Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

NOOK Color Update 1.4

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone

Starting today, NOOK Color owners have access to firmware version 1.4.1, our largest software update ever, that makes the award winning NOOK Color even better. With over 100 feature enhancements, you’ll now be able to access  top video and music services, even more popular apps, NOOK Comics™ and so much more.

In addition, the software update makes it easier than ever to find great new content with a new, enhanced shop experience.  With just a tap, you can shop the redesigned NOOK Store to find your next great read, kids’ book, newsstand title or app—plus get recommendations.  And in response to customer feedback, you can now read books in both portrait or landscape and adjust the text with even more font sizes to choose from.  These are just some of the new, exciting features to enjoy on NOOK Color with our v1.4 software update. For a full break down of whats in store, please go here.

You can sideload the update here immediately at no cost: www.nookcolor.com/update. The free over the air (OTA) delivery to customers connected to Wi-Fi begins this week.

As always, reach out to me with questions or comments!

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Contributor
dtmarshall
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Color Update 1.4

Huzzah!

Don't Panic.
New User
fhrivers
0 Kudos

Does it fix the performance problems with large books like the Bible where it freezes up and takes seconds to flip pages?  This isn't a processor issue since this problem doesn't exist in the Nook App running on CM7. 

New User
gyeymom
0 Kudos

Followed instructions to sideload as with past updates.  Pasted unopened, untouched zip file into main directory of Nook drive, safely removed hardware and usb connection; should I see any sort of install progress indicator?  There has been no restart, nothing.  Don't mind waiting for wifi update, but have had no problems with past manual updates.  Where could I have gone wrong? Thanks so much.  My first post.  Very happy Nook owner for over a year!

Frequent Contributor
pyrexa
0 Kudos

My update was sucessfull.  Started as soon as nook went to sleep.  I have my screen set on 2 min to sleep to save battery so it happened pretty quick.  Allready tested the Netflix ap.  :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
pyrexa
0 Kudos

Let me clarify.  I sideloaded as instructed, undocked and waited for nook to fall asleep.  Then the install started. 

New User
megan1645
0 Kudos

i tried to update as well and it didnt work. i called the number and they said it comes out tmrw. but i see that some peopl have already gotten the update........

New User
megan1645
0 Kudos

tried again and it finally worked!! i have no clue why it didnt work earlier but it is working now

Reader 2
Kuklaguera
0 Kudos

Greymom - I also downloaded this a.m. and nothing happened. (It automatically shut off & uploaded with previous upgrades). Tonight (after reading posts from others), I turned my NC completely off, turned it back on, nothing seemed to be happening, so I turned on WiFi (I get only 1-2 bar signal in my apt - I don't have WiFi), then I tapped on Library button at bottom, which took me to a page with the Sync blue circle in bottom left. I hit that and suddenly, the Nook was turning itself off. After this, my update successfully installed. Hope this helps.

Reader 2
Kuklaguera
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Color Update 1.4 - new setting "B&N Content Storage Available"

What is that all about? I'm confused! It says my B&N Content Storage is at 64% (595MB free out of 0.92G).  I have 96% free (4.76 GB out of 5.00GB) in "Other Storage Available" (and I have an unused SD card installed too).

Reader
CalifVW

I just updated my NC.  I love that we can now get Netflicks.  I like some of the other features.  The internet does seem to be faster, which is good. 

But I hate... having to use the "N" button for everything.  I also hate the new Shopping formate.  It looks so old fashioned compared to the 1.3 version.  How am I going to see "Free Fridays" books?

Contributor
cpollan27

I just got the new update, and am trying out some of the new features. I'll admit that having to use the logo button to access the quick access toolbar is a little annoying, but I have a feeling that the benefits of the update will outweigh the downsides. We will get used to the changes made to the library as well as the shop format.

Contributor
aberrant

[ Edited ]

I have to agree with CalifVW on these points. I liked the touch feature to go back home on the old version, as well as the previous store layout. What's up with that floating menu at the top? It doesn't utilize the space well at all and many of the icons for the sections are just repeated. B&N, you're trying to do too much here...make it simple and functional. The old store format was much better in my opinon. Going to post this in the NC Ideas and Suggestions thread.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

My computer will not recognize the NOOK, is there anyother way to get the update? Tried doing it on the NOOK from my email, it downloaded it and then said it couldn't open the file.

Reader 2
DesertWalker
0 Kudos

Just a comment. I was having a problem with my computer seeing my NOOK, but I "wiggled" the connection and it popped up. I was having a problem with my cable. B/N sent me a new one and it works great.

Frequent Contributor
MarvinQ

Great update,  just gotta get used to it thats all

im pretty sure its for the greater good =)

stop complaining and just move on, in a month we wont even notice the change anymore.

Im very happy with the update. :manhappy:

New User
Jess_W93
0 Kudos

I recently heard that there was going to be a new automatic update for the Nook Color. I didnt get an update, all I got was problems with my Nook Color, it wont stay on and it keeps freezing up and stayslike that until the battery dies, I charge it but only to repeat the process over again. Anyone know what is wrong?

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

[ Edited ]

Jess_W93 wrote:

I recently heard that there was going to be a new automatic update for the Nook Color. I didnt get an update, all I got was problems with my Nook Color, it wont stay on and it keeps freezing up and stayslike that until the battery dies, I charge it but only to repeat the process over again. Anyone know what is wrong?

If you did not sideload the update you probably do not have it yet. As for the way your nook nook is acting, I would take it to my local B&N right away, or call customer service. In my opinion I would try the store first, plus they can update your nook for you.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Frequent Contributor
MarvinQ
0 Kudos

yeah taking it to the store sounds like a great idea!

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP

I went to the store today, they did the upgrade there, their computer still didn't recognize my Nook, they used their cord and it worked, They gave me a new cord.