Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Review

BarbaraN wrote:

It is still "light" reading! I like the redesign of the whole B&N site. They have put in some very nice innovations. But they should really darken the type on everything. Reading information on the books in the "store" is awfully difficult as well, at least on my computer. I'm not a techie, but I would think it would be easier to just change the style for the whole site to a darker font then trying to change just the book club. But maybe it isn't a problem to other people. I'm not sure if it is the light type or the glare from the bright background. Light type on a color back ground comes through better. Also, since I am working on a laptop, I have found that the type looks darker and the background has less glare if I tilt my screen back about 45 degrees. I have to push it back far enough so the green side bars turn almost black. So it may be just my problem.

Barbara,its not just you. And I cant tilt my PC lol. Its just flat too light and not as sharp print anywhere for anyone. I raised my font size but like everyone else am having to do "litte tricks or adjustments" constantly. The bigger font helps with what is there already to read but then every time I want to post something or write a pm, then I have to up the size of my screen for that print because its extremely tiny, not the size of the font for the rest of the stuff already typed. So I go up and down up and down. Have to go down once I post so the page isnt huge and have to go down then in pm's or you dont even see the tabs to get to any other part of it. very depression, for homebound people, books and these clubs can be your source or entertainment and socializing and where you spend your money.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs

Everyman wrote:
Would complaints to the "powers that be" at BN actually be helpful to them rather than being seen as criticism of them to their bosses?

Why would it be criticism of Kevin and/or Jessica - they are not the designers of the new format, so we could be seen to be backing them up in their endeavours to put things right.

Everyman wrote:
Those of you who live in the US, especially in New York, where the B&N Head Office is, might be able to speed improvements up by making a complaint by telephone. Their Customer Service Centre is at 1-800-THE BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer for the time being to work through Kevin, Jessica, et. al. rather than go around them or over their heads. While the incremental changes we have seen have only partially alleviated the problem, particularly the problem of excessive brightness and still an inadequate contrast between text and background in many places, still I believe that they are making improvements as then can, and I am willing to give them a bit more time.

But if no additional improvements show up in the next week or two, it may be time to ask them directly what is going on and what we can expect, and if the answers are not satisfactory (perhaps for reasons not their own fault such as their not being provided the necessary resources), then I agree it may well be time to complain more vigorously.

In the meantime, I invite Kevin, Jessica, et. al. to let us know if there are ways we can be proactive in helping move forward the necessary changes to return the Book Clubs to the much more user-friendly environment it was before the recent upheaval. Would complaints to the "powers that be" at BN actually be helpful to them rather than being seen as criticism of them to their bosses?

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I will have to look at The Review on another B&N webiste when I come off this one because none of the tabs now work for me here, for some unknown reason (thought Kevin has said that they should)!

Bill_T wrote:

Everyman wrote:
BTW, has anybody happened to click on the B&N Review link at the top of the page? I just did, just out of curiosity, and it looks like something that will be worth going to look at from time to time. I've never seen the Review before, don't know whether it was always there but not obvious, or whether it's something new.

It's very new -- 3 days old today! I hope you'll all spend a little time exploring the review and seeing what we have to offer...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bn-review/

(And if anyone is wondering, it's what I've been spending my time on these days. But as you can see, I do check back in when I can to see what you all are talking about.)

Message Edited by Choisya on 10-04-2007 06:05 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I will have to look at The Review on another B&N webiste when I come off this one because none of the tabs now work for me here, for some unknown reason (thought Kevin has said that they should)!

Bill_T wrote:

It's very new -- 3 days old today! I hope you'll all spend a little time exploring the review and seeing what we have to offer...

(And if anyone is wondering, it's what I've been spending my time on these days. But as you can see, I do check back in when I can to see what you all are talking about.)

Choisya, you really need to chill a bit and be patient. I don't like this new look either, its awfully hard to work with and read. But girl you are going to get your blood pressure up by quoting whats acceptable and not on some link, yelling at the editors and mods (I know you don't use caps, but you use the words) and shouting orders and threats never got anyone motivated to do anything. We know you are frustrated, so am I, so are most of us, but this isn't the way to go. You cant just shout what you want or "heads will roll". That was out of line,like you could get at anyone's head or got the power to bring down a single person? All we can do is explain why this is so frustrating to us, express what would help and trust they are working on it. If not, they already know what is at risk, not their head, but their business. Have you tried shopping for other online bookclubs yet? Chill a bit girl and lets see what happens.If nothing,I will leave too, but your getting over the top on some of these now Choisya. I say that as one club member to another, not to insult but to get across to you, how your coming across and you know I know this from before.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- UPDATES!

bentley wrote:

Kevin wrote:
A Sunday update ...

Close observers will note that some darker text colors have started to filter out onto the site, including the subject lines on your messages and the text of that gray menu bar where you see "Reply," "Message Options" and such, and the write-a-message page.

The changes affect most areas of the site, but there are some holdouts that we won't be able to get to until later in the week.

For everyone who has offered constructive criticism and suggestions, thanks. We think it's great that the readers here are so involved. And we remind you that the Book Clubs continue to evolve based on the needs, interests and successes of the people here. If you like the conversation here, spread the word. There's always room for more!

Kevin,

Thank you. One think that I wanted to mention is that some folks may be able to make at least the font larger incrementally by pressing the ctrl key and the + key. The font will gets bigger every time you press it. When you select the ctrl key and the - key; the opposite takes place. I am not sure if that will assist anyone in the short term; but it has helped me deal with the lighter text and is easy to use in the interim. Appreciate your quick response and the fact that B&N is working on the issues raised. I for one like many elements of the new look.

Awesome, it works! Thanks! :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- Text size in browser

bentley wrote:

foxycat wrote:
Bentley---that's only in Firefox. In IE it's View--Text Size on the menu bar.

I only use Internet Explorer; not using Foxfire. You can also do View - text size if you like but I like the versatility/ease of the ctrl/+ better. I want to see the gradient change.

I like using the "speed controls" too Bentley. Guess that's an old habit from when I worked with dos commands. :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

My blood pressure is fine Vivico:smileyhappy:. I express things my way, you express things your way. I have not shouted or yelled, I have expressed an opinion, as I have every right to do. IMO this web design was a mistake that should not have been made by an international business and someone is culpable. I have shouted no orders or threats, I have just stated what I see to be the case as someone who has been involved in such things in my working life (Peppermill put it another way, perhaps more tactfully). Nor have referred to any Administrators, Editors or Moderators here, my complaints have been directed towards the web designers who made the mistake and who, IMO, deserve admonishment. As Peppermill pointed out, the very least that could have been done was to have run the old system in tandem with this one until things were sorted out - something that many businesses do when they change web designs.

Jessica last posted on the 3rd, hopefully we will have some more news shortly. In the meantime, I appreciate the changes which have been made, which, together with making my fonts larger and turning my brightness control down very low, have enabled me (and I hope others) to view the boards without too much distress. I am happy with this Book Club insofar as the books I have chosen to read and the people I am reading with and have no desire to look for another one at present.

vivico1 wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Bill_T wrote:

Choisya, you really need to chill a bit and be patient. I don't like this new look either, its awfully hard to work with and read. But girl you are going to get your blood pressure up by quoting whats acceptable and not on some link, yelling at the editors and mods (I know you don't use caps, but you use the words) and shouting orders and threats never got anyone motivated to do anything. We know you are frustrated, so am I, so are most of us, but this isn't the way to go. You cant just shout what you want or "heads will roll". That was out of line,like you could get at anyone's head or got the power to bring down a single person? All we can do is explain why this is so frustrating to us, express what would help and trust they are working on it. If not, they already know what is at risk, not their head, but their business. Have you tried shopping for other online bookclubs yet? Chill a bit girl and lets see what happens.If nothing,I will leave too, but your getting over the top on some of these now Choisya. I say that as one club member to another, not to insult but to get across to you, how your coming across and you know I know this from before.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Jessica?
any more news on changes on the fonts or anything in here to help us read easier? I know other changes are going on and can see them, but still needing that change so badly! I upped my font size to help but then I have to raise this message page or pm pages up and down up and down, to see my type big enough when I type, or the club lists and stuff like that. Then I have to take it down again to go back to the page I am reading. It sure has cut down my club time. I appreciated that changes are being made for, I guess, a purpose to help, but they dont help if you cant read them or then become inconvenient. Havent seen a post for about a week about help on this huge problem, so thought I would ask if theres any update?? Thanks.

Oh yes and am I the only one that when I raise the club font big enough to read, its actually green on tan except for the numbers, not black on tan? Thats what makes it blurry to me too! The numbers are at least some clearer and darker and look like a real black. Is that what it is Jessica? That its a darker tan or a green on tan instead of black?

Message Edited by vivico1 on 10-08-2007 08:36 AM
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I think we're ready to make a few more upgrades to the book clubs site. Kevin is out today, but hopefully we can get the final word by mid-week. (Don't quote me on that -- it's just an estimation.)

Sorry for all the frustration! Again, we just can't make changes independent of the rest of the BN.com site and certain technology features...

Thanks for your patience,

Jessica
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

A New Look for Book Clubs -- further updates

Jessica wrote: Hi All, I think we're ready to make a few more upgrades to the book clubs site. Kevin is out today, but hopefully we can get the final word by mid-week. (Don't quote me on that -- it's just an estimation.) Sorry for all the frustration! Again, we just can't make changes independent of the rest of the BN.com site and certain technology features... Thanks for your patience, Jessica

Well, so much for mid-week! Some changes were pushed through today...

Previously, we changed to darker fonts across the board. (The default font sizes are the same as they were before the redesign.)

Today, you'll see a darker gray subject bar (greater contrast between the messages), with a dark green text.

Jessica
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs -- further updates

Those are very helpful changes indeed Jessica because they help to break up the brightness which has been causing a lot of problems. Thanks to all concerned.

Jessica wrote:

Jessica wrote: Hi All, I think we're ready to make a few more upgrades to the book clubs site. Kevin is out today, but hopefully we can get the final word by mid-week. (Don't quote me on that -- it's just an estimation.) Sorry for all the frustration! Again, we just can't make changes independent of the rest of the BN.com site and certain technology features... Thanks for your patience, Jessica

Well, so much for mid-week! Some changes were pushed through today...

Previously, we changed to darker fonts across the board. (The default font sizes are the same as they were before the redesign.)

Today, you'll see a darker gray subject bar (greater contrast between the messages), with a dark green text.

Jessica

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Jessica: Although everything else is now fine I probably ought to mention that none of the following 'tabs' work for me:-

B&N Review/B&N Media/Stores & Events/Book Clubs

Books/DVDs/Music/Textbooks/Toys, Office & more
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Jessica: Although everything else is now fine I probably ought to mention that none of the following 'tabs' work for me:-

Hmm. They're working just fine over here. Maybe try closing the window and opening it again, or restarting your computer?
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

And a new look for Books. Jessica, you posted this link in Love in the Time of Cholera as an an other example of Magical Realism. Wow! you can read excerpts from the book--and it is fast and like really flipping pages of the book.

Like Water for Chocolate
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780385420174

Very nice addition to the B&N site.

Barbara
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Barbara and Jessica, thank you for pointing that out! The chance to leaf through the books is exactly what I've been hoping for. Good move, B&N!

BarbaraN wrote:
And a new look for Books. Jessica, you posted this link in Love in the Time of Cholera as an an other example of Magical Realism. Wow! you can read excerpts from the book--and it is fast and like really flipping pages of the book.

Like Water for Chocolate
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780385420174

Barbara

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I've tried all ways Laurel but they still do not work:smileysad:.

Jessica wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Hmm. They're working just fine over here. Maybe try closing the window and opening it again, or restarting your computer?

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Yes, a really excellent facility. Kudos to whoever:smileyhappy:.

Laurel wrote:
Barbara and Jessica, thank you for pointing that out! The chance to leaf through the books is exactly what I've been hoping for. Good move, B&N!

BarbaraN wrote:

Like Water for Chocolate

Barbara

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Has anyone noticed that the tan dividers between the boxes have turned to gray during the week? But the gray text still has to be blown up.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs : Bentley, Everyman??

I was wondering whether our most visually challenged readers, Bentley and Everyman, are now finding the boards better? I find there is a considerable improvement although I think the fonts could still be a little darker, as foxycat suggests. They are OK in the Report Abuse section (which I just looked at) but still pale for posting and posts, and when you type a PM. The darker grey areas are now breaking up the page so that the overall brightness has diminished, which was another problem everyone reported. If the same font colour as in the Report Abuse section could be used overall, I think everything would be OK. Do others agree?

Thanks to all concerned for the improvements.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs : Bentley, Everyman??

[ Edited ]

Choisya wrote:
I was wondering whether our most visually challenged readers, Bentley and Everyman, are now finding the boards better? I find there is a considerable improvement although I think the fonts could still be a little darker, as foxycat suggests. They are OK in the Report Abuse section (which I just looked at) but still pale for posting and posts, and when you type a PM. The darker grey areas are now breaking up the page so that the overall brightness has diminished, which was another problem everyone reported. If the same font colour as in the Report Abuse section could be used overall, I think everything would be OK. Do others agree?

Thanks to all concerned for the improvements.

Choisya, for one I absolutely agree with you. First I had to find the report abuse place, never have before lol. But honest B&N folks, I am trying really hard to get used to the new stuff, the lighter colors. and the gray vs light tan on the sides helps BUT, I am still having such a hard time reading things :smileysad: . This green print instead of black, which I guess is what the small type is too? Is just so fuzzy to me compared to a crisp dark black. especially on this muted white even that we write on, or the tan it shows up on when you first read the new ones. Look how much better and crisper the color is of the type on the gray than on this white and light tan areas. I have changed my monitor contrasts and brightness so much too that now I cant get back to what I had before and all my other websites are either off color now or too backgrounds messed up trying to make the this print darker :smileysad: I really really am trying to get used to the look. Some of the new features are nice but still, they are very secondary to me if I cant read them when I get to them. My screen just has a grayish hue over all of it now in here,tan or gray or white writing area all the time now. The dark green or some not so dark green type is not as clean and crisp to read on it and so its still so hard to read but for one or two posts at a time. There is so little activity in the author club I am in this month, I just dont know whats wrong, if its this problem or what. The gray around the edges is better than the light tan, see how the blue type stands out on it or even the black, but the green is killing me with fuzziness. This is actually becoming a bit depressing to me, I feel like someone took a place of gathering for me where I never felt handicapped before and has now made me feel that way and left out because a lot may be ok with it or just decide like when the changes last Oct happened, this is it and nothing we can do about it anyway so arent saying anymore. :smileysad:

I just checked after posting this and here is what I mean, I can read over in the gray, the frequent contributor and and stuff in written under my name ok, but the green subject heading is just playing fuzzy and where we type and read is too. very very depressing now.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 10-10-2007 06:59 PM
Vivian