!!! PLEASE dont tell me this all the changes there will be! I still cant do this light tan and I did enlarge the font but then where your type, where you read the drop down box for books and pms are soooo tiny. I so so so, miss the universal size and white where you read and type. All the goodies on the side can be any color as long as the main thing are readable. and with this white division of rows and columns, its like none at all. I am hoping big time there are more corrections to come. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:
Additionally, when you use Kevin's tip, other things change as well; Kevin rightly indicated that to everyone.

The "very temporary fix" that I shared is something to help save people's eyes in the "very short term". And I am so glad that it helped you Nadine and it worked for you. This "quick fix" is what I have been using for the short term.

Bentley

Bentley, thank you for really emphasizing this point and I agree with you 100& Its a "short term fix".
Vivian
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I didn't mean 'done' in the final sense Vivico - I think we use the word in a different sense in the UK. I just meant the changes that had been made so far. I agree there is still too much 'brightness' overall and that the divisions are not sufficiently delineated. The drop down menu for the books has always been very small so there has been no change there.

vivico1 wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Done??!!! PLEASE dont tell me this all the changes there will be! I still cant do this light tan and I did enlarge the font but then where your type, where you read the drop down box for books and pms are soooo tiny. I so so so, miss the universal size and white where you read and type. All the goodies on the side can be any color as long as the main thing are readable. and with this white division of rows and columns, its like none at all. I am hoping big time there are more corrections to come. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- Bentley's "short term fix"

[ Edited ]
I don't personally consider changing the font size myself a "short-term fix." I've been enlarging the text size on this site since I joined in June, and I don't have serious visual problems. I don't especially care if larger text crowds out the ads. While it's true that we'd all like the site redesigned, there are many sites on which I have to enlarge the text for myself. Amusingly, I went to a very elegant site about typography last month, and the print was minuscule, about a size 4 or 6 :smileyvery-happy:. Some sites have blue text on black or yellow on white, and poorly designed sites are as common as poorly designed houses.

One last item from me, Kevin. Why do we still have to enter HTML manually? It's really primitive, and many of us can't do it or can't get beyond bold and italic.

As we all now have several immediate solutions, we can get on with our discussions while waiting for BN's wise site designers to see the error of their ways. Many of our regulars are sadly missing from the Lit by Women group, where we've begun "The House of Mirth."

Message Edited by foxycat on 10-02-2007 03:56 AM

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:
I don't personally consider changing the font size myself a "short-term fix." I've been enlarging the text size on this site since I joined in June, and I don't have serious visual problems. I don't especially care if larger text crowds out the ads. While it's true that we'd all like the site redesigned, there are many sites on which I have to enlarge the text for myself. Amusingly, I went to a very elegant site about typography last month, and the print was minuscule, about a size 4 or 6 :smileyvery-happy:. Some sites have blue text on black or yellow on white, and poorly designed sites are as common as poorly designed houses.

One last item from me, Kevin. Why do we still have to enter HTML manually? It's really primitive, and many of us can't do it or can't get beyond bold and italic.

As we all now have several immediate solutions, we can get on with our discussions while waiting for BN's wise site designers to see the error of their ways. Many of our regulars are sadly missing from the Lit by Women group, where we've begun "The House of Mirth."

Message Edited by foxycat on 10-02-2007 03:56 AM

FoxyCat...I suggested a short term fix for some; while the web programmers sort things out (which they are doing) - I don't own it; but just wanted to assist those who might find it beneficial this month while the programmers do their thing.

If you change the font size on a regular basis..and yes alot of folks do that with computer aids and also like you have done, that is terrific because it helps you; I agree that there are a great many sites with poor design. My original texts identify some of the issues (some of which have been fixed and some have not been to date). Nobody said that it should be a permanent thing..(permanent or short-term - it doesn't matter as long as someone is assisted), and I am hoping that B&N develops the capability to do it with a click of an icon.

The site is definately more attractive and the other "very important and useful" suggestions that have been made are certainly being addressed. I am sure that the regulars will be back when this is sorted out and things take time.

Anyways, I think everyone at B&N knows already smile
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:

Sadly, I'm one of those missing from the House of Mirth discussion. The site is still much more stressful to my eyes than it was before the new and improved version was unveiled. It has significantly cut back on the time I spend here while I'm waiting (hoping) for some long term fix.

I miss the discussions and people in the groups I've had to drop out of, but I can't afford to take the amount of aspirin I would need to to keep the painful headaches I get from using the site for more than about 10 or 15 minutes at a time under control.