Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs : Submitted Posts and Posting Page

[ Edited ]

Everyman wrote:
I found the bolded type on white difficult to read

While I appreciate Bentley's concern, I too found the bolded type more difficult to read, given that I have the font ramped up already.

I did not know you had it ramped up..ramped up....it changes to bold anyways. Good to know since I was doing it to help you. Maybe just giving us choices for the size of the font and gradient of boldness would help as suggested previously. People can adjust then to their preference and quality of sight, etc.

Hope things are improving for you Everyman...you never know what challenges your sight can cause until problems arise out of the blue.

Also, possibly some usability testing with consumers and groups who are familiar with readability and vision issues would help B&N.

Message Edited by bentley on 10-13-2007 03:36 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Another possible solution for some might be to highlight the text and then read it. Then you get white on a darker blue. Strange way of reading a screen, I know, but if it works for you, why not.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

That actually does help as a break from the normal -- I wouldn't want to read all the posts that way, but every two or three it would be good. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nadine wrote:
Another possible solution for some might be to highlight the text and then read it. Then you get white on a darker blue. Strange way of reading a screen, I know, but if it works for you, why not.

0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs

Just to add my two cents again after some elapsed time -- I am still finding this new format more uncomfortable than the previous.

Peppermill
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:
Just to add my two cents again after some elapsed time -- I am still finding this new format more uncomfortable than the previous.

Peppermill

Pepper, I also find it harder to read with this gray background. I had to open my font size up to 11, to be able to read more comfortably. The posts shades: read and unread, are too close in tones. And the advertisement on the right edge? It's too much for the width of field, causing unnecessary shifting of the text box, which should be a separate entity, and kept tightly fixed.

I like the beige, creams, and dark browns, or how it was first introduced....but now mixed with this ugly backgroud,,,,, and gray! it's yuck! I'm going blind typing this! My two and a half cents!

Kathy S.
KathyS
0 Kudos

P.S. on gray tones!

If you don't know what gray tones do to your eyes, let me translate this for you. Gray is a combination/mix of the primary colors: red, blue, and yellow. When gray is used as a background, or anywhere near it, this color absorbs whatever color is put on top of it, or next to it, as in fonts, causing these fonts to blend/blur/disappear within the backgrounds. Making it difficult to read. I would suggest going back to white as a background. And stay away from gray!

Kathy S.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I don't know whether there has been a change in the past few days or whether my eyes have adapted, but the main text seems darker and easier to read now, and I see that what I am typing right now is even a different font family. Thanks!
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
I don't know whether there has been a change in the past few days or whether my eyes have adapted, but the main text seems darker and easier to read now, and I see that what I am typing right now is even a different font family. Thanks!

It does look that way to me too. I wish they would employ the same changes in the message body/message subject sections as well. The text is really light there.

It may be our imagination but it does seem to be crisper. If it isn't our imagination, thank you :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Bentley
Reader
comodore
0 Kudos

I really am having a hard time following...the Threads do not come up in any order...like Date...they Jump all over the month ???..and A heck of time finding my club again after returning to the B&N site......
H E L P...thanks bill
Bill is comodore
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The threads within a particular group are arranged according to most recent posting - a new post will move the thread to the top of the list. Threads that are "pinned" or "floated" will always remain at the top of the first page.

What club are you looking for? The groups are arranged into general categories ("talk with authors", "talk about books", etc.)

comodore wrote:
I really am having a hard time following...the Threads do not come up in any order...like Date...they Jump all over the month ???..and A heck of time finding my club again after returning to the B&N site......
H E L P...thanks bill

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

comodore wrote:
H E L P...thanks bill

Bill, sorry you are having so much trouble. It is a bit of a challenge, at first. Go into your personal profile, and check your preferences. You can change the look, in how you want to read your pages. You, alone, will view these changes. Also, for each club you want to have easy access to - the easiest, and fastest way, is to put them into your "bookmarks". They will show up on your homepage, once you sign in - or have the option to click your dashboard at the top of any of these pages, and you can get access to your book club preferences there. Plus it will show you if new posts come in, and how many posts have been made. Your friends' list will be there too. Just click on your club, and you will go directly to it.

Also, make sure you float your catagory/subject folders (yellow, or red on the far left), to the top of the page, for easy reading on each of your clubs. Just move your cursor over the little arrow on the right side of the page, and you can click on that header to float it up, where it stays, or take it out of the top section of the page completely.

I hope this helps. You can also ask any of the editors, or administrators, for help. They probably could say it better than I have. :smileyhappy: There is a HELP section, also.

Good luck!

Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

comodore wrote: I really am having a hard time following...the Threads do not come up in any order...like Date...they Jump all over the month ???..and A heck of time finding my club again after returning to the B&N site......
H E L P...thanks bill

Hi Bill,

Melissa W. is right -- whenever someone opens a thread and replies, that thread jumps to the top of the list.

Just to note, when a thread has replies in it, the number in the "New" column changes. Click that number, and you'll be taken to the first message that *you* haven't read yet.

(Also, the names of the threads become bold when there are new messages, and unbold once you've read them.)

And here's a handy link to all the current book clubs: Browse All Book Clubs

Hope this helps!

Jessica
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Melissa W. is right -- whenever someone opens a thread and replies, that thread jumps to the top of the list.

One and maybe two clarifications are in order.

First, it doesn't jump to the top of the page, but to the top of the lower section. The top section of each forum, sometimes only a single thread, sometimes a dozen or more, are "stickies" which always float to the top of the forum page. Then below that are the non-sticky threads, in which new threads do float to the top.

Second, I'm not sure what the defaults for new users are at this point, but I believe that the user options can be set up either to have the first post you see on a thread to be the first post even if months old, or to have the first post be the first unread post. If the latter option isn't selected in your profile, it is very beneficial to switch to it.
0 Kudos

I agree ! This is progress? BNU was the greatest. This is an example of Peter's principle at its best.Remember that? In this case -change to the level of incompetance."
Reader
comodore
0 Kudos

excuse me for not responding sooner...I have not had time to read any of the HELP posts except at a glance but you all have been exceptional in your help it looks like..

I am working with a dear friend who has just diagnosed with cancer and he going fast so I have not been to the B & N site for a few days...bear with me and I shall read all your posts...

Thanks again Bill is comodore...
Bill is comodore
Reader
Nancy58
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Hello everyone,

As I'm sure you notice, we have a new design for our book clubs. But most importantly, there are also some new navigational features we want to make sure you find.

On the new book club home page, Register and Sign In are now on the left side, as are your lists of private
messages and friends (if you have set them to display), and statistics.

Announcements and Important Links are now at the top of the category pages, instead of to the right.

There is no visible breadcrumb, but if you click on the title of the page -- just below the image in the new headers -- you'll be taken back
one level in the breadcrumb trail.

You'll see that we've recategorized a just bit, dividing Books & Authors into Talk with Authors and Talk about Books. In
Talk with Authors, you
can join scheduled discussions with our featured authors. In Talk about Books,
you can join moderated discussions of popular book club titles (new and old), including the classics.

Genres & Ideas remains the same -- a place to showcase the many
"permanent" or ongoing discussions that have become increasingly popular over the months.

And as noted before, don't forget that the schedule of upcoming book clubs is now a posted in this new Announcements board.

Thanks for your patience during this change. And remember -- you can always find the full lineup on our All Book Clubs page, or ask an editor or moderator for help.

Jessica

Jessica,

I signed up for the special book club that will preview new books before they are released. Sorry I can't remember the name of the book club. Will notification and sign up for those "special" occurances appear on this Announcments board and I should just keep watching for another one to appear? I understand it is a firt come first serve thing that's why I want to make sure I am watching in the correct spot so i won't miss the opportunity.

Thank you
nldport
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Nancy58 wrote: Jessica, I signed up for the special book club that will preview new books before they are released. Sorry I can't remember the name of the book club. Will notification and sign up for those "special" occurances appear on this Announcments board and I should just keep watching for another one to appear? I understand it is a firt come first serve thing that's why I want to make sure I am watching in the correct spot so i won't miss the opportunity. Thank you, nldport

Hi Nancy,

That's the First Look Book Club. Read more about it here. We haven't announced the next one yet. (The first one was Monsters of Templeton.) But when we do, you'll definitely hear about it here in Announcements. That will be the time to submit your contact info for enrollment in the next First Look book club.

Thanks!
Nadine
0 Kudos

I think Connecticut Yankee has lost "Message Option/Return to Thread" Bar at the top and bottom of the message list of "Off Topic Cafe." It may be that this was a newly created listing and took place after "Message" was changed to "Thread" on that bar. Don't know.