Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Coming Soon: Center Stage

[ Edited ]

We're excited to announce a new experience for talking with your favorite authors at B&N.com.

Starting in December 2007, we're going to host author appearances in the Center Stage book club.

Here, we'll feature one author per week, and the conversation will include not just their latest book, but all of their books. More to the point, it's an opportunity to ask your favorite authors the "big picture" questions about their books, how they write, and much more.

In December, we'll welcome several authors with holiday-themed books to the Book Clubs:

• Mary Kay Andrews, known for her funny, breezy mysteries, just re-released Blue Christmas. Mary Kay will be here the week of November 26-30.
  • Anne Perry, prolific mystery writer with more than 45 titles, just released A Christmas Beginning. Anne will be here the week of December 3-7.
  • And Christopher Moore, known for his outlandish plots and outrageous characters, had a hit with his bestseller, Lamb (The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal). Chris will be here the week of December 10-14.
  • The new Center Stage message board will be going up soon -- stay tuned for that announcement. Once it's live, feel free to go ahead and start posting your questions for the authors, prior to their arrival. And moving forward, we'll announce well in advance of who is coming, and in which week.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 04:58 PM

Scribe
    vivico1
    0 Kudos

Re: Coming Soon: Center Stage

Jessica,
    Is this how all the author involved bookclubs are going to be from now on? One week with an author about all of their books? Or is this just for Dec? I sure would hate to lose that one on one discussion with them about one book like we have now, some of us have really gotten to know the authors very well now and really delve into just one book, especially when we dont know any others of theirs. I think this will be nice in addition to what we have now, to have a forum for basically general questions to an author for a week, but sure hope its not replacing what we have now, a "one" book, bookclub. Sometimes it takes some of us the month to get through a book (especially books we can't buy till they come out the month of the club) and the authors are great at going along with us and letting one story develop. We have lots of convos with them too that are more than a Q&A style forum where they dont get to know us much, or visa versa. So whats the scoop on the monthly author clubs Jessica. TYIA :smileyhappy:
    Vivian
    ~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
    Inspired Scribe
    IBIS
    0 Kudos

I concur with Vivian. I hope that Center Stage, which sounds very unique, is in addition to the Meet the Author discussions. It would sadden me if B&N discontinued it.
    IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
    Wordsmith
    kiakar
    0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
    I concur with Vivian. I hope that Center Stage, which sounds very unique, is in addition to the Meet the Author discussions. It would sadden me if B&N discontinued it.

Jessica, I certainly hope so too. Why does B and N feel they need to keep making changes to this concept they already have? It feels to me like its a success. Do you all? Isn't it? Why is it forever changing. I too hope, this is the only kind of author change you will make and still have the others that stay on a month. Hopefully this is just another new club and all the others will stay like before!!!! PLEASE!
    Distinguished Bibliophile
    KathyS
    0 Kudos

Linda, just a thought -

I don't think B and N will change the Monthly program, with ongoing authors, as it stands now. It sounds like it's just an 'addition' to the holiday months that are a little slow, which is usually the months (in the old BandN) where discussions were shut down. Sounds like a wonderful thing, just to have the author on without the pressure of having to buy, read, and discuss for a month, for those people who have already read a lot of these authors' novels, but just want the chance to talk to the authors. You know, just to say Hi, thanks....I love your books!

And it's also a way to promote new readers. Hearing from other readers, is always a good thing!

Kathy S.
    Scribe
    vivico1
    0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
    Linda, just a thought -

I don't think B and N will change the Monthly program, with ongoing authors, as it stands now. It sounds like it's just an 'addition' to the holiday months that are a little slow, which is usually the months (in the old BandN) where discussions were shut down. Sounds like a wonderful thing, just to have the author on without the pressure of having to buy, read, and discuss for a month, for those people who have already read a lot of these authors' novels, but just want the chance to talk to the authors. You know, just to say Hi, thanks....I love your books!

And it's also a way to promote new readers. Hearing from other readers, is always a good thing!

Kathy S.

Lets hope thats all it is, an addition to what we have now. I wouldnt mind that for Dec, get a feel for some new authors, but I dont want each month to just do a Q&A type of thing to an author about all their books, when I may not have read but one I am working on and wanting to visit with them like now. I would hate to find a new author I like but have other books of theirs spoiled for me by discussions on all their books, bummer. Everyone keep your fingers crossed :smileywink: .
    Vivian
    ~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
    Scribe
    Laurel
    0 Kudos

I think having some one-week appearances will add a lot of energy to the discussions.

KathyS wrote:
    Linda, just a thought -

Kathy S.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
    Distinguished Bibliophile
    KathyS
    0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:
    Linda, just a thought -

Kathy S.

Lets hope thats all it is, an addition to what we have now. I wouldnt mind that for Dec, get a feel for some new authors, but I dont want each month to just do a Q&A type of thing to an author about all their books, when I may not have read but one I am working on and wanting to visit with them like now. I would hate to find a new author I like but have other books of theirs spoiled for me by discussions on all their books, bummer. Everyone keep your fingers crossed :smileywink: .

Good points, Vivian. I hadn't thought about the spoiler aspect. Fingers, AND toes are crossed!
    Kathy S.
    Scribe
    vivico1
    0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:
    Linda, just a thought -

Kathy S.

Good points, Vivian. I hadn't thought about the spoiler aspect. Fingers, AND toes are crossed!
    Kathy S.

Well we see the list for December out now already and no month long author ones, so has anyone gotten an answer yet about if this is how its going to be after December? No more month long author ones about one book? I dont know any of these authors, and havent read any of their books to read just one to get in a couple of questions for one week and then maybe have other books of theirs spoiled for me by others asking about their other books. So anyone know anything about January? I sure hope we get to have the month long ones still, or even just a two week one but with the author here for ONE book, not their writing in general. I have been doing nothing but author ones since the change because its been fun to talk to the authors for a month and get to know them and have fun with one book with them. Someone post something if you hear from anyone what is up after the holidays. PLEASE!
    Vivian
    Inspired Contributor
    Choisya
    0 Kudos

This sounds like a good idea Jessica and as Laurel comments, should add some energy to the discussions.

It is a lovely idea to be discussing The Christmas Carol at this time of the year too:smileyhappy:.

Might I suggest that next time you announce the books being read on Literature by Women and the Epics threads, you add that they are led by Reader-Moderators, Melissa and Laurel. They both do such sterling unpaid work that I think they deserve acknowledgement.
    dhaupt
    0 Kudos

Jessica,
    What a great idea. I am so impressed with Barnes & Noble's inventive ways to get the public involved in reading. I can't wait.
    Inspired Scribe
    IBIS
    0 Kudos

Thank You Moderators!!!!!

I would like to express my thanks to the wonderful moderators that I've met during the TALK WITH AUTHORS and TALK ABOUT BOOKS -- Rachel Kubie, Becke Davis and Jessica.

Thank you all for your insightful questions and discussions leadership. Your presence has stretched my appreciation for, and understanding of the books that we've discussed.

I'm sorry to see that these categories are being discontinued. And I agree that some authors may find a month-long commitment dragging at the end.

I'm looking forward to joining the week-long chats of Center Stage. A week will maintain an energetic dynamic that wouldn't be the same for a longer timeframe.

IBIS
    IBIS

Frequent Contributor
    Jessica
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
    Hi Everyone,

Hey, just to be clear -- Center Stage is just an addition to our current book club offerings!

We'll still have all the genre boards (a few new ones are in the works), the monthlong moderator-led discussions of books, and where it's warranted, authors participating in monthlong discussions of books.

(Exciting, right?)

Jessica

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-08-2007 11:30 AM
    Frequent Contributor
    Jessica
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Choisya wrote: Might I suggest that next time you announce the books being read on Literature by Women and the Epics threads, you add that they are led by Reader-Moderators, Melissa and Laurel. They both do such sterling unpaid work that I think they deserve acknowledgement.

Hi C,
    Actually, the December Schedule shows the full lineup for the month. (This "Center Stage" post was just to announce the new addition.)
    Jessica

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-08-2007 11:31 AM
    Inspired Scribe
    IBIS
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
    Jessica, thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding. As you can see, I'm easily confused(!)

That's wonderful news.

Message Edited by IBIS on 11-08-2007 11:34 AM
    IBIS

Inspired Contributor
    Choisya
    0 Kudos

Yes I know but somehow I couldn't log into the December Schedule thread:smileysad:.

Jessica wrote:

Choisya wrote: Might I suggest that next time you announce the books being read on Literature by Women and the Epics threads, you add that they are led by Reader-Moderators, Melissa and Laurel. They both do such sterling unpaid work that I think they deserve acknowledgement.

Hi C,
    Actually, the December Schedule shows the full lineup for the month. (This "Center Stage" post was just to announce the new addition.)
    Jessica

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-08-2007 11:31 AM

Scribe
    vivico1
    0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

Hey, just to be clear -- Center Stage is just an addition to our current book club offerings!

We'll still have all the genre boards (a few new ones are in the works), the monthlong moderator-led discussions of books, and where it's warranted, authors participating in monthlong discussions of books.

(Exciting, right?)

Jessica

Hey, I am excited, if you are saying we will still have month long author participating clubs on ONE book at a time like now too. I love discussing one book and to have the author there for one book, not all their works you may not know, has been great. I am a bit concerned that you wrote it as " and where it's warranted....". Again, does that mean we will not have at least 5 books with authors to chose from or just an author participation book once in a while that we will know about just when it comes up? Dont mean to be a pain here, honest, but trying to figure out what we are doing in "actual" terms. It makes a big difference on what you can do and what books you may be thinking of buying for gifts too.
    Vivian
    Inspired Correspondent
    Wrighty
    0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Jessica wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

(Exciting, right?)

Jessica

Hey, I am excited, if you are saying we will still have month long author participating clubs on ONE book at a time like now too. I love discussing one book and to have the author there for one book, not all their works you may not know, has been great. I am a bit concerned that you wrote it as " and where it's warranted....". Again, does that mean we will not have at least 5 books with authors to chose from or just an author participation book once in a while that we will know about just when it comes up? Dont mean to be a pain here, honest, but trying to figure out what we are doing in "actual" terms. It makes a big difference on what you can do and what books you may be thinking of buying for gifts too.

I like the idea of the new additions and look forward to more. It's nice to have some variety. I'm sure it's hard to get authors to commit to much time for the month of December anyway. Like Vivian, I was also concerned when you said "as warranted". Will the author participation clubs be changing? Will we have fewer than we already do? I really look forward to those each month.
    Wordsmith
    kiakar
    0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

(Exciting, right?)

Jessica

Thank goodness! But we aren't having a month long writer for December? That is sad since their are so many Christmas books out! Dorothea Frank,Andrigana Trigini,Debbie McComber, and they all have appeared on before and probably would come back. I have not read any of the authors mentioned on the weekly thing.
    Frequent Contributor
    Jessica
    0 Kudos

Now OPEN: Center Stage

Hi Everyone, Center Stage is now open! Our first guest author, Mary Kay Andrews will join the conversation from November 26 to November 30. But visit the board today to post your questions for her. Visit Center Stage.