Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

A New Look for Book Clubs

Hello everyone,

As I'm sure you notice, we have a new design for our book clubs. But most importantly, there are also some new navigational features we want to make sure you find.

On the new book club home page, Register and Sign In are now on the left side, as are your lists of private messages and friends (if you have set them to display), and statistics.

Announcements and Important Links are now at the top of the category pages, instead of to the right.

There is no visible breadcrumb, but if you click on the title of the page -- just below the image in the new headers -- you'll be taken back one level in the breadcrumb trail.

You'll see that we've recategorized a just bit, dividing Books & Authors into Talk with Authors and Talk about Books. In Talk with Authors, you can join scheduled discussions with our featured authors. In Talk about Books, you can join moderated discussions of popular book club titles (new and old), including the classics.

Genres & Ideas remains the same -- a place to showcase the many "permanent" or ongoing discussions that have become increasingly popular over the months.

And as noted before, don't forget that the schedule of upcoming book clubs is now a posted in this new Announcements board.

Thanks for your patience during this change. And remember -- you can always find the full lineup on our All Book Clubs page, or ask an editor or moderator for help.

Jessica

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs

Can you please, please, please go back to the standard dark font instead of this very light font that people with weak eyes find a GREAT strain to read? Not to mention the brown-on-brown menus.

i can't read this new format for more than about ten minutes without suffering serious eye strain.

Please give some consideration to your older users with weakening eyes. We like to be active here, but need functionality more than prettiness.
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

A second for the darker font

It's not just older eyes having problems with the font color. The light font is starting to bother my eyes as well.

Everyman wrote:
Can you please, please, please go back to the standard dark font instead of this very light font that people with weak eyes find a GREAT strain to read? Not to mention the brown-on-brown menus.

i can't read this new format for more than about ten minutes without suffering serious eye strain.

Please give some consideration to your older users with weakening eyes. We like to be active here, but need functionality more than prettiness.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: A second for the darker font

I can NOT read gray on a tan background. Whatever were they thinking when they did this? Also, the navigation links are missing from the top of each thread. Thirdly, and worst, the site no longer works with Firefox. The links produce javascript errors.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

You can usually change your print to black on white in Firefox and IE, in the Options. However, it doesn't seem to be working on this site in IE. I can do it in Firefox, but this site no longer functions in Firefox. What a mess they made!

This site is now a horse designed by a committee.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:
You can usually change your print to black on white in Firefox and IE, in the Options. However, it doesn't seem to be working on this site in IE. I can do it in Firefox, but this site no longer functions in Firefox. What a mess they made!

Rochelle, I can still get it on my firefox but these colors are really really had with so little contrast! I keep having to even look at main pages over and over to find the threads I used to easily find. You said on firefox you could change print to black on white? on options? can you tell me how you do that and I can see if it works in here. thanks.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:
It's not just older eyes having problems with the font color. The light font is starting to bother my eyes as well.

Everyman wrote:

Yuk! I hate the new look. It's very hard to read, no division between threads, at least it seems since it's so faint. Please change it! :smileysad:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: A New Look for Book Clubs : PLEASE CHANGE THIS FORMAT QUICKLY!

[ Edited ]
I heartily agree Everyman and have posted about this in Penelope's Place this morning and have also written to Kevin. This new format is a great mistake and in fact contravenes international recommendations on web design regarding luminosity and contrast. I hope B&N rethink this format very quickly or I fear they will lose many readers with weaker eyesight, not just the elderly. My astigmatism is corrected by spectacles and I generally have no trouble with reading either books or online but I find this ultra-pale format very difficult to read and, like you, have suffered eye strain because of it. I know that you have had a great deal of trouble with your eyes this year and I truly sympathise with you.

(Admin: BTW What are 'breadcrumbs' other than what I have in my kitchen? Please avoid jargon wherever possible.)

Everyman wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 09-28-2007 05:46 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

The problem is with the luminosity and contrast and Firefox will not help. I found putting on my sunspecs helps but that is a drastic solution! It also might help if we reduce the Brightness of our screens but then we have to change back when we go onto other sites and why should we. A serious mistake has been made here and it should be corrected a.s.a.p.

vivico1 wrote:

foxycat wrote:

Rochelle, I can still get it on my firefox but these colors are really really had with so little contrast! I keep having to even look at main pages over and over to find the threads I used to easily find. You said on firefox you could change print to black on white? on options? can you tell me how you do that and I can see if it works in here. thanks.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Overall, the graphic design of the New Look for Book Clubs has an elegant tone.

The striped wallpaper pattern is a nice use of B&N corporate colors. The photographic motifs of pens, coffee cups, authors' photographs and book covers .... very tastefully executed.

In general, the graphics are lovely.

But I do agree with many posters that the grayed text is difficult to read for readers with poor eyesight. Enlarging the font size may be helpful, and making the font solid black (or even a very dark, dark brown) may be a fine design alternative.

I suspect you will get a tsunami of comments, mostly negative. I've fdiscovered that in my career as a web designer, it takes several tries to satisfy the majority of users.

Message Edited by IBIS on 09-28-2007 10:11 AM

Message Edited by IBIS on 09-28-2007 10:15 AM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
ARMYRANGER
0 Kudos

WHY??? The Old B&N University was great, but it was changed to the Book Club format which most seem to agree is an inferior product, now that is being further degraded with this optically-ergonomically incorrect (sorry but no other way to describe it) color scheme. It really does make my eyes burn after about 10 minutes..... and I'm only 43. Bring back the old B&N University format.....please!!!!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:
Thirdly, and worst, the site no longer works with Firefox. The links produce javascript errors.

Have you upgraded to the latest version of Firefox? I have version 2.0.0.6, and it works fine. Of course, I can barely read it, but at least the links work.
0 Kudos

On my screen, the division between the top section, floated threads and the bottom section has disappeared. This makes it much harder to locate those threads with new messages, which used to be very easy to find. Can you please restore the clear division between those sections so it's easy to scroll down to find the threads with new messages? This is particularly important in those boards with many floated threads where you have to scroll down to get to where the threads with new messages start.
0 Kudos

I also find the older format much easier to work with. The overall display is too bright with the new format and the text is hard to read. The overall effect is that it is tiring on the eyes.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisia noted that she had tried using sunglasses to read the screen. I've tried that, too, and find that it does mute the brigheness of the screen, though it doesn't help with the faintness of the type.

rbehr wrote:
I also find the older format much easier to work with. The overall display is too bright with the new format and the text is hard to read. The overall effect is that it is tiring on the eyes.

0 Kudos

(Admin: BTW What are 'breadcrumbs' other than what I have in my kitchen? Please avoid jargon wherever possible.)

Got me on that one, too. LOL And I got teenagers! Haven't heard that expression, please let us know so I can start using it too. hehehehe :smileywink:
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

"breadcrumbs" stopped me, too, and I have lived my life in the computer/telecom industries. My best guess is that we used to have a series of addresses that we could click on and be taken back to that level in the (addressing) hierarchy. Each step (address) in that series would be a "breadcrumb." At least, it was the loss of that feature that blew my mind this morning -- because that is where/how I checked if other boards had new messages I wanted to check out.

This time, I have discovered that there is another way to get there: the choice called "All Discussions" next to "Important Links." Now, once I figure out the layout on the page it takes me to once again, I'll be okay on that feature. (That page changed a few months ago -- to my mind, its gotten harder to use each time, but I can see that is a difficult problem as boards proliferate. So long as change isn't too frequent or some pattern of change evolves, I think most of us will only wince and re-learn our individual patterns.)

But, like the other posters here, I make a plea to fix the contrast issues.

Jessica, check out Penelope's Place on the EPIC board if you are up for another statement of dismay on the apparent lack of user testing and ergonomics analysis that was provided to the technical developers on this one. Where were the systems analysts, the product managers, the market managers? The gate reviews? And, yes, this is a wonderful gift B&N provides. But why degrade a good thing? Enough ranting from here for now. :smileyvery-happy: But, if you need help in communicating the case, I'm available.

cindersue wrote:

Got me on that one, too. LOL And I got teenagers! Haven't heard that expression, please let us know so I can start using it too. hehehehe :smileywink:
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

I like the new look. I do agree that the font color needs to be darkened so that it is easier on the eyes. Other then that I have no other complaints.
Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I can't see any division lines on the screen at all! I agree with you about finding the threads. My eye condition, acute astigmatism, which is quite a common one I believe, reacts badly to bright conditions and the overall appearance of the screen is very very bright - clear divisions would help to break that brightness up.

I understand that Admin are working on it - let us hope they come up with an improvement sooner rather than later.

Everyman wrote:
On my screen, the division between the top section, floated threads and the bottom section has disappeared. This makes it much harder to locate those threads with new messages, which used to be very easy to find. Can you please restore the clear division between those sections so it's easy to scroll down to find the threads with new messages? This is particularly important in those boards with many floated threads where you have to scroll down to get to where the threads with new messages start.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

"breadcrumbs" stopped me, too, and I have lived my life in the computer/telecom industries. My best guess is that we used to have a series of addresses that we could click on and be taken back to that level in the (addressing) hierarchy. Each step (address) in that series would be a "breadcrumb." At least, it was the loss of that feature that blew my mind this morning -- because that is where/how I checked if other boards had new messages I wanted to check out.
-----------------------------------------

Hey, maybe we have a classical reference here. Didn't Hansel and Gretel leave breadcrumbs so they could find their way back home. Unfortunately, I think something came along and ate them so they couldn't find their way back. Maybe the same thing has happened here. :smileyhappy: